My husband, daughter and I just returned from a holiday of five days in Trinidad and three days in Tobago. Several years ago we lived in Trinidad where my husband was on an assignment with a Canadian engineering company. We revisited T&T as a "trip down memory lane." Le Bacolet Beach Club (LBBC) was a pleasant contrast to the urban, traffic-laden atmosphere of Port of Spain. LBBC was a quiet haven with a lovely inspiration pool and a small sandy beach with leafy trees providing shade. Interesting rocky areas with lots of small crabs marked the sides of the little bay. The beach was accessed by walking almost 70 steep steps on the Treadmill Stairway and would be a hazard to elderly or even mildly disabled guests. I would not recommend this hotel for older people or children due to the steps and lack of a life guard at the pool and beach.
The Havana Bar and Restaurant offered a small menu of good food and attentive service. There was only one other restaurant at the Blue Haven Hotel down the road, which looked drab and uninspiring. If we had stayed longer, we would have hired a taxi and tried other restaurants in Scarborough. The buffet breakfast was fine but the same each day with hot and cold standard items. The coffee was excellent.
In regard to our rooms they were clean with nice balconies and we enjoyed the wireless internet. However, our room #16 had several problems: three yellow-black water damage stains on the ceiling near the balcony doors; bathroom sink faucet that was detached from the vanity; non-functioning electrical outlet for hair drying and shaving in the bathroom. Neither rooms 16 or 15, our daughter's room, had hot water consistently in the showers. Room 15 had hot water only on the last day of our stay. The front-desk clerk was pleasant but seemed not to know how to handle our concerns. When we asked about moving to other rooms initially, the manager informed us that the hotel was fully booked. Regarding the stains on the ceiling being spot-painted, the manager hesitated until I said that if she provided a can of paint and brush we would do the task ourselves. The manager sent someone to paint the spots. The staff at BBC responded as best they could. We really appreciated Arnold's helpfulness, in particular. Unfortunately, he could not fix the electrical outlet problem which seemed to have existed for some time. We had the sense that if no one complained, nothing would be done in order to keep the rooms fully occupied. Perhaps there will be time in the rainy season to fully repair problems in the twenty guest rooms.
The LBBC was built in 2007 but seems to need constant repair and risks becoming shabby. The hotel owner's vision may have been a five-star boutique hotel but this would have required top-quality materials to begin with (not plastic doors for the bathroom, missing soap holders in shower stalls, inadequate electrical wiring, half-inch spaces under the front doors of rooms, flimsy curtains). Overall we enjoyed our visit to Tobago but would look for another hotel, should we return one day for a visit. The island and hotel location, tropical weather, friendly people and staff at BBC made it an enjoyable destination.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bacolet Beach Club is an exclusive boutique Hotel, Restaurant and Bar where its owners have created a stylist retreat. This delightful hotel shares a commitment to luxury and personal service, while its intimate size encourages a particularly warm and friendly atmosphere. A deliberately restful and luxurious property enjoying an idyllic crescent-bay setting on an island blessed with exceptional natural beauty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Bacolet Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bacolet Beach Club Hotel Bacolet Bay
- Bacolet Beach Club Tobago/Bacolet Bay