“RUN DONT WALK”

Ranked #1 of 2 Bacolet Bay B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“RUN DONT WALK”
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

To sum up our experience...our balcony door lock did not work(major safety concern), we found an enormous roach our first day and although the room was closed four enormous salamanders took over our room on our last night. They entered through a hole in the wall. The response of the security guard who saw us fleeing in horror at 1238am was "Well it's the tropics". I've stayed in the tropics MANY times and never had such an experience. To top it all off, I have an infected bite on my leg from an unknown insect, due to the fact that the mosquito net had a hole!! This place is awful. Seriously they need to invest in a groundskeeper or some mesh for the balconies!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mystique830

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Finnish first
Trinidad
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I've stayed at a lot of other places in Tobago and this is the first time I'm taking time to write a review (albeit late) as I counted on views from others before making my reservation.

This place is simply amazing, if you like quiet, small and great service. There was construction going on next door but it wasn't overbearing. I booked short notice and luckily got a room and service was great, helped get me transport to and from the hotel.

No major complaints from me, I had breakfast, lunch and dinner at Cafe Havana. All days were different but the breakfast/dinner could do with a bit more taste, it tasted good but I'm accustomed to fully seasoned food and I love my cooking so I'm being biased. The lunch on the other hand was fantastic.

The infinity pool is small but you can get so lost when you're in it and looking out at the view. Again amazing. What I really loved about this place was that it was small but had so many places available for you to just relax with a view.

I am definitely, definitely going back soon!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I've visited this lovely and classy boutique hotel, overall pretty pleased except for a few setbacks.
Always happy with the room but I can make a slight recommendation for the bathroom itself. While using the shower, I did not have any place to rest my soap so basically I had to hold it the entire time I showered. How come? There wasn't even any edge along the floor of the bathroom to leave my soap dish.
Apart from that, we found that breakfast at the Cafe Havana left much to be desired where vegetarian foods were concerned.
The first morning we ate, we were offered baked beans which we appreciated but the following morning all we got was seasoned potatoes, cheese, toast, pancakes and a muffin. Not too exciting at all. For the calibre of the hotel and it's restaurant I would have expected much better. Please try and cater for your vegetarian guests. They don't ask for much. Some simple sauteed vegetables would have been nice.
All in all, a particularly good stay at the Bacolet Beach Club. Recommended once they look into these few issues.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My husband and I decided last November to spend our 30th wedding anniversary at the Bacelot Beach Club. I had seen so many ads and did my research on this hotel -checking the website, visiting tripadvisor etc. The vibe was positive so we booked our 4 night stay in November and received confirmation in that month.
We were scheduled to fly to Tobago on the 28th February. On the day before my husband called to confirm our reservation with the hotel, only to be told that we "bumped out" or in their polite jargon downgraded to the Half Moon Blue hotel. To add insult to injury we were offered free car rental for belive it or not.. a whole day!!
We were shocked and angry. Are we second class citizens to be treated with such scant courtesy? We had never even heard of this place. After website and tripadvisor investigation we were not impressed. Needless to say we cancelled the trip and of course could get no other accomodation at such short notice. We are truly disappointed with this very unprofessional behaviour and will never again attempt to stay at this resort.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Bonnie-Lou D
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This is a lovely little hotel with a big heart. Our room was really comfortable although we would have slept well anywhere after our 24hrs travelling! We had booked our annual 2 week vacation and were definitely in need of some R&R. This is exactly what we got. We breakfasted every morning in the Cafe Havana. It was lovely and the choices changed daily so despite taking breakfast for 14 days you would not have had the same breakfast 2 days in a row. I am not sure where we would have had breakfast locally in any case. It is a 20 minute walk into Scarborough.

We had fabulous views of the pool and the ocean from our verandah. There were pleanty of loungers on both the terraces around the pool and on the beach. We enjoyed a leisurely lunch in the Rok bar several times and dined in the Cafe Havana most evenings. I especially enjoyed the large variety of Cocktails on the extensive list.

The staff could not do enough to help with any requests. It was also a master stroke that the hotel has a number of jeeps for hire to guests ($65 US per day) if they have one available you can take it immediately. The Island is defintely worth exploring. We also travelled around by bus (you have to buy the tickets in advance as the buses don't take payment on board) ($TT 2-8).

