“Divers Need to Go” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Speyside B&B and Inns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Divers Need to Go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We arrived to the Manta Lodge in the evening so had no idea of how beautiful it would be when we woke up in the morning. The lodge sent a driver to retrieve us from the airport and they were very kind to get us so late. It took almost an hour at the customs line so be prepared for a potential wait. Just arrange with Kathy for your transportation to and from the airport. On our first night, after we met Kathy and Sean, we knew this was going to be an adventure. *tune in Indiana Jones theme song music*

The lodge is homey – a large comfortable bed, spacious room and walk in shower so it was easy to get cleaned up after a day of diving. All rooms are ocean view. The décor was tasteful and the atmosphere was like being with friends. They have a dining area and Moray Eel Bar. The food was great and the ladies worked hard to get things the way you liked it. If you need something, be sure to ask. You can walk out your room door and to the back is rainforest trails and to the front is the ocean. Sean owns most of the land around that area and intends on keeping it pristine and wild. We ate at the lodge for most of our meals but we went over to Charlottesville one night for dinner at Sharon’s which was delicious. Don’t bother with places along the main road as they are overpriced though try to get into Jemma’s if possible. Sean is very social so you will drink with him. He will tell you like it is, so don't be too sensitive.

We booked the trip with scuba diving in mind. We had our orientation in the morning and got to diving first thing. The drift diving is known as some of the best in the world; it was true to its reputation. Sean is a very accomplished diver so you are in good hands. I cannot speak enough praise about Sean’s crew. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Sean and Tian were great dive masters, and Fedor, Fedor was the best. He is your elevator back into the boat and a great dive master. Everything is big in Tobago. Amazing coral growth, the largest brain coral and carpet sponge in the world. Lots of turtles, huge sharks, and the stupidest damsel fish in the world. When you go, you want to do a night dive; octopus, lobsters, enormous crabs, and drift diving at night is an adventure.

We spent a week, diving all week and then seeing the island the last day. We hired Kenneth to be our guide. Kenneth is an absolute riot. Kenneth knows literally every person on that island, is knowledgeable about island information, and is a perfect guide. He took us to Argyle Falls, a hike in the rainforest (he is an expert bird caller!), and then to Englishman’s Bay to snorkel and have lunch. We took the circuitous route around the island and it was a splendid time. Just ask Kathy, she will take care of you.

If you're headed to Tobago, I highly recommend the Manta Lodge. You won’t be disappointed!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shirazalways

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Manta Lodge Speyside is not a hotel. it's an attitude! If you choose to spend some time there, you'll get a chance to do great diving, meet friendly people and dogs, eat tasty local food and find a little bit of paradise. It's a place with heart and once you're part of it, you never want to go back home!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Slc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The Manta Lodge on Tobago was a great get away.

Sean Robinson and Kathleen along with their staff and 3 lovable dogs made all 6 in our party feel right at home.

Stunning ocean views of Goat Island and the town of Seyspray was very warming.

I can not express enough how fabulous all the dives were. Tuli and the rest of the team were excellent as well as FUN.

Thanks so much to all the staff at Manta Lodge Tobago for everything.

Dave and Peggy Fitzgerald
SLC, Utah

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank fitzandpeg
Santa Rosa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My Husband and I stayed here to celebrate a milestone birthday, we had the best time. Sean, Kathleen, Clyde, Tooley, Octiva ,Julia and the rest of the family made us feel like family. Our diving experience was the best we have had anywhere, the reefs and fish are the most abundant in all the carribean we are more advanced divers and Sean was happy to please us over and over again. If you know anybody that would like to learn how to dive this place has the best instruction on scuba diving I have every seen. We had the opportunity of being there during 4 people taking the course they were not all together and all ther experiences was amazing due to the wonder staff. The food was great!!!!! The hotel area is nice with pool and beach to enjoy nice bar to visit other guest or just have a cocktail. We also had a chance to go fishing with Sean and staff on Jims birthday and that was icing on the cake. Oh did I mention Octiva baked a wonderful cake. Great place for all to stay. We will be back and with some friends to extend the family. Thanks to all who made our stay and birthday so special. <>< <>< <><

Room Tip: We stayed on second floor it was nice but maybe a little close to the bar south side was a bit bette...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I was fortunate enough to spend a weekend at the Manta Lodge and enjoy their hospitality and diving. The hotel has a fantastic view of the bay at Speyside and is close to the jetty where the dive operation, Tobago Dive Experience, has the charter boat.

I have stayed at fancier place in my travels, but Manta Lodge was exactly what I wanted for this stay. Big common area to visit with the other divers and travellers, poolside bar to share dive stories, pictures and videos. The staff is attentive and friendly. The divemasters and crew are top notch.

This is the place to stay in Tobago for diving and nice familiar Caribbean type vibe.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Uppsala, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Had a very nice stay at Manta Lodge in Speyside. The owners Kathleen and Sean made us feel right at home from the beginning. To this small village Speyside you come for the great diving, snorkeling and birdwatching in the close by jungle. The cozy hotel is next to the beach and it has spacious airconditioned rooms with balconys and seaview. Went on the trip with a friend but i would definitely recommend both the hotel and the village to couples, it was a very romantic place ... Me and my friend spent many lazy hours just liming around the pool when we werent out on our dive or snorkeling tours. I made my first five dives in over a year but Sean and his experienced dive masters made me feel safe and i loved it! Convenient that the hotel has its own diveshop to...

The very helpful hotel staff arranged everything from taxi rides to the beaches on the carribean side of the island to a gudie for our birdwatching tour. The island is small so its easy to spend a day on an almost deserted carribean beach and still live on the atlantic side where its less touristic and still extremely beautiful. I would recommend Manta Lodge to anyone, thank you Sean and Kathleen you made our holiday :)

Room Tip: Pick a room with balcony ut i'm not sure that you can find one without though ...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marianordholm
Black Rock, Tobago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed at the Manta Lodge, Speyside for the first time for 2 nights during March. I'm a Trini, but like so many of us, I've not lived in T&T for over 20 years. And, although I have visited many times, primarily for diving, this was the first time I've stayed in the north of 'bago.
I've often wondered about the Manta Lodge, especially as its restaurant / bar looks so inviting next to their swimming pool!
And, I must say, my expectations were exceeded. As soon as I arrived I was warmly greeted by Kathleen and their staff and shown to my room. The room was large, clean and comfortable. However, it was the atmosphere of the dining area which attracted me to it like a moth.
The Lodge attracts a varied crowd, young and old, divers & nondivers... however, the common denominator running through the other guests was the friendly atmosphere. Dinner was delicious and after I found myself chatting with the other guests for quite some time.
The next morning's breakfast really hit the spot and I read my paper until it was time to get into the water. If you don't know, diving in Tobago is world reknown!

The Lodge has my thumbs up, 10 out of 10... I'll be back :)

Room Tip: room #4 has a great central view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Speyside
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Top Ranking Guesthouse
#4 of 5 in Speyside
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort

Been to Manta Lodge? Share your experiences!