“I can sum it up in one word "FANTASTIC"”
Review of Manta Lodge

Manta Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Speyside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2009

I loved the Manta Lodge. I'd give it ten stars if i could. The staff were very friendly, and helpful. We never wanted for anything. The diving was fantastic. The only reason i gave the room 4 of 5 was because it didn't have a fridge, and if that is my only complaint, than that is saying something very positive about the resort. The food was excellent, a nice mix of local cuisine plus general foods people would like.
I will be back in the future, that i can promise.

• Stayed: April 2009

Reviewed 14 April 2009

My stay at the Manta Lodge was wondeful. My finance and I stayed for 5 nights and did six dives with the resident dive shop, Tobago Dive Experience, and we enjoyed every minