“A Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Tunapuna B&B and Inns
Kent, Ohio
“A Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My fiance and I stayed with Peter and Louise for a week at the end of July so I could do research at the local university. After discovering that there were not a lot of available sources, Peter did an excellent job finding ways for me to learn as much as I could about the history and the culture just by talking with people and exploring the island. The house, hosts, dogs, and food are all fantastic. Be sure to take advantage of the tours offered - especially the hummingbird sanctuary visit. Thanks for a relaxing, fruitful, and memorable week! Give us a ring when you drive through Ohio and we'll go to dinner!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dionna1999
Peter Q, Owner at The Amazon Lodge B&B, responded to this review, 13 September 2014
Hi guys,

It was great having you to stay and we enjoyed the challenge of trying to find sources of material for your PhD.

Don't forget we would love to have you to stay again ... maybe for a honeymoon?

Lots of love.. Peter & Louise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed at the Amazon Lodge while in Trinidad on business. It was a very relaxing and comfortable stay. The food is spectacular and the views beautiful! Peter and Louise are very friendly and go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. They even took the time to teach us how to cook Trinidad style! The rooms are very clean and comfortable. A very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Monica M
Peter Q, Owner at The Amazon Lodge B&B, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Hi Monica,

It was great fun having the three of you here at The Amazon Lodge. Loved your Scottish accents! Don't forget we make a great honeymoon destination for those of you that have yet to tie the knot.

Lots of love.. Peter & Louise
Olney, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I were quite pleased with our accommodation at Amazon Lodge. We were especially delighted to see that there was no false advertising concerning the guesthouse. We got everything we had expected, and more. Good customer service is important to us, and we received exceptional care from Peter and Louise.

Have no doubt about Louise’s cooking! I am a native of the island, and I have to admit that I cannot make Callaloo soup as delicious as she does. We have absolutely no complaints about Amazon Lodge – except that our time to leave had arrived too soon. Make your stay at Amazon Lodge when next you plan to visit Trinidad.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LourdesofOlney
Peter Q, Owner at The Amazon Lodge B&B, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
We love having people to stay who haven't been in Trinidad for many years as it gives us a chance to highlight the great progress this brilliant little island has made over the years.
Can't wait to see you both again.
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were in Tobago for 27 days and on our return trip home we stayed with Peter and Louise.

We are returning guest at Amazon Lodge. We stayed last year and this year from 27 June to July 1. We were originally scheduled to stay 1 night but Peter and was able to accommodate our last minute change request. Thank You Peter! Peter and Louise made us feel very welcome, we felt we were returning home to family. Having stayed here before, we knew exactly what to expect and we were not disappointed.

Located in the Northern Range we had a magnificent view of the surrounding area. Expect to be surrounded by the natural beauty of the island yet experience true local living. They are situated near the Curepe Junction where you can get transportation to any part of the island. During our stay we got a taxi to San Fernando. The Curepe Junction is a central hub, local rum shops (pub like), fast food restaurants from various ethnic groups, food vendors serving doubles, raw oysters, coconuts, shops, supermarket and banks can be easily accessed. My husband enjoyed having a carib (or two) at the rum shop. Head out and explore, the locals are very welcoming and will surely strike up a conversation with you. I thoroughly enjoyed the doubles and the oysters.

Louise prepared several meals for us which we enjoyed tremendously. Good menu choices. Louise is flexible and will cater to any special request. We had a delicious sweet and sour pork dish with all the fixings and on our last night an elaborate BBQ dinner. Thank You Louise. If you would rather eat/take out, you have that option as well.

Peter and Louise are true ambassadors of Trinidad. Their warmth and hospitality are genuine. Peter shared amazing stories and life experiences, his wealth of knowledge and ability to adapt to our need was exactly what we were looking for. Louise was always on hand to answer any questions, provide tips and certainly made us feel at home.

Accommodations are very accurate as listed on their website and other reviews.

Peter and Louise we had an amazing trip and already planning our trip next year. Kudos to both of you and thanks for sharing your home with us.

If you decide on staying at Amazon Lodge ask Peter about don`t make me laugh or I`ll fart.....

John and Liz
London, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LizAkit
Peter Q, Manager at The Amazon Lodge B&B, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Liz and John,

The only guests we have ever had who rocked up with 50lb of frozen fish as a souvenir of their stay in our lovely twin island state.

