“Jungle Bure Bliss”

Mantaray Island Resort
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The jungle bure should be called a beach bure, because from your own private bure balcony its only 10 steps down and you are on the beach. The Jungle Bures are set along a lovely landscaped garden path and are away from the party end where the bar is situated - all we could hear at night was the ocean. There is a mix of people at this resort and the food is pretty good, lots of vege options. The snorkelling with the Matarays was out of this world. The only downside is that at low tide you cannot go snorkelling and the water is very shallow for swimming. The Island hike was fun, and the staff are very helpful.

2  Thank susiecampgirl

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I've fallen in love with Mantaray Island. We stayed 5 nights in June and had the most amazing time - 5 nights was not enough! We were in Jungle Bure 7 which was clean and comfortable and had full bathroom amentities as well as reserved sun lounges and hammock. It's well worth paying the extra for a Jungle Bure if you can. The food was fantastic and there was plenty of it. The staff were all so helpful and friendly - wonderful, wonderful people!

Be warned - this is a rustic resort so if you're after 5 stars then it's not for you! Whilst most people who stayed at the same time as us were very happy, there were a few people who I suspect didn't do their homework and it came as a shock to them.

We travelled with a group of friends and we all found it very relaxing and there was plenty to see and do. The snorkelling is amazing (even for someone as nervous as I am) and is just metres off the beach.

There are a lot of young backpackers (we are a good 15-20 years older than a lot of them) but there was also a good mix of other ages and everyone got along well.

Room Tip: Jungle Bures have a bathroom with hot water and are generally a bit further away from the bar - whic...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ellecelle
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I really can't complain about anything at Mantaray Island Resort. I stayed in the treehouse bure, so I did have to use the shared bathroom and cold showers. The cold showers were a little tough, but not a big deal. It was still worth it to me, and the shared, waterless toilet area was not an issue to me at all. I love how they keep the island as natural as possible and I think it is worth roughing it a little for keeping these islands amazing and from being developed on too much. The bure itself was just what I needed - room for a bed - private from the dorm. 30 feet from the beach front. The bures are close together, for me I didn't care. They are close to the bar area also which may have some noise some nights but that didn't bother me either. It didn't keep me up. I slept like a baby.

It was an awesome experience to swim with the mantarays, and the snorkeling right in front of the resort is by far the best that I have seen in the World. To me, the affordable price that you pay in order to be in such a prime location is a no brainer, and I would absolutely go back. I am trying to plan a trip for the future to bring friends and family so they can also experience it.

The food is the best. It is an amazing deal. It is basically $47 american dollars per day, and you get an awesome buffet breakfast, 14+ menu items for lunch with everything from fish to salads or sandwiches to pasta - anything you are in the mood for, and the dinner is always something different with soup, an appetizer, entree, and dessert. You could never afford to eat like that every day for $47 anywhere else.

The alcoholic beverages are pricey. They are about $10 american, and they measure about one little shot of alcohol in them. Wasn't a big deal, had the mixed drinks sparingly and stuck to the beer. Which was reasonable at 3 american dollars! This place is an absolute steal - they do not overcharge on anything. You will not find better prices on snorkel gear rental, trips, scuba diving, mantaray swimming (only $19 US dollars!!)

I would say the only tiny little upset I had was that we were not able to go on a fishing trip. We decided we wanted to go deep sea fishing when we had about 3 days left and it got too windy to make this happen. Not mantaray resort's fault at all! They can not control the weather, however you do have to keep these things in mind. If you spend a day there you need to know it may not always be possible to see the manta rays or do exactly what you want to do based on nature. The employees do everything they can possibly do to accomodate you and make sure you have a good time.

The bottom line is - if you are a high maintenance person - you will probably have complaints.

If you are realistic and your priorities are location, experience, affordability - you will not be disappointed.

You can not have it all. You would not have such amazing snorkeling, and paradise in a place where you also want to develop with infrastructure. So if you are looking for a fancy resort with a gorgeous bathroom and all the luxuries in the World, then go somewhere else.

Room Tip: A lot of young backpackers in the dorm. The treehouse bures are basically a bed in a room, but right...
2  Thank Michelle L
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Visited Mantaray Island Resort with some friends recently and had a fantastic time.

The food is great, the accomodation is good and the staff and very friendly.

This is definitely not a place for someone wanting a five start resort, but if you are after somewhere more like a beach house you can't go past it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My adult daughter and I spent 4 nights at Mantaray in April 2014.We had a comfortable stay in a bungalow with shared bathroom facilities which were always clean and well presented.They hill top restaurant for meals was great fun with communal tables being a great way to meat so many interesting people. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff right across all areas for their warmth and hospitality. A variety of activities are available,we loved the sunset tube cruise,the village visit and guided kayaking and snorkeling.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank footlooseTasmania
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We had an amazing time at Mantaray Resort last week! The mantaray swim was the experience of a lifetime and the snorkeling out in front of the resort was also amazing. The kayaks are free and my husband and I were able to ride to a private island to have all to ourselves. "Solo" was a sweetheart and provided really fun games after dinner and the staff was overall very friendly, especially the bartender Jimmy & Rachel & Trainee.
The ONLY thing that was very surprising/upsetting was that we booked a "treehouse" and there was NO bathroom! We were on our honeymoon so this was NOT ok. The "treehouse" was also tiny and in NO way was located in a tree and definitely was NOT a "house".
I think the website needs to be more up front as this resort is more of a backpackers style w/ one multi stall shared bathroom with no running water, and only COLD shared showers. :( no bueno. Their jungle bures had bathrooms but none were available to upgrade to.
We made the best of it but would have never booked there if we had known these facts so I just want to share w/ others.

Room Tip: Only the jungle bure has a private bathroom and the shared bathrooms have no running water and the s...
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in March 2014 in the dorm accommodation. I really enjoyed my stay here. The accommodation was excellent, I did have reservations about the dorm before arriving (mainly because it was 32beds!) but it was really comfortable, clean and I slept really well there!
The island is beautiful with excellent snorkelling straight off the beach and amazing diving. I went diving twice during my time there and I would highly recommend it. The snorkelling off the beach is the best I've ever seen, so you don't need to be a diver to appreciate all the underwater activity.
The resort is the only development on the island so that means you have to sign up for the meal plan rather than self cater. The food was excellent though with plenty of choice aswell.
There were lots of activities you could do if you got bored of sunbathing. Everyday there would be guided bush walks (I did one that took us to a deserted beautiful beach which was amazing!), kayaking and beach volleyball. Some staff also taught us crafts like basket making, jewellery making etc.
Fiji is an amazing place to unwind and the staff here at the resort were amazingly attentive, I really couldn't fault this place. I'd love to come back here and I'd highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
#1 of 3 in Waya Island
Barefoot Manta Island
Barefoot Manta Island
#1 of 1 in Drawaqa Island

Been to Mantaray Island Resort? Share your experiences!