“Very unspecial occasion”
Review of Blue Haven Hotel

Blue Haven Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bacolet Bay
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Really poor customer service. Food is very low quality, and high priced. Certainly not a five star experience. I planned an engagement dinner for my son. Made reservation days in advance, on arrival, things were a mess. From the welcome at security to the actual dinner, all was a disaster, a very costly disaster at that. The service was slow and done by limited untrained staff. The food lacked value for money. I had the sweet potatoes as a side, only to be served sliced sweet potatoes with black spots. Clearly not being prepared by a qualified chef. Even after professionally voicing my concerns, there was no real redress. Definitely will not recommend this facility to no one.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary I

Reviewed 28 February 2013

This hotel could be fantastic BUT really needs a make over. The rooms are good BUt as previous reviews have said no hot water early or late in the day because of poor solar panels.not good. The whole hotel needs a good make over and new balcony screens .The decking in some parts was rotten and my foot went through a rotten piece, could have been very dangerous. The whole place needs a safety check just to keep the maintenance up to scratch. Owner is a little too laid back.location is fab, but it must not rest on this on fact alone otherwise it will go down hill.

Room Tip: Second floor for good view
1  Thank smugglenortheast
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I was recommended to stay here by my cousin who has a family connection. I am sure this place was wonderful once but it is resting on those Laurels. We paid about $300 per night for 2 include breakfast but if it had been $100 per night il would have still felt ripped off.
Within 24 hours I was apologizing to my friend for my choice.
The beach is nice but there are no lounge chairs ouot when you get down there. The shower on the beach is broken.
The pool has seen better days. There is bird excrement all over the pool patio - so you don't want to walk barefoot.
Of the 2 poolside female toilets one is out of order and mthe shower has no curtain and the shelf above the sink is filthy.
The room had one set of toileteries for 2 of us. The cleaners removed our hand towels angd did not replace them when we had been there less than 24 hours. When we aked for replacements we were told that the dryer was broken. This also delayed the return of my laundry.
The air conditioning in the room was ser at Arctic but without it you were too hot.
The chef mixed the raw veg with the eggs for my omelette and fried it all together to make the greasiest omelette I have ever had with raw onion and peppers.
The management had a cocktail evening which we were not invited to and when we saw the invite it said " to our valued guests".
There is no resident spa employee. They borrow from other hotels I suggested I walk to the next door hotel but they insisted I stay on site so I paid $100 for a massage in a room with a split and moldy massage bed, no air conditioning and the ceiling falling down.
I was there for 2 days.
I will not be going back. The history of the hotel is lovely - Swiss .family Robinson was filmed there and many celebruties stayed there in the 50 s but all that charm has gone.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BermudaHay
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We returned from Blue Haven on Feb 21st and before I begin there are some reviews here that do not relate to the Blue Haven. It has been confused with a hotel with a very similar name and I know this because there is reference to an infinity pool which does not exist at the Blue Haven.
We travelled with Kuoni and were upgraded to a junior suite upon arrival which was very welcome. It gave us a significantly larger room a more spacious bathroom a lower level containing sofa and a large flat screen tv. The air con worked well and was slightly intrusive to sleep, reading and watching tv but appreciated. The room was serviced very well, my only gripe was that sometimes the water was only tepid but this was due to the solar heating I was told.
We were on a all inclusive basis which meant we experienced all meals. The worst of which was the lunch which was taken at the "No Problem" beach bar/restaurant a more unsuited name I can't imagine. The waiting staff tried their best but a salad dish was an awful lot of lettuce/cabbage and very little else. Some dishes were regularly unavailable without a long walk back to the hotel to obtain the ingredients. However breakfast was a very pleasant experience overseen by Albert who was attentive to all needs, everything from traditional English, continental and local dishes. Dinner also produced an imaginative menu with choice, excellent soups and amuse bouche to start. Waiting staff were friendly, obliging and attentive.
The beach was very attractive with complimentary cushioned beds for residents, the sea being the Atlantic was often quite lively. If the sea is not your choice the pool area was pleasant and in our experience there always available comfortable loungers, the pool itself went from 1 foot to 5 foot in depth and always appeared to be very clean.
The reception staff were excellent, Avril stood out as did Ed, always happy to help.
It's a hotel with a history and charm a good base from which to explore, it's a more personal experience than staying in the 200 plus bedroom resorts.
It's far from perfect and it thinks itself a 4 star plus resort but there's a bit of work to do to meet that rating. Some areas are in a poor condition a case in point the advertised gym, spa and closed restroom on the beach.
The owner/manager Karl Pilstl is very available to talk to and very upbeat about the future. It was very quiet when we stayed despite being carnival, numbers boosted by Saga groups in 4 day stopovers.
We very much enjoyed our stay in no small part due to the staff.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can and upper floors prefered for the view.
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Stayed as part of the SAGA Islands of the Caribbean tour. Hotel won 2012 Tobago Boutique Hotel Award . By boutique I mean needs a coat of paint in places, needs to have additional ways of heating water as solar heating means no hot water in mornings and late afternoons. Owner aware of water problem but just smiles when mentioned!
Food of a good standard. "No problem " restaurant on the beach is unique. Service ok but let down by silly things like no wine bottle opener so will you have beer!
Glass panels between bathroom and bedroom means that you have to be well acquainted with your partner. But there is a blind that can be pulled down to create privacy whilst using the bathroom.
Three star not four star as claimed by SAGA

2  Thank winbags2
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Blue Haven is one of these little gems - a place you feel you walk into another time and get to see what your parents saw traveling in the fifties. Located overlooking beautiful Bacolet Bay that was the scene of some Hollywood movie productions back then, the hotel boasts pictures of stars such as Rita Hayworth staying at the hotel. So much for being star-strucked.

Bacolet is about 15 minutes walk from Scarborough and the hustle & bustle of the "city". You will also find plenty of activities to do at and around the hotel. The hotel itself lies on a cliff overlooking the sea but the hotel runs a beach restaurant in Bacolet Bay with stairs leading there directly. There is a fantastic pool overlooking the Atlantic at the hotel itself.

I love these places. They are genuine and hold history and charm. Definitely a strong recommendation.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size. We got an upgraded to a junior suite and it´s substantially larger than the regu...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Thomas O
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Comfortable, friendly, attractive hotel, with relaxed atmosphere. When we stayed in the first week of January, the staff did everything to make our visit pleasant and were full of good advice about trips, restaurants etc. Iguana hanging in tree above our balcony every morning, fabulous birds and plants in the grounds -- no need to visit the botanical gardens. Walkable from buzzing city of Scarborough but completely tranquil. Stunning beach 30 seconds from the hotel down its own path. Lovely views from the room over the ocean past palm trees. Hired a car to visit the rest of the island, the waterfalls, beaches and rainforest which was all fascinating. But Bacolet beach could not be bettered.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago

Been to Blue Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!