“Great diving , Great People”
Review of Manta Lodge

and 1 more site!
Manta Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Speyside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Looking to get a dive trip to the Caribbean in before the end of the year I called my travel agent and told her I want to go to Tobago. I had been there about fifteen years ago and enjoyed the island, the diving and the people so much I promised myself I would go back some day. This trip was even better because my travel agent (who is the best) sent me to Manta Lodge to dive with Sean and his great dive staff. Sean has a great reputation, with the best diving on the island in his front yard (if not the whole Caribbean). While I was there I saw people coming from the other end of the island just to dive with him (and in some cases other dive lodges). The hospitality at the lodge was great. It’s a family run place and they make you feel like one of the family. The rooms are very simple, clean and comfortable – who needs more when you’re there for the great diving. My room had the best view I have ever had while staying in the Caribbean, and I can only imagine all the rooms had views equally good. On my last day the lodge arranged for me a trip into the rain forest and around the island near Speyside with Kenneth, a very experienced guide. He was very good about showing me things in the forest. He catered the tour to what I was interested in and set a pace suited me. As we traveled through the towns and attractions he seem to know every one, and I was introduced to every one. A day trip like this is a great way to see the island and meet some of the friendly people who live on Tobago. I highly recommend Kenneth as a guide. The bottom line is Manta Lodge (and staff) + Sean = Great dive trip!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Timothy F

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I loved my experience at Manta Lodge! The entire staff was so friendly and welcoming. The most fun staff, great food, and a low key environment. The rooms were very clean and comfortable with an island charm. I would recommend this place to anyone and plan on going back soon!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We dived with Manta Lodge and during the course of our holiday we spent quite a lot of time around the hotel even though we weren't booked for accommodation.
We really liked how friendly and laid back all the staff were which fits in well with the attitude of the local people.
The food was also great, with fresh products (fruit, veg, fish etc).
Even though we didn't stay at the hotel we did get a chance to see the rooms; which were clean, comfortable and air conditioned!!
We really had an awesome time there, as the hospitality of both Sean and Kathleen made our experience special. Definitely recommend this hotel for both diving and accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I had an amazing experience both diving and staying at Manta Lodge; all instructors and employees are very welcoming and friendly and had a family environment!

I stayed at Manta Lodge for two nights, and scuba dived with Sean and Swiss Robinson 6 times over 3 days. Besides diving I particularly love the meals and recommend it to anyone, I cannot wait to return and bring my parents! Everything served at Manta Lodge is fresh therefore daily the menu changes but we were never disappointed. Breakfast time we had vegetable omelettes, toast, fresh fruit and avocado, my boyfriend really likes grilled cheese and the kitchen had no issues with his request. We had to catch the early ferry at 6:30am, Kathleen was so sweet and baked us mango-banana bread for us to take in the morning; we all greatly enjoyed and appreciated it! We stayed in room #1, every room has an ocean view and large balcony and was extremely peaceful to fall asleep listening to the ocean. The air conditioning worked well, hot water was great, the rooms were simple and beautiful, we had a gorgeous high ceiling. Other meals we had consisted of shrimp tempura, pasta with a beautiful salad, curry lamb, curry fish, fried fish, eggplant tempura, potatoes, every dish was delicious and always has fresh fruit or salad, and one dinner was the best lobster I have ever had! And there was always the option to have fish too. We also enjoyed meeting other guests at the hotel. There is a nice size pool that we enjoyed using.

Scuba diving was absolutely amazing! My boyfriend, his brother and I completed our Open Water Certificate with Sean. Sean is an amazing instructor, extremely knowledgeable, experienced and made us all feel comfortable underwater. Sean is very professional, great at training and pointed out many species underwater while diving. The dive sites were amazing, including Japanese Gardens, Angel Reef, The Bowl, Spiny Colony, Chinese Gardens and Coral Gardens! There are over 40 dive sites in Speyside, can't wait to go back to see more!

Room Tip: Room #1 has a beautiful high ceiling, all rooms have a large balcony and ocean view! Air conditioner...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hollie M
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Just back from Manta Lodge and can't wait to return. Superb Beginners Dive Experience for my husband...Sean & Swiss Robinson have a quietly professional manner and give beginners the confidence and the tools to move on to the next level. I was doing a refresher - after a bad experience with an instructor in Europe -- Swiss in particular restored my enthusiasm and confidence. The dive sites are superb - wonderful clear water, huge diversity of marine life and gorgeous quiet islands for a Robinson Crusoe moment! Had some amazing fish dinners and wonderful succulent lobster. Rooms very clean but basic. Kathleen was the perfect 'hostess'.......See you all soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My stay at Manta Lodge was just perfect! From the moment I arrived I was made to feel at home; the hospitality of Sean and Kathleen is first class and all the staff are very friendly! The rooms are lovely; well maintained and very comfortable. Each room overlooks the ocean and has a private balcony and the tranquility of Speyside just makes it all that more relaxing. The food the lodge serves is delicious and the portions huge- nothing more welcoming after some magnificent diving! With regards to the diving services at the lodge, I could not have been happier, everything is done to the book and the equipment is in excellent condition. I did a refresher and learned extra little things I never knew before that really helped improve my diving. Sean and his son Swiss were a wealth of information and excellent guides to the underwater world of Speyside which is second to none. I felt safe and at ease every second underwater. I frequent Tobago quite often and can say without a doubt that this was my favourite little getaway to date and a place I cannot wait to return to! A very big thanks to everyone at Manta who made it such a special visit!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I have been wanting to dive for a very long time now and recently, I have achieved my goal. Tobago dive experience is very professional, experienced and very patient with every new diver. I felt so comfortable in the water with Sean. Sean Robinson pays special attention to safety and makes everyone relaxed in the water. It was amazing. The Manta Lodge is so relaxing and everyone there made my experience worthwhile, the hospitality level was second to none. This was a great adventure and I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Xavier S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Speyside
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Half Moon Blue Hotel
Half Moon Blue Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bacolet Bay

Been to Manta Lodge? Share your experiences!