Salybia Nature Resort & Spa
Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel(Grande Riviere)
US$170
  • Breakfast included
US$330
US$300
  • Breakfast included
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort(Lowlands)(Great Value!)
US$321
US$248
Palm's Hotel Trinidad(Port of Spain)
US$95
US$120
US$109
Hotels.com
Acajou Hotel(Grande Riviere)
TripAdvisor
Inn Flight Suites(Piarco)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspristine conditionpool facilitiesfruit punchr rlive djlocal foodtocorelaxation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This is probably my sixth visit to this resort over as many years, and each time it gets progressively worse. However, it is one of the few resorts in Trinidad that offers an "all inclusive" feel, so I keep going back, hoping it will get better. Not so at all. In late April I booked three rooms for two nights for the long weekend at the end of May. When I called back a week before the booking to verify that all was OK, the front desk told me that yes, they have me down for one room and one night...and not even one of the rooms I booked. So I speak to the manager on duty, who informed me that the hotel was booked for an event on the days that I requested, and I could not have possibly gotten the days I requested. Of course, no one saw it fit to inform me of this, and I would not have known had I not called. So I was forced to shift my stay up a day, and fit three families into two rooms. I must admit, however, that the manager, Julia, made good on her word to fit extra beds into the rooms.
The rooms are dated and musty, the meals are hardly ever on time, you can get little or no assistance after hours, and the front desk sweetly tells you that they cant help you with your problems.A member of the kitchen staff even tells you that they have no straws.Really? No straws?
There is little or no upkeep of the facilities, you get the impression that the management is just running the hotel until it falls apart. And it shows by the facilities that the hotel offers. The event that the hotel was booked for on the day we left was a "cooler fete". Hotel staff said that the last time such an event was hosted there, bona fide hotel guests were actually asked to vacate the pool area by the event promoters. And this hotel offers pool passes to whoever wants to use the pool facilities, on any day. So while we were there, people came in on their day passes, crowded out the facilities, left the pool in a mess, and then went their merry way, leaving genuine hotel guests to contend with their filth. Imagine the next morning going to the pool with your five year old and seeing cups floating around, napkins in the water and food strewn around the lounge chairs. And I realised that the pool water was not even being filtered properly, just circulated up to the waterfall.
This was definitely my last stay. I had even asked for them to find out who was responsible for my booking fiasco; to this day, management cannot pinpoint who booked my rooms. They say there were two persons on duty that day and no one wants to own up, so there is nothing they can do.
For the money that is put out at this resort, you don't even get half the worth. And if you're booking with the hotel, take full details and make them send you written confirmation, because if something goes awry, you're on your own. I have never experienced this level of incompetence in the hotel industry. Hospitality is definitely not one of their strong points at Salybia...as a matter of fact, I cant say what is.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
22  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed with my family for 1 night all inclusive of breakfast and dinner, menu was nice, even better was we were offered free lunch the next day, which was nice also.
Kitchen opens only at meal time
Staff was helpful, furniture in lobby needs cleaning, The rooms are nice but have no phones,
check in was 2.00pm we had to wait 1/2 hour extra for room to be prepared, when it was, the floor was wet and there was a small stain in toilet.
View of ocean from room balcony excellent, when place not full its quiet and relaxing.
Pool is nice but need cleaning and repairs. I picked up a huge chunk of brick in the pool which fell off some time from around the pool.
Overall place is nice but needs to be taken care of, we stayed there a few years ago and it was much better than present.

Room Tip: Couples can enjoy room with jacuzzi, second floor better view of ocean, ensure AC is working
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank yourinfo
Reviewed 2 April 2013

This is definitely a first and last time stay! The standard of this hotel has clearly dropped significantly over the years. I decided to stay here in one of the standard rooms which was $825. You pretty much better off spending the extra $200 and staying at the Hyatt. The view is spectacular and so is the pool but the rooms are HORRIBLE for the price. It has one old bulb that had the room dark the entire time, the tiling was horrible and old. Even in the main lobby area they need to re do the tiling as it is cracked and chipping everywhere. There was A LOT of dust on the lamp in the room and the next morning I woke up to see a cockroach on my friend's towel, disgusting! They don't even have nice bedding, it's this cheap ripped out old quilt.

I think one of my major disappointments definitely has to be the fact that the hotel isn't for the solitude of its guests. When we arrived there thinking to relax in the pool, it was completely filled with children with huge water toys, which is alright for a beach but not for paying guests who came for a 'quiet getaway'. Apparently the hotel offers a pool and lunch pass which is for $300 (quite expensive if you ask me) and any random Tom, Dick and Harry can spend the day in the pool so it's cramped out.

You would NEVER find this at another inclusive hotel, which caters solely for the safety of their guests, maybe the hotel is trying to make extra $, who knows, at least they could spend the extra $ and upgrade the place.

The music at the pool is also reserved for a random guy who uses his i-pod and skips music after every 2 secs, very annoying and unprofessional!

This would be the last time I will be staying here, very disappointing. The staff was nice and the view but the price you're paying for a 'standard' room in NO way justifies the time spent making the long drive, do yourself a favor, check into a guest room instead, the rooms are guaranteed to be nicer!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Moses-786-1
Reviewed 18 February 2013

my family and i recently stayed and took the all inclusive packages and stayed in the Luxury suite!. We were very pleased with place. the ambiance is beautiful as well as the oceanic view most romantic. The meals were awesome. Only a few disappointments (1) Customer Service on initial arrival was very poor as we weren't warmly welcomed (2) the pool surroundings, which was a bit untidy with bottles etc, however it was explained that there was a Carnival Fete the night before which ran into the morning. so it was overlooked.(3) no telephone in the room (4) the beds were very squeaky. The place is absolutely beautiful if it is properly maintained in the rooms and proper training given to staff when serving Guests. But I will recommend it for any persons interested in a romantic getaway to enjoy the sound of the waves and wake up to the beautiful ocean. We were in aaww as the surroundings were well landscaped and it really created that beautiful ambiance and true nature feeling. We definitely will visit again. Also the Beautiful Stone Waterfall just outside the Restaurant needs to be working! It will add so much more to the place.

Room Tip: Stayed at the Luxury Suite which has the beautiful ocean view!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank RachaelHanslal
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We booked a two night stay and took the breakfast and dinner package. Upon arrival to check in was surprised payment had to be made upfront. This should have signalled an early warning signal. Check in was at two but we got there closer to three. We asked to see a menu but was told the kitchen was closed as they were preparing for dinner. There is a snack menu available and that was all that was available...the menu. Besides the normal meals there was nothing else to get even if as we were, willing to pay for it. The room is small and consists of a bed and bathroom with a small balcony. There is none of the usual frills of a normal hotel - no mini refridgerator, the kettle for boiling water was dirty and bathroom items were used. We had to do with two bath towels for the entire weekend. However, they did call one morning to offer room service but we were skeptical. Allow me to now comment on the food, which can best be described as palatable and not much more. On the second day dinner and breakfast buffet was not even available, they called it a la carte but it meant having less choice. Dinner on Sunday was earlier than usual. It was fortunate we were in our room to receive the call advising this. On to the swimming pool, which was not properly cleaned. Imagine having to rent towels and also leave a deposit, swim up bar was not available on Saturday and when it was on Sunday, there was either a pay first system or if using debit/credit card pay at the front desk plus we had to deal with a pool full of noisy children who were allowed in with a day pass. After another horrible breakfast on the following day we promptly left. The saving grace was my company, it was our anniversary and we had each other to enjoy.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple