“A little piece of Paradise!”

Mantaray Island Resort
Galway
“A little piece of Paradise!”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

By far the best resort I stayed in on the Yasawa's, indeed in Fiji, in fact in all my trip around the globe. The resort is not too big, not too small. A good mix of singles and couples, some families or parts thereof. Food was excellent, up with the very best, but food plan was not expensive at all. Welcome was great and we were spoilt until we left. Lots of free local activities, basket weaving, 101 things to do with a coconut! tree climbing.... all delivered with the Fijian smile you become accostumed to whilst on the resort. Good bar, stays open till 1am, and powered site 24 hours (some are not). The snorkelling is on par with that of Great Barrier reef, lots of fish, and got to see a shark on the last day (if you go out deep enough). Snorkelling is easy, just off the beach. Owned by a very nice Swedish lady who started small and has grown to a very manageable size. Bures were clean and eating areas very socialable, good for both couples and people travelling alone, did I say the food was excellent, a la carte with choices - spoilt!!. I was on Beachcomber, LongBeach, Gold Coast and Manataray, and I'd rate Mantaray well ahead of all the rest. Beachcomber was lowder and more fun at night (disco's etc) - but for a lazy few days in total bliss head to Mantary - I'll be back!!

The only downside - The dive gear is exceelent for day dives, but I was disappointed with night dives. A lazy "walk up the beach and drift" dive. They do need to invest a small amount in their night dive equipment lamps etc...

Hope to see them again,
Damien, Ireland.

Room Tip: Talk to the resort yourself... don't book through the boat or an agent if possible..
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank SPIDERBEAR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

This was our first time in Fiji, we stayed at several resorts (island hopping) and this was one of the best! We stayed in a Jungle Bure which was lovely, the food was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful. It is a resort for younger people and couples more than families. We had an amazing time and ended up staying longer than planned!

Room Tip: Snorkelling is only $20 for the whole of your stay! It is a must - the reef is amazing!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We arrived at the resort only to find that due to a mistake at their end they'd booked us into a dorm instead of a double and there was no availability in the private rooms. Given we were on our honeymoon this wasn't ideal, but we were offered an upgrade for one night as recompense. In the end there was a no show and we were offered a simple private for one night, which was later further upgraded to a beachfront en-suite double, a generous touch in the end and one that was appreciated. The staff were friendly and enthusiastic and interacted well with guests of different ages and from different backgrounds. The highlight however was the snorkelling with the manta rays, this experience cannot be adequately described, it is simply awesome in the truest sense of the world. We saw around 7 rays, all enormous and the guides and spotters did an excellent job in order to maximise our chances of seeing and getting close to these magnificent creatures.

Room Tip: The beachfront ensuite bures are far superior to the smaller private rooms with shared bathrooms
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Howellsey
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I went to Mantaray Resort originally to stay 3 nights, we ended up extending untill the day before we had to fly back home to Canada for 4 extra nights. Scuba diving was unreal, staff was amazing and so friendly. The food was delicious! One night we caught a lobster while scuba diving and the chef cooked the most amazing lobster meal i have ever had.... seriously!! If you are a friendly person and want to have a good time, this staff will make sure of that. I am still friends with the Divemaster there Joe, and talk to him all the time on the computer! I would go back to Fiji in a heartbeat just to stay at this place. Had such a great experience. <3 <3 i MISS YOUUU MANTA RAYYYYY

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I've read many of the other reviews regarding Mantaray Island Resort and I cannot agree with the ones that give it a less than positive review. I've given it the full 5 dots, here's why;

My wife and I went there mainly to go diving. The house reef and other dive locations were incredible. Joe, Tuks, Meuni and Lou from the dive shop could not be more helpful, professional or friendly. After breakfast each morning, our gear was already set up for us and we need only walk onto the boat. Tuks, our Dive Master, happily catered for our needs by finding interesting things to photograph and marine life to play with and allowing time to stop an take photos rather than just madly swimming through a pre-defined course like many other operators do. We wanted to do a cave dive, a night dive and a shark dive - no problems. At the end of the dive, the boys would offer to carry all of our gear up to the dive shop, wash it, store it and prep it ready for our next dive. I've worked as a DM and so I chose to help out with the lugging of gear and cleaning wherever I could. It's a great way to build friends with the staff.

