“Just like home. Only better.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Manta Lodge

Manta Lodge
Ranked #2 of 5 Speyside B&B and Inns
Zurich, Switzerland
“Just like home. Only better.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Manta Lodge Speyside is not a hotel. it's an attitude! If you choose to spend some time there, you'll get a chance to do great diving, meet friendly people and dogs, eat tasty local food and find a little bit of paradise. It's a place with heart and once you're part of it, you never want to go back home!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Slc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The Manta Lodge on Tobago was a great get away.

Sean Robinson and Kathleen along with their staff and 3 lovable dogs made all 6 in our party feel right at home.

Stunning ocean views of Goat Island and the town of Seyspray was very warming.

I can not express enough how fabulous all the dives were. Tuli and the rest of the team were excellent as well as FUN.

Thanks so much to all the staff at Manta Lodge Tobago for everything.

Dave and Peggy Fitzgerald
SLC, Utah

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank fitzandpeg
Santa Rosa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My Husband and I stayed here to celebrate a milestone birthday, we had the best time. Sean, Kathleen, Clyde, Tooley, Octiva ,Julia and the rest of the family made us feel like family. Our diving experience was the best we have had anywhere, the reefs and fish are the most abundant in all the carribean we are more advanced divers and Sean was happy to please us over and over again. If you know anybody that would like to learn how to dive this place has the best instruction on scuba diving I have every seen. We had the opportunity of being there during 4 people taking the course they were not all together and all ther experiences was amazing due to the wonder staff. The food was great!!!!! The hotel area is nice with pool and beach to enjoy nice bar to visit other guest or just have a cocktail. We also had a chance to go fishing with Sean and staff on Jims birthday and that was icing on the cake. Oh did I mention Octiva baked a wonderful cake. Great place for all to stay. We will be back and with some friends to extend the family. Thanks to all who made our stay and birthday so special. <>< <>< <><

Room Tip: We stayed on second floor it was nice but maybe a little close to the bar south side was a bit bette...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I was fortunate enough to spend a weekend at the Manta Lodge and enjoy their hospitality and diving. The hotel has a fantastic view of the bay at Speyside and is close to the jetty where the dive operation, Tobago Dive Experience, has the charter boat.

I have stayed at fancier place in my travels, but Manta Lodge was exactly what I wanted for this stay. Big common area to visit with the other divers and travellers, poolside bar to share dive stories, pictures and videos. The staff is attentive and friendly. The divemasters and crew are top notch.

This is the place to stay in Tobago for diving and nice familiar Caribbean type vibe.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Uppsala, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Had a very nice stay at Manta Lodge in Speyside. The owners Kathleen and Sean made us feel right at home from the beginning. To this small village Speyside you come for the great diving, snorkeling and birdwatching in the close by jungle. The cozy hotel is next to the beach and it has spacious airconditioned rooms with balconys and seaview. Went on the trip with a friend but i would definitely recommend both the hotel and the village to couples, it was a very romantic place ... Me and my friend spent many lazy hours just liming around the pool when we werent out on our dive or snorkeling tours. I made my first five dives in over a year but Sean and his experienced dive masters made me feel safe and i loved it! Convenient that the hotel has its own diveshop to...

The very helpful hotel staff arranged everything from taxi rides to the beaches on the carribean side of the island to a gudie for our birdwatching tour. The island is small so its easy to spend a day on an almost deserted carribean beach and still live on the atlantic side where its less touristic and still extremely beautiful. I would recommend Manta Lodge to anyone, thank you Sean and Kathleen you made our holiday :)

Room Tip: Pick a room with balcony ut i'm not sure that you can find one without though ...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marianordholm
Black Rock, Tobago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed at the Manta Lodge, Speyside for the first time for 2 nights during March. I'm a Trini, but like so many of us, I've not lived in T&T for over 20 years. And, although I have visited many times, primarily for diving, this was the first time I've stayed in the north of 'bago.
I've often wondered about the Manta Lodge, especially as its restaurant / bar looks so inviting next to their swimming pool!
And, I must say, my expectations were exceeded. As soon as I arrived I was warmly greeted by Kathleen and their staff and shown to my room. The room was large, clean and comfortable. However, it was the atmosphere of the dining area which attracted me to it like a moth.
The Lodge attracts a varied crowd, young and old, divers & nondivers... however, the common denominator running through the other guests was the friendly atmosphere. Dinner was delicious and after I found myself chatting with the other guests for quite some time.
The next morning's breakfast really hit the spot and I read my paper until it was time to get into the water. If you don't know, diving in Tobago is world reknown!

The Lodge has my thumbs up, 10 out of 10... I'll be back :)

Room Tip: room #4 has a great central view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dania Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Take your watch off . Your on island time now or shall I say Manta Time. Relaxed , unpretentious, expect nothing and you'll be quite surprised at all that is here for a super vacation. The locals of Speyside open their arms to you as you stroll their beaches, walk their roads and explore all their offerings. Manta Lodge has an unobstructed view of the bay with Goat and Little Tobago Island in the distance. The constant breezes, rolling waves and songs of all the birds loll you into paradise and this is our first morning!!. Manta Lodge has its quirkiness and this a t-shirt, shorts, flip-flops and swim suit kind of place. Bring some walking shoes, because there are plenty of places to explore on that off day of diving. The bar is on an honor system, you take it you write it down. And when your hungry just let them know. The prices are comparable if not the same to any in the surrounding villages. And the food quality is great! Albacore Tuna salad, fresh caught. Lobster, fresh caught. Even the lamb , which an Aussie and a South African had, licked their plates clean. Be sure to try the Flying Fish sandwich, tasty. Curry night can't be missed. We did try other eateries but afterwards we thought, why did we bother. The girls at Manta Lodge gave us Fabulous home-cooked, local cuisine. No chefs needed here! The rooms are clean with comfortable beds. Great shower pressure. Clean towels daily, both beach and room if needed. Cool A/C which we would turn off at night to hear the waves. NO TV....not needed! And , yes this is a dive resort. Be prepared ...its only 5 minutes by boat to dive sites!!! No need to carry your huge dive bag onboard, you will find its not needed. We had our wet suits on before getting on board. There is no wake up call for meeting the boat at 6AM.....It doesn't exist!! You will ALL have a leisure breakfast before heading out around 9AM. We spent 3 days diving and it was spectacular. All the colors, types of coral and fish. My favorite Japanese Gardens. I told them ," I want to go on that ride again!!!". And of coarse the famous, worlds largest brain coral is here too. All the guys are knowledgeable, friendly and handle all your gear from start to finish. We took a day to enjoy other sites on the island. One of the best days of my life was spent with Kenneth. His comfortable van swept us off to do some hiking in the rain forest, explore uninhibited beaches, even a "local only " waterfall. We stopped for libations and fresh fruit several times and a local lunch. He would stop to point out plants, birds or just the most scenic view you have ever seen. So, you see, you are on island time . Let the Manta Lodge handle your trip plans. Transfers, room, meals, diving, excursions. They will make sure you are taken care of. All the people we came in contact with are so proud of their island and make you feel at home. A huge Thank You to all who made our trip memorable. The last day was a sad day...I had to put my watch back on!!

Room Tip: Room 14 is a smaller without a direct balcony. The surprise is a door just beyond the bathroom. Open...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzi L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Speyside
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Top Ranking Guesthouse
#4 of 5 in Speyside
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort

Been to Manta Lodge? Share your experiences!