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a peaceful retreat

Room Tip: We had room 10 which was on the ground floor next to the pool and was ideal for us
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HB1964
Toronto, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,107 helpful votes
Reviewed 3 February 2014

THIS HOTEL LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE PHOTOS

ROOM WAS GOOD
- they scatter rose pedals around the room for your 1st day (nice ambiance)
- bed was comfortable
- a couple of items were a little worn and in need of repair
- I like my room to be totally dark but the curtain let light in the morning

THE VIEW 10 +++
- you can see spectacular sunsets right from the pool or beach and the room
- trees and plants are all around the hotel giving a feeling of being in a tropical jungle

PRICE WAS EXCELLENT
- we searched the Web and got a good price
- it included a day of FREE car rental! The cars are right at the hotel, very convenient

* Get the Car Rental its really worth it!
Remember: North Americans, its left hand drive and takes a few minutes to get used to

INFINITI POOL
- the pool was gorgeous and it overlooks the ocean. One of the nicest I have ever seen
- more than enough lounge chairs around to relax and enjoy it

BEACH
It was very private but a lot of stairs to walk down to get from the hotel to beach
* It will be very difficult if you have knee or walking problems

BUFFET BREAKFAST (Havana Restaurant)
- this is a 1 minute walk to the adjacent property for breakfast

Buffet has:
- 4 or 5 hot items
- a few variety of cereals
- toast on request
- good coffee
* simple but sufficient

We will return. Great Value

Room Tip: TWO ITEMS 1. CONSTRUCTION beside Hotel that start early every day - go opposite the Havana Restau...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank KevinTorontoCanada29
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed three nights at Bacolet Beach Club at the end of December, the start of the high season for Tobago. Since we came over on the ferry from Trinidad with our own vehicle, we weren't concerned with proximity to airport or ferry terminal. We chose the property based on its location a little away from the busier "tourist" areas.
We wanted to stay at a smaller property that would be private and quiet but still offer amenities of a large hotel, and that is what we found at Bacolet Beach Club. This small boutique hotel is nicely situated on the outskirts of Scarborough. Perched on the side of a small cliff overlooking Bacolet Bay makes for beautiful views of the Atlantic by day and stunning sunsets by evening. The view is a definite selling point.
While the beach has a public access trail there were few visitors from outside the hotel. The main reason for that would probably be the steep stairs going to and from the small beach, and the fact that it is not the best for swimming at this time of year. (Make sure not to forget what you need for the beach, a quick run back up will leave you winded for sure!) The Atlantic side of Tobago is much cooler and rougher than the emerald waters on the Caribbean side (such as Store Bay and Pigeon Point).
That being said, the sound of the larger waves rolling in and crashing on the rocks below was so relaxing to fall asleep to! The sounds of various birds chattering in the morning was also a lovely way to wake. The gentle sunrise was also nice.
We stayed in room 12, a Bay Deluxe room, which looks out directly over the pool towards the sea. It was a little tight in the main room due to the lovely colonial style, four post kingsize bed (which had been perfectly made up and thoughtfully decorated with flower petals), but the ground floor veranda was a good space. The bed was on the firm side, but I like that so it was not a problem for me, but may take some getting used to for others. The bathroom was very good with a spacious shower and nice space around the sink. Water pressure was excellent. There was a nice breeze coming through when you opened the entry door and the sliding door to the veranda. The a/c worked well in the late afternoon to cool things down a little bit quicker.
The breakfast buffet served at the adjoining Cafe Havana had a nice selection of items, from cold cereal and yogurt to hot bacon and eggs, selectively changed every other day to give variety, which I appreciated. The open air design was very refreshing in the morning as well.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful, which I think is to the credit of the owners, who we met and chatted with when they visited the property. We were only there 3 nights but we met them twice. A lovely couple, unassuming and friendly. The first time they engaged my husband in conversation when he was doing some fishing near the shore, and later at a beach BBQ they arranged for guests.
We already plan to return in March with friends. I'm sure it will be our place of choice whenever we travel to Tobago.
Only downside was that wifi access not available in all areas of property. Had to go to reception area to get strongest signal.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Crown Point
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Bacolet Beach Club? Share your experiences!