No problem ...we re-arranged the deep freeze and in it went for the duration of their stay. You can imagine how jealous we were when we even saw a lobster in there.

Keep coming back guys. We can always buy a bigger deep freeze.

Lots of love ..Peter & Louise
Grenada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I arrived very tired and rather fed up with the world. Mrs Peter- Louise immediately made me feel warmly welcome in a very charming and warm manner. She seemed to know, without pressing me at all, that I just wanted a quiet and cosy time. They were both, at all times, completely delightful and made me feel immediately part of the family. The sweetest and best behaved dogs, Shep and Jack also made me feel as if I was a long lost friend come home. I could not recommend this wonderful oasis more highly in every way. I shall come back and spread the word. Thank you both most sincerely. I felt so much better for this calm and oh so very therapeutic lodge. Long may it prosper.

Room Tip: The rooms on offer are all clean, en suite and very comfortable. 5 star all round. Each have a most...
3 Thank Annie F
Peter Q, Owner at The Amazon Lodge B&B, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
High praise indeed from one of the owners of the best boutique hotel in Grenada.

Louise and I (plus Jack and Shep.) could literally see the tension disappearing as you relaxed on the balcony to the sounds of the birds and the wonderful smells of the Rangoon Creeper during the day and the Ylang Ylang tree in the evenings.

Come again any time you want ... happy to take you on business runs during the day and then relaxing in the evenings. And don't forget our weekly "Dinner & A Movie" night..
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I'm going to be very brief because everything I was going to say about my stay at the Amazon Lodge has already been said by the other five star reviewers! This was one of the best experiences in my life and I hope to return again soon!

2 Thank misspuff
Peter Q, Owner at The Amazon Lodge B&B, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
We couldn't wait to meet you .. someone who knows all about "mystery shopping".... and we weren't disappointed.

Glad you enjoyed the tours. We though we were going to have to get a bouncer to get you out of the Hummingbird centre ... (lots of laughs)

See you again soon.
Frankfurt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Booking Carnival - my 3rd in Trinidad - I choose the Amazon Lodge, because of the terrase picture., Looks like peace far away from towm. Peter and Louise make me feel confortable at all.

Peter, except the breakfast .. every day the same. A sunny side up 3 eggs or scrabled with bacon. hmmmmm .... would have been great.

Both Pter and Loiuse have a great amount of knowledge on Trinidad and can offer advice, and excursions to beaches etc. but sorry Peter for a single traveller to much to pay for.

The familar place is not located right in a central area. 10 minutes by car down, 10 minutes up, and another 30 minutes to P.0.S. Peter was more than willing to pick me up and drop me off at Caruepe junction for the Maxi Taxi 6 TT$ to POS. Problem the food, when you come back from POS you could eat at KFC chicken - good., Burgers, Doubles (Veg) and bring some meal and drinks up. But if you are lazy relaxing at the veranda, Peter needs to go down and up ... 25 minutes, and I could buy only fast food.

Internet was free, Softdrinks and Coffee at all !!!
I recommend this guest house and the family as you I feel getting part of it.

If you like all the beaches and trips arround by Maxi taxi you need to calculate every day an extra 1 1/2 hour !!! But its calm up here and you have no chance to get lost in the nightlife. Not neccessary to say, rooms, and bath very clean. Peter dont be agressive when I say now:
I DONT LIKE DOGS at breakfast tables etc and the need a long time to learn the word: OUT :-)

Room Tip: Prices are extremly high at Carnival I know. The destination and calm aerea is great, but its not fo...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Porsche911SC
Peter Q, Owner at The Amazon Lodge B&B, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write a detailed review.

Apologies for not letting you know the breakfast choices. We will more info in each room.

Our location is designed to be near, 10 minutes, from a major hub, and yet tucked away in a quiet spot with lots of birds etc.

We sometimes forget that not everyone loves silly dogs so thank you for pointing that out. We will be more proactive on that issue.

And thanks again for sharing your ideas and thoughts with us. You have been a great help.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tunapuna
Hyatt Regency Trinidad
Kapok Hotel
Kapok Hotel
#5 of 21 in Port of Spain
Cara Suites - Pointe a Pierre

Been to The Amazon Lodge B&B? Share your experiences!