“Terrible experience”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Salybia
Trinidad
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2008

I visited this hotel over the Easter Weekend 2008 as I could not leave Trinidad to visit Tobago which was my first choice destination.
As I entered the hotel the ambience was lovely and the exterior seemed to match the hype posted on the website (ultimate rustic elegance) that's where the fun ended.

The check in process was slower than normal because the credit machine was not working properly and kept redialing.
While waiting on that I had to wait further as the receptionist needed to respond to a text that she had just gotten while i was still standing there.
Then I had to wait on the porter to come get my bags.

On to the room.
The rooms were far from elegant and definitley basic .There was a mould colony growing on the walls and linens were dingy.

The Pool
The pool was in desperate need of a cleaning and was far from appealing. I could see stuff floating in the water (wrappers , etc)

The Dinner
This was the horror of all horrors the dinner was boufet style and the choices were turkey/ fish, Lentil peas, rice, mashed potatoes, salad.
Definitely the worst boufet I had ever seen, and it tasted as bad as it looked. I went to sleep hungry and it cost me 400 TT dollars for that meal.

Needles to say I wont be returning to this hotel, and to all visitors to Trinidad please dont go here, our twin island republic has many more beautiful places ,and if you do go here please dont judge us by this hotel, a short trip to toabgo would reveal what paradise really is.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Disliked — FOOD
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank nazim_mhmmd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2008

I have read all the commentary about this place however as luck would have it my job required me to be there for a retreat. I managed to steal away during a break to the SPA which i have to say is truuuly divine. EXCELLENT SERVICE. SCENERY: BLESSING TO THE EYE!. LUXURY SUITE: complete with jacuzzi and balcony facing the ocean.............. TO DIE FOR! IT IS DEFINITELY A MUST SEE FOR THOSE WHO JUST WANT TO GET AWAY DESTRESS AND RELAX! DOWNSIDE? not much activities apart from turtle sight seeing and the resort gymn.

• Liked — scenery
  • Disliked — activities non-existent
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TriniLioness
Port of Spain, Trinidad
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2007

I had been looking for an excuse to stay at this hotel since March 07. Having looked on the website and advertisements in local dining guide we looked on it as a real treat and left the kids at home! All meals were buffet which we were not told about at time off booking and there was little choice. We upgraded to a luxury suite which had mould growing on the lamp shades and the curtains, I would have not liked to have seen the standard rooms if this was luxury. There was a dismatled bed and old mattress propped up against the wall by our door. There overall standard of the room was poor. Unfortunately we did not get the opportunity to try out the Spa as it was fully booked during our stay. I would not return to this resort.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jooqs

Travellers are raving about these Salybia hotels

san juan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2007

it was a great experience .nice location ,nice pool , great restaurant with nice ambience, rooms were ok to good. i got some great photos . i went with some friends and my family we all had a blast . it is a nice get away for trinis to just relax dine and bath in the pool and have some drinks . however its expensive.( it was clean however staff quite unfriendly)

trini explorer.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — beach
  • Stayed September 2007
1 Thank computersanjuan
trinidad
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2007

My wife and I had stayed at the resort off and on over the years and while the food was all that we really thought needed some work we did not mind it too much. We enjoyed ourselves as we always looked forward to the little getaway. We invited some friends this time and boy were we in for a shock, the beds were like hammocks (both rooms) with linen that I wouldn't even allow Diego my dog to have a go at. The throw pillows were stained with who knows what. The food was poor to say the least, and the service was probably even worst. During our stay we could not get beach towels and only when I started to rant and rave like a mad man did we see the towels, this was over a period of 16hrs and five attempts to get them. The one person who even bothered to smile was the receptionist when she quite happily relieved me of $2100TTD. The owners are quite happy to charge International rates but that's where the similarities end. In a nut shell NO [--] will I be robbed blind like that again by my countryman.

Stayed April 2007
7 Thank trini6367
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2007

It was fantastic...We had a fantastic 2 story room with a Jacuzzi. The hotel was almost deserted, we were the only ones in the pool most of the time. Very relaxing (we even had free massages) and thought it was great! It is away from everything exciting about Trinidad...so it is perfect for a relaxing honeymoon...

• Liked — The room & pool
  • Disliked — location
  • Tips/Secrets — Far from all the action
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank to_the_airport
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2006

Myself and my partner went to Salybia Nature resort for one day in August and wont be returning. They offer a day rate for 200tt (approx. £20) but it is definately not worth it. The day pass was from 10am until 6pm but the poolside bar did not open until 11.30 (and therefore I was nearly sick as I was so hungry by then - we travelled from Port of Spain - 1 1/2 hrs - to get there for 10 in the hope to have breakfast and make the most of the day). The changing rooms were absolutely filthy, hair everywhere and didnt looked like they'd been cleaned for days. The sun loungers were scarce, ripped, torn and wet as they hadnt been stored away the night before and the gazebos were scruffy. The grass was uncut and there was litter, empty bottles and glasses everywhere, it was almost as if there had been a party or function the night before and the cleaning hadnt been done!

As for the spa, well yes, I had a nice massage and manicure but it did just feel like a glorified beauty salon rather than a luxurious spa. It was also expensive (£50) and there were problems booking an appointment. We were told before that we only needed to book on the day. When we arrived we were told we had to book in advance!?! The 'therapist' managed to 'squeeze me in' so I felt like she was doing me a favour.

The buffet lunch was average. Nothing to rave about although I did get to try soursop icecream which was nice - about the best experience of the day.

Whilst we did not stay overnight in the hotel, we asked to see a room 'for future reference' (out of curiosity) and they were very simple, reminded me of university halls or residence but with a pretty bedcover!

Its a shame, on arrival at the hotel it looks fabulous and the view over the coast is lovely but they just havnt quite got it right and need to do a lot to bring it up to a reasonable standard. I wont be going back until they do.

• Liked — The scenery
  • Disliked — The unsanitary pool area
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont go
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank hammyryder79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salybia
Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Club
#1 of 1 in Las Cuevas
Courtyard Port of Spain
Courtyard Port of Spain
#1 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Salybia Nature Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!