“Don't tell a friend”

Salybia Nature Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Salybia
Reviewed 14 April 2007

My wife and I had stayed at the resort off and on over the years and while the food was all that we really thought needed some work we did not mind it too much. We enjoyed ourselves as we always looked forward to the little getaway. We invited some friends this time and boy were we in for a shock, the beds were like hammocks (both rooms) with linen that I wouldn't even allow Diego my dog to have a go at. The throw pillows were stained with who knows what. The food was poor to say the least, and the service was probably even worst. During our stay we could not get beach towels and only when I started to rant and rave like a mad man did we see the towels, this was over a period of 16hrs and five attempts to get them. The one person who even bothered to smile was the receptionist when she quite happily relieved me of $2100TTD. The owners are quite happy to charge International rates but that's where the similarities end. In a nut shell NO [--] will I be robbed blind like that again by my countryman.

Stayed: April 2007
7  Thank trini6367
There are newer reviews for Salybia Nature Resort & Spa

Reviewed 10 January 2007

It was fantastic...We had a fantastic 2 story room with a Jacuzzi. The hotel was almost deserted, we were the only ones in the pool most of the time. Very relaxing (we even had free massages) and thought it was great! It is away from everything exciting about Trinidad...so it is perfect for a relaxing honeymoon...

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank to_the_airport
Reviewed 24 November 2006

Myself and my partner went to Salybia Nature resort for one day in August and wont be returning. They offer a day rate for 200tt (approx. £20) but it is definately not worth it. The day pass was from 10am until 6pm but the poolside bar did not open until 11.30 (and therefore I was nearly sick as I was so hungry by then - we travelled from Port of Spain - 1 1/2 hrs - to get there for 10 in the hope to have breakfast and make the most of the day). The changing rooms were absolutely filthy, hair everywhere and didnt looked like they'd been cleaned for days. The sun loungers were scarce, ripped, torn and wet as they hadnt been stored away the night before and the gazebos were scruffy. The grass was uncut and there was litter, empty bottles and glasses everywhere, it was almost as if there had been a party or function the night before and the cleaning hadnt been done!

As for the spa, well yes, I had a nice massage and manicure but it did just feel like a glorified beauty salon rather than a luxurious spa. It was also expensive (£50) and there were problems booking an appointment. We were told before that we only needed to book on the day. When we arrived we were told we had to book in advance!?! The 'therapist' managed to 'squeeze me in' so I felt like she was doing me a favour.

The buffet lunch was average. Nothing to rave about although I did get to try soursop icecream which was nice - about the best experience of the day.

Whilst we did not stay overnight in the hotel, we asked to see a room 'for future reference' (out of curiosity) and they were very simple, reminded me of university halls or residence but with a pretty bedcover!

Its a shame, on arrival at the hotel it looks fabulous and the view over the coast is lovely but they just havnt quite got it right and need to do a lot to bring it up to a reasonable standard. I wont be going back until they do.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank hammyryder79
Birmingham England
Reviewed 24 November 2005

I have just come back from this place, it is in the middle of no where, it takes around one and half hours to get any where, you can not go in the sea because of the undertow, rooms are very basic, no entertainment, food basic if you like fish or chicken then fine, drinks included rum beer wine, anything else you pay for. A plus is the staff they are rely nice, it is a shame that they are in no way ready for tourists.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St Helens, England
Reviewed 8 August 2005

Beautiful looking building but service left a lot to be desired. Worth going to the area for the arduous but rewarding walk to the falls and the proximity to Matura (turtle) beach, but the hotel did nothing to actively promote these, despite being a 'nature' resort. Good job I'd done my reading beforehand!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
virginia
Reviewed 31 December 2004

Beautiful scenery of the ocean, location is stunning. First sight of the hotel is impressionable. Unfortunately when taking a closer look, the only thing this place has going for it is the scenery. I spent several days at the hotel last month which was a little treat to my companion & myself during our 2 weeks in Trinidad. Luckily this was not our first time to the island, so the experiance at the hotel did not ruin our vacation completely.
To put Salybia in nutshell, to rate it 1 star would be generous. Unprofessional, lacks warmth in personality staff- & place alike, we where expecting a spa, not a beauty palour, food nothing special, linen was less than white, no welcome drink, no water in the room. Unexceptable service & standards for the money we paid

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Trinidad
Reviewed 2 December 2004

I visited the Salibya Beach Resort for a weekend in July, wishing to escape the hustle and bustle of Port of Spain. The weekend left me more stressed than when I got there. The first room I was placed in smelt of an unflushed toilet and the fittings were old and rusted. The second room smelled marginally better (though musty), but had no working air condition and no remote control for the television. When I entered my third room I thought I was there to stay, but then I discovered used towels in the bathroom and a discarded condom packet on my sheet. I was deeply distressed by this and spent the night in a friend's room instead. The food selection for dinner was poor and the supposed spa service was understaffed and overpriced. The staff were indifferent and unhelpful. A weekend getaway it was not and I shall not be returning.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salybia
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre
Courtyard Port of Spain
Courtyard Port of Spain
#1 of 22 in Port of Spain

Been to Salybia Nature Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!