“Brilliant Vacation on Tobago in Manta Lodge”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Manta Lodge

and 1 more site!
Manta Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Speyside B&B and Inns
Krimpen
“Brilliant Vacation on Tobago in Manta Lodge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

I went to Tobago with a friend of mine to go diving. My friend had stayed there before and told me that Manta Lodge was a fine hotel / diving center. Well, he told the truth! It was an amazing location and we had a great view out at sea. The food was good, the rooms where very large and very clean. Not to mention the employe's where real friendly and we even spend some time with them at local bars.

The diving school was good as well, very organized. Funny but also experienced divemasters gave us a beautifull tour around some very nice coral locations. Lots of big fish, turtle's, sharks and so on. Just to be quick about it, Tobago is a nice dive site.

I enjoyed my vacation there, and I can definitly recommend this place to everyone who goes to Tobago.

Pim den Boon

Holland

• Liked — The local people and the diving
  • Disliked — What's not to like ?
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank PimKrimpen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

This is really the most beautiful place I've ever been! The diving is just great and the instructors are very professional. I didn't have much diving experience before I got there but the divemasters really helped me learing to dive. I therefor must say that the diving school is just awesome and the area is beautiful. It really is a nice place with nice white beaches and a light blue sea!

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank wowisgay
Düsseldorf
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2008

I come to Manta Lodge since 2003. It is a great place for divers!
But also if you don’t dive, you can enjoy the surroundings of the hotel like: a warm tempered pool with a cocktail ("Manta Special") waiting for you to relax at the pool bar. Or just have a swim in the sea right in front of you!
Besides of diving you also can take a guided tour to the oldest rainforest of the Caribbean.
Anyway after an active or relaxed day you will fall asleep in your cosy room with the breeze from the sea and the wonderful sound of the waves close to you!
The staffs are very friendly and you feel good from the first day of your stay!
These are the reasons why I come back every year to this secluded lovely place.

• Liked — Rooms, Service.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank socamusic
trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

I've visited Tobago many times, mainly on Scarboarough end. I started visiting the windward side a few years ago and continue to run back there each time.

Although a small island with challenges to supply it's guests with conveniences of home, Manta lodge make you forget about home. From the morning breakfast to the mid-morning dives, the afternoon fishing trip (which always brings up fish - ask for Sean) as well as the the peaceful night time dinner and drinks at the the moray eel bar. What else can you ask for? Why else have you ran away from home? You'll find out.

The dives are spectacular, the staff friendly and the mangement VERY involved in what's going on.

Try it........

• Liked — the view of the beach
  • Disliked — the short stay
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank terrance71
Sul1
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

If you're thinking of staying at Manta, you really must be aware of just how basic the place is. - The brochure and website describes 'superior' rooms. It also talks of the lodge being 'embellished with old world Caribbean elegance'. This is gross misrepresentation. The rooms are very basic, but what's most important is that they are dirty. When we stayed we felt the bathrooms particularly were a health hazard and not fit for purpose. The shower was all furred up and we barely got any water from it.

When we booked, for the price we paid, we didnt expect luxury, we saw the photos of the rooms on the Manta website and they looked decent enough. But none of us had a room that remotely resembled these rooms.The photos shown on an earlier review really are, unfortunately, a true representation of what you get - and its not good enough, even by basic standards.

The owner appears to run the place for his own pleasure; - guests are the necessary evil that just keeps the place going. The place clearly isnt maintained properly, daily cleans are inadequate and if a place is cleaned and renovated at the end of each season then there's no reason for it to be as dirty and in need of repair as this place is. It's falling apart and it's very sad for the 1-2 staff who try their best.

A couple of the reviews on this site are so gushing and full of praise for the place that one would kind of question who sent them in!! The owners seemed to have various family and friends staying when we were there who visit regularly, - paying guests are not a priority, that's very clear.

All I can say is - look at the posted photos in earlier reviews, particularly the ones of the shower. If this standard is acceptable to you, then fine.

Our holiday here was our only major break this year, we saved hard for it and we looked forward to the diving and relaxation. We also looked forward to reasonable accommodation, but this was frankly worse than anything we have experienced anywhere.

• Liked — 1-2 staff who tried their best, but are clearly not valued by the owners.
  • Disliked — Filthy rooms and bathrooms not fit for purpose. Bad management and uncaring ownership
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sul1
West Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2008

Having read the latest review, I too felt compelled to write. I was one of the large group which stayed at Manta Lodge in May/June this year. Quite frankly, it was the worst diving holiday I have ever had.

Being an experienced and well travelled diver, I am used to staying in basic dive lodge accommodation. However, Manta Lodge was not just tired and basic, it was filthy - especially the bathrooms. For example, the areas around the shower door and toilet were black and mouldy

The Lodge was badly run and the owner, Sean, seemed totally disinterested. The staff (other than the wonderful Marva), were lazy, abrupt and again, disinterested. I often felt as if I was being a nuisance when I asked for something. Marva, on the other hand, was professional, organised and great "front of house". However, she cannot run the place to an acceptable standard on her own.

