Manta Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Blue Haven Hotel(Bacolet Bay)
US$144
US$218
US$120
US$109
Travelocity
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort(Lowlands)(Great Value!)
US$329
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
Acajou Hotel(Grande Riviere)
US$155
Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel(Grande Riviere)
US$170
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I stayed at Manta Lodge for a long weekend and went diving on all three days I was there. The rooms are fairly simple but well air conditioned, that was most that mattered to me since I did not spend much time there apart from sleeping. I slept very well! The Lodge is located on a beautiful bay and all rooms have a view. You can literally see Goat Island and Little Tobago from your bed!
Travelling by myself, I found the Manta Lodge clan highly hospitable and warmly welcoming. I felt at home instantly!
The diving was nothing less than spectacular, great dive sites, knowledgeable captains to get there and back safe, dive masters that know their stuff and all of that in a comfortably easy-going yet service and safety minded atmosphere. I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2011

The Manta Lodge is the perfect place for a diving vacation. Restaurant and pool are directly across the street from the beach. Great views and beach access. The diving? Incredible. The dive team at Manta Lodge is superb! The dive spots are full of life and beautiful corals. More fish than I've ever seen - amazing colors. Super friendly and accommodating staff in restaurant, hotel and dive center. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Plan for lots of dives and a few days to visit the rest of the island including the rain forest and waterfalls.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Thanks to a great diving staff. They were patient when teaching us to dive and provided great instruction and guided dives. The variety of dives available here is just stunning....we got to dive several locations on reefs, but also rockier adventure dives at Giles, London Bridge and Sisters that were totally different. All were beautiful, but the best overall memory will be the night dive at Spiny Point with my younger son, Lucas...where he came to the surface, he said...'That was an amazing dive!"

Thanks to everyone --from dive instructors to hotel staff --from all of us for the fun, cameraderie, and memories.

Room Tip: Ask for pool and ocean view if you have kids.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2011

If your looking for the Hilton, this aint it. It is a nice family run lodge thats great for divers. The other reviews about cleanliness are accurate, but if you have traveled in the Caribbean, you should expect things like dirt in the corners, bugs and bats. The hotel is in the same area as a bird sanctuary, so be prepared to hear the birds at all hours. The hotel is right on the street so expect some traffic noise, but it is not unbearable. The seating area in the lodge is limited, the only real place to sit if you have a group is around the pool or in the dining area. If its raining, your limited to the dining area. They have WiFi available if you need it. There are no TVs in the rooms, but there is a small TV in the Bar area that is conected to a Direct TV dish, so you can keep up on current events.
The rooms are adequate, beds varied between really hard and really soft. Rooms have A/C and the usual hotel furniture. Our first room had an A/C and water leak problem, but the staff had no problem getting us changed to a new room. Bathroom was average for a hotel room. Cleanliness was an issue though.
The food was really good. the cook staff did a great job for us. The coffee was an issue, coffee was usually made once and reheated until it was empty ( it was obvious when it was so concentrated and burnt the owner had the staff change it)
The dive operation was above average. The dive masters / instructors were attentive, and went out of their way to take us where we wanted to go. I have dove with many dive operations, and feel that they were among the best, safe and professional. Boats were adequate and their captains safe and helpful. We dove with Sean, Tigger and Marvin and had a good time. The diving here is advanced due to the unpredictable current so be prepared.
Not much of a beach, the hotel is located across the street from a sand / pebble beach, because of the current use caution swimming. There is a small stream / pond opposite the hotel that was a breeding ground for KILLER Mosquitos, bring the deet!
Speyside is a small fishing town, not much in the way of nightlife or bars, but most people come here to dive. There are a bunch of great local places to eat. Highly recommend trying them all, I highly recommend Jemmas and Bird Watchers.
If you want to see the rest of the Island, you will need to rent a car. We used a rental company from Speyside ( Top Ranking Auto Rental) and got screwed, the van had no breaks and when they finally went out we waited 2 hours for them to be fixed at a local shop on the other side of the island, then the transmission died on the trip back to the Hotel. Company offered no compensation and actually blew me off when I asked to speak to the owner. I wouldnt use them unless you have no option. I recommend test driving the car before you accept it. This was not the Hotels fault though.
Overall this is a nice Hotel / Lodge that has a good dive shop, good food and a decent friendly staff. Could be a real gem with just a little atention to detaIL by the staff.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NYdivers
Reviewed 19 March 2011

I spent a full week at Manta Lodge, and went diving with their dive shop every day I was there.

Note that anyone looking for a luxurious resort, or an active nightlife or obsequious staff won't find it here. Manta Lodge is a small, informal, family-run hotel. Speyside is quiet and relaxing. Trinis/Tobagians don't need to be ingratiating to tourists, as most of TT's revenue comes from Liquefied Natural Gas and Oil, not tourism.

However, if you are looking for genuinely friendly people, rest and relaxation and an undeveloped natural environment, Speyside and Manta Lodge are wonderful.

Rooms have AC; they don't have mini-bars or TVs. There is a TV, with Dish Satellite in the dining area. There is also wireless internet (us$5 per day) in the dining area which worked well.

I didn't rent a car for my trip. The staff handled airport transport for me, and there are some good restaurants available within walking distance. Other guests might want to rent a car to visit other local towns, or other natural sites.

In regards to the beach: Manta Lodge is across the road from a stony beach. The water there is clean and pleasant, and one could swim there with water shoes. One can walk or take a short drive to other, sandy beaches.

My room was spacious and clean, with a view and with sounds of the ocean. There were no electrical or plumbing problems during my visit, and the staff were attentive to my needs. The meals were local fare, filling and tasty. I am not a huge drinker, and found the selection of local beers to be adequate.

In regards to the diving: I am a new diver, and conveyed this to the dive shop staff. They were attentive and careful, and provided lots of guidance. The boat was adequate for us, and drinks/snacks were provided. The equipment I rented worked well. The area does have some currents, so that took a bit of getting used to. Dive sites are close to the dock and so a short boat ride away. The dives were spectacularly beautiful.

Not only am I recommending this to others, but I myself am trying to figure out how and when I can go back.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo