“Cozy hotel in divers paradise”
Review of Manta Lodge

and 1 more site!
Manta Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Speyside B&B and Inns
Uppsala, Sweden
“Cozy hotel in divers paradise”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Had a very nice stay at Manta Lodge in Speyside. The owners Kathleen and Sean made us feel right at home from the beginning. To this small village Speyside you come for the great diving, snorkeling and birdwatching in the close by jungle. The cozy hotel is next to the beach and it has spacious airconditioned rooms with balconys and seaview. Went on the trip with a friend but i would definitely recommend both the hotel and the village to couples, it was a very romantic place ... Me and my friend spent many lazy hours just liming around the pool when we werent out on our dive or snorkeling tours. I made my first five dives in over a year but Sean and his experienced dive masters made me feel safe and i loved it! Convenient that the hotel has its own diveshop to...

The very helpful hotel staff arranged everything from taxi rides to the beaches on the carribean side of the island to a gudie for our birdwatching tour. The island is small so its easy to spend a day on an almost deserted carribean beach and still live on the atlantic side where its less touristic and still extremely beautiful. I would recommend Manta Lodge to anyone, thank you Sean and Kathleen you made our holiday :)

Room Tip: Pick a room with balcony ut i'm not sure that you can find one without though ...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marianordholm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Black Rock, Tobago
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed at the Manta Lodge, Speyside for the first time for 2 nights during March. I'm a Trini, but like so many of us, I've not lived in T&T for over 20 years. And, although I have visited many times, primarily for diving, this was the first time I've stayed in the north of 'bago.
I've often wondered about the Manta Lodge, especially as its restaurant / bar looks so inviting next to their swimming pool!
And, I must say, my expectations were exceeded. As soon as I arrived I was warmly greeted by Kathleen and their staff and shown to my room. The room was large, clean and comfortable. However, it was the atmosphere of the dining area which attracted me to it like a moth.
The Lodge attracts a varied crowd, young and old, divers & nondivers... however, the common denominator running through the other guests was the friendly atmosphere. Dinner was delicious and after I found myself chatting with the other guests for quite some time.
The next morning's breakfast really hit the spot and I read my paper until it was time to get into the water. If you don't know, diving in Tobago is world reknown!

The Lodge has my thumbs up, 10 out of 10... I'll be back :)

Room Tip: room #4 has a great central view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dania Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Take your watch off . Your on island time now or shall I say Manta Time. Relaxed , unpretentious, expect nothing and you'll be quite surprised at all that is here for a super vacation. The locals of Speyside open their arms to you as you stroll their beaches, walk their roads and explore all their offerings. Manta Lodge has an unobstructed view of the bay with Goat and Little Tobago Island in the distance. The constant breezes, rolling waves and songs of all the birds loll you into paradise and this is our first morning!!. Manta Lodge has its quirkiness and this a t-shirt, shorts, flip-flops and swim suit kind of place. Bring some walking shoes, because there are plenty of places to explore on that off day of diving. The bar is on an honor system, you take it you write it down. And when your hungry just let them know. The prices are comparable if not the same to any in the surrounding villages. And the food quality is great! Albacore Tuna salad, fresh caught. Lobster, fresh caught. Even the lamb , which an Aussie and a South African had, licked their plates clean. Be sure to try the Flying Fish sandwich, tasty. Curry night can't be missed. We did try other eateries but afterwards we thought, why did we bother. The girls at Manta Lodge gave us Fabulous home-cooked, local cuisine. No chefs needed here! The rooms are clean with comfortable beds. Great shower pressure. Clean towels daily, both beach and room if needed. Cool A/C which we would turn off at night to hear the waves. NO TV....not needed! And , yes this is a dive resort. Be prepared ...its only 5 minutes by boat to dive sites!!! No need to carry your huge dive bag onboard, you will find its not needed. We had our wet suits on before getting on board. There is no wake up call for meeting the boat at 6AM.....It doesn't exist!! You will ALL have a leisure breakfast before heading out around 9AM. We spent 3 days diving and it was spectacular. All the colors, types of coral and fish. My favorite Japanese Gardens. I told them ," I want to go on that ride again!!!". And of coarse the famous, worlds largest brain coral is here too. All the guys are knowledgeable, friendly and handle all your gear from start to finish. We took a day to enjoy other sites on the island. One of the best days of my life was spent with Kenneth. His comfortable van swept us off to do some hiking in the rain forest, explore uninhibited beaches, even a "local only " waterfall. We stopped for libations and fresh fruit several times and a local lunch. He would stop to point out plants, birds or just the most scenic view you have ever seen. So, you see, you are on island time . Let the Manta Lodge handle your trip plans. Transfers, room, meals, diving, excursions. They will make sure you are taken care of. All the people we came in contact with are so proud of their island and make you feel at home. A huge Thank You to all who made our trip memorable. The last day was a sad day...I had to put my watch back on!!

Room Tip: Room 14 is a smaller without a direct balcony. The surprise is a door just beyond the bathroom. Open...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzi L
Vanlose, Denmark
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Manta Lodge is really a divers' paradise. I do not dive, but still found it an excellent place for getting to the Little Tobago - birds watching, to the reef, snorkling, to the rain forest and Water falls, and to get around. No big luxery, but great charm and homely atmosphere and good stories. The hosts and staff are kind and sweet. It is a great place at the tip of Tobago, away from the busier other end. I can really recommend the place. You will see much of the Island, just going there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Leduc, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife & I just returned from a week (Feb. 10 - 14th inclusive) of diving with the Tobago Dive Experience crew at the Manta Lodge in Speyside, Tobago. I've dived in many parts of the world with a great many dive operators. Sean & Kathleen, wonderful people who operate likely the most professional customer oriented diving service I have ever come across. The Dive Crew including Tooly (I can't say enough about this guy. He is an incredibly attentive / masterful Dive Master & tour guide. He knows the area both land and water like no one you can imagine. He truly enjoys meeting people and is a very accomplished host/ambassador to the dive company and Tobago in general. Simply a lovable guy.), Nickolas (Transport Driver & Boat attendant who is always happy, loves to interact with people and I think he truly enjoys his life and what he does. Just don't ask him to get in the water. LOL! Chances are, on your trip to or from Speyside, (In his blue rattley van, somewhat uncomfortable but you're in Tobago. Go with the experience and enjoy it, a highly interesting trip in itself. Bring your GO PRO and window mount to video the trip. You won't regret it.) you'll meet his mother, father, 2 sisters, & brother. A beautiful family. Make sure you say Hi to his Dad. Dad will question if you don't. LOL! ... Nickolas is a lucky guy.), Fedor (Dive Master & Boat Attendant who is eager to please and have fun with people. He's a big massively strong & huggable puppy. A true pleasure to be around. Nice hair Dude!), Lapito (Boat Captain who kinda doesn't smile much and the rest of the boys continuously hassle him for it. Completely all in fun. It's hilarious, but he is engaged to a beautiful young lady. She is a lucky woman. Lapito is a caring remarkable guy. Just don't tell him I said that ... Just kidding.), Motley (Dive Master/Instructor we spent very little time with, to our regret, as he was busy with students. I wish we were able to spend more time with. We were able to spend some time with him when we all went out one night to Illusions. I'm glad we got to do that. A great guy.) .... I was able to do 15 dives in that 5 days with this incredible Dive Team. My wife did 5 dives. She is not really a new diver but she doesn't have a lot of dives so she needed a little attention and this crew was able to make her completely comfortable in the water. My wife and I are among the fortunate people on Earth who have spent time with this group. The diving was amazing (although I never got to see my Manta Ray or Hammerhead) with at least 100'+ visibility on every dive except the Wreck (Wrong Turn) which was around 50-60' with quite a bit of silt but still a great dive. We stayed at the Magdalena Beach Resort in Scarborough where Tobago Dive Experience has a satellite Dive Shop. If not for this Dive Shop we would not have met all these wonderful people. Although we didn't stay at the Manta Lodge, we spent quite a bit of time with some of the staff Carissa and Julia in particular. Wonderful ladies and more than helpful. Not to mention Kathleen herself who made us completely at home at their resort. She is nothing less than an utter Sweetheart and caring host. She and Sean are engaged and we truly wish them all the best in their future. Sean has no end of interesting stories. Very entertaining. They have a great deal to grateful for. The Manta Lodge is quaint, clean, and rather rustic with incredibly great food. I really can't say enough about Tobago Dive Experience, their Dive Team, and their customer service. We were truly sorry to see this vacation come to an end and it was truly an emotional good-by to all of them. I hope we will be able to go back before too long. If you decide to go there you won't regret it at all. You will also be among the fortunate few to spend time diving in a great spot with incredible people. If after you go, you don't feel that way? ... You are the problem, no one else. You are likely one of these people that no matter where you are you are a complainer and nothing can make you happy anyway. Stay at home and quite putting stupid reviews in Trip Advisor!

Room Tip: My wife & I just returned from a week (Feb. 10 - 14th inclusive) of diving with the Tobago Dive...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brady V
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 January 2014

If you're a diver and going to Tobago, Speyside is the place to be. And Manta Lodge is the place to stay. Accommodations are modest (something always needs repair! No TV but there is WIFI. Bring a book!) but clean and every room has a view of the bay. The food is not gourmet but quite acceptable (just don't order the lamb! Stay with fish and chicken!) and as good or better anything else nearby (Speyside is very isolated!) But the key is the welcoming staff. Kathleen is a very warm and welcoming person (make sure she is there when you visit!) and Sean is a divemaster with long experience (he will tell stories!) The 5-STAR Padi dive center is attached to the place and the dive experience was very good. (Some upgrade of the boat would help, but not bad.)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nathan C
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Kathleen was so warm & welcoming. The rooms were clean & comfortable. It was wonderful listening to the ocean as I drifted off to sleep. Kathleen was such a help in planning the rest of our trip. We dove with another company but next time I stay here I will go diving with Sean! Great breakfast too!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Speyside
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Blue Waters Inn
Blue Waters Inn
#1 of 5 in Speyside
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Been to Manta Lodge? Share your experiences!