One of the main problems was the water supply at the Lodge. I appreciate, of course, that there is a water shortage on Tobago. However, the other hoteliers I spoke to confirmed that they had a back up water supply. There was no water supply at Manta Lodge on two occasions during our stay. On the second occasion, there was no water for two days. This is not great when you have spent one day diving and the second day trecking through the rain forest! On the second night, I was desperately in need of a wash, but still the water tank had not been refilled. It was most unpleasant not being able to clean up. This also meant that guests could not flush the toilet in their rooms, which again, in the heat, was unpleasant. After much moaning by members of our group, we were eventually given a bucket of water outside each room to flush the loo. Even more worrying was that the restaurant at the Lodge was still serving food, even without a water supply! When we pointed this out, the restaurant was eventually closed for the night.

The Dive Centre is amateur at best. Thankfully, everyone in our group took their own kit out to Tobago. However, the dive guides (who were great incidentally) were diving with old equipment, which clearly had not been serviced for some time. One of the guides was diving with two leaking hoses and we often had to ask for "o" rings to be replaced as the tanks were leaking.

Two guys joined our group to dive during the first week. One of them hired kit from the Centre and was given a faulty regulator. His dive was so stressful that he did not dive again for the rest of his stay. The other guy was unable to hire a computer as none were available, notwithstanding that it is essential to use one in the Tobago currents. He was told to dive without one, but thankfully I always carry a spare and so was able to lend him one.

Tanks were rarely fully filled, even for those of us who paid extra for nitrox fills. At the end of out stay, some of us were charged for nitrox that we had not even used. When we pointed this out, the charges were dropped.

The dive boats were inadequate for a group of our size and so were overweighted, cramped and uncomfortable. The overweighting caused the engine of one of the boats to hang too low in the water, with the result that the engine emitted thick black fumes, which made a lot of us feel sick. This boat eventually broke down during one of our days out and so we missed the second dive on the Sisters site.

The kit washing facilities were also inadequate and dirty.

The last straw for me was returning to my room to find a cockroach in the bathroom. That was it - I knew I had to get out of Manta Lodge. Luckily, I was able to move next door to Speyside Inn for the second week of my holiday. What a contrast the Inn was - it was immaculate, well run and the staff were friendly and attentive.

Some of our group were only staying in Tobago for a week, whilst the rest of us had booked for two weeks. I had already indicated to our tour operator in the UK that, if it was not going to be possible to move accommodation, then I would want a flight home at the end of the first week and would forego the second week of my holiday. I just did not want to spend another week at Manta Lodge.

What else is there to say? I most certainly will not be going back to Manta Lodge!

Sharkbait
West Sussex

• Liked — Leaving after the first week
  • Disliked — The poor quality and cleanliness and the poor service
  • Stayed May 2008
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2008

Having read the last couple of reviews I felt compelled to write my own. I am planning a return visit to Manta Lodge and therefore decided to check out the latest reviews and quite honestly can't believe we are talking about the same place!!

I stayed for 2 weeks in February 08 with my husband. We completed the PADI Rescue Diver course, First Aid and several specialities including Photographer, Deep Diver etc. and we honestly had one of the best diving experiences of our life!

This was some of the best diving we have experienced in the world and Sean (the owner) his father Clive, Lynne (the 'Diving Manager') and crew could not have treated us better and in fact we were treated like one of the family!

Sean gave up his own time to personally teach me underwater photography, Lynne was professional at all times, with sound local knowledge of dive sites etc. and we had many laughs with Clive, Arthur, Lynne and Sean in the evenings.

The accommodation is a little tired and in need of attention but I can say from the heart I really couldn't care less! Our room was comfortable, air con worked, fridge was fine and bed was clean. One guest did complain about the sound of the ocean keeping them awake - please!!!

I went for the experience and was recommended Manta Lodge in Speyside for the personal attention and experience of the team. The accommodation is not sold as 5 star luxury but as a Diving Lodging. Other people staying at the lodge were interested in the bird watching, flora, fauna etc. and we didn't hear any complaints in our time there and some included Americans who do expect a high standard of service.

Breakfast was wonderful - fresh fruit every day, eggs, etc. personnaly cooked to your liking and only 2 buffets in 2 weeks when large parties of 'twitchers' were in.

In conclusion, if you are not interested in diving, walking, bird watching, flora, fauna etc. and the real carribean and you only want to sunbath then go to Pigeon Point in the south. However if you want to experience some of the best diving in the world (rays, turtles, jawfish, nurising sharks, sponges etc) with fantastic drift diving etc. with a knowledgeable crew then stay here!

We had pre booked the PADI REscue Diver and 6 day dive package we ended up diving every day and completed 20 dives each and 5 specialities, meaning we are now Master Scuba Divers - I can't say anymore than that! - We will definitly be going back!

• Liked — Being welcomed into the family!
  • Disliked — Very little!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PQ1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Speyside
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
#2 of 2 in Bacolet Bay
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Manta Lodge? Share your experiences!