We stayed 7 nights in one of the newly renovated Jungle Bures. Our bure was clean, quite, attractive, very functional and had its own ensuite complete with hot water. I highly reccommend getting a jungle bure if you plan on staying a while. At this stage, the resort doesn't have water flushing toilets but again, our toilet was clean, odourless and competely hassle free. The bed was very comfortable and my wife and I slept very well. The view from our front door was amazing and we had our own private balcony and sun lounges to enjoy it from.

The food was excellent. Each day there is a buffet styled all you can eat breakfast. Lunch and dinner are slightly different as you chose from 4-6 different meals on offer for that lunch/dinner session. Meals choices generally cover European, Indian and Fijian styled dishes so there's going to be something there you'll enjoy. We ate with many backpackers who came through Mantaray on a multi-resort package and every single one of them were amazed at the quality, presentation and serving size of the meals. Without fail, they told me it was the best food from any resort in the Yasawa group of islands they'd experienced. My wife and I were impressed too. Dinner also comes complete with entrees.

There are many activities to do on the island if you take the time to talk to the staff. The island is obviously geared towards water sports with activities like swimming, diving, snorkelling, kayking, tubing and fishing however there are many land based activites from village visits and bat treks to craft activities, beach volleyball and of course sun baking. There's a beach bar which will also do wood fired pizzas and wraps for you too. There are a few tracks across the island so you can get away from the resort if you want and still stay dry. The views on the tracks make the effort worth while.

Nearly every review I've read talks positively about the house reef located just a few feet from the shore line right in front of the resort. Let me assure you, it is worth every compliment. It is incredible. The reef is protected by the resort so the marine life is stunning and it is easily access by people of all levels of ability for free. I could have easily spent half a dozen dives/snorkels photographing what this one reef has to offer. The resort has installed permanent moorings and even designated a entry/exit boating channel to minimise impact on the reef. As for the night life, just ask Joe or Justin for a game of Troll... if you're game!

The staff were very friendly and keen to hang out with you when able. If you have any questions, concerns or ideas, let them know, because they'll go out of their way to accommodate you if possible.

The resort guests are mostly backpackers on multi-resort passes however Mantaray does cater for older travellers like myself who want to stay a while. If you go there with a spirit of adventure, keen to make new friends daily, and enquire about what you can do, you'll have an incredible time too. My wife and I have made so many new friends from all over the world and we're already making plans to go back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Jungle bures have their own private ensuite complete with hot water.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Keiferd
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I cannot understand the reviews that knock the place.If you go to Fiji you are not going to a New York or London hotel. You have to have the attitude that you are in a different and beautiful country and your enjoyable experience there will come from appreciating that. At Mantaray you have snorkelling 10 feet away in a marine park! You have mantas tumbling under you in the coral spawn. You have wonderful young people who will talk with almost anyone unless you start crapping on about how powerful you are back home. The dive staff including James, Joe and Justin are first class, well trained and conscious of your safety.The Fijian staff are in the main wonderful people who genuinely want to hear about your country and what you are enjoying in their island.Make sure you do the Sunset Beach on your own or with someone you love.I have been to Kuata 3 x and Mantaray twice ad will go back again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Nelson
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I have been to this island several times and have always had an awesome time. The atmosphere is great; there are reclining seats on the sand to relax on during the day and there's an awesome beach side bar that comes alive at night. It compares favourably to Beachcomber as a party island, and it's easy to meet people and have an amazing night.
You can't beat the snorkeling, with an awesome reef right off the beach. The accommodation is good, with varied options depending on budget. I stayed in the Treehouse Bure, which was a private room and very comfortable, as well as the Paradise Dorm; it was fairly standard but the price is hard to beat. There are also Jungle Bures, which are the next step up in luxury. The food is great and there are enough options for everyone to find something they want.
The diving was amazing; I did some beginner dives the first time and returned to do my certification. The dive instructor really knows his stuff. I was also one of the privileged to have the chance to swim with a pod of dolphins that we came across on the way to a dive. During the 'dry season', (May-ish to October-ish) there are Mantarays in the channel, which the guests can snorkel with; I did this twice and it was breathtaking.
The staff are awesome, the owners always happy to get to know travelers staying there and the Fijians always helpful and friendly. I have had some amazing times at Manta Ray and created memories that I'll never forget. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Only the Jungle Bure's have bathrooms in the room. If you're traveling with a friend or two...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanuya
Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Octopus Resort
Octopus Resort
#1 of 3 in Waya Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,234 reviews

Been to Mantaray Island Resort? Share your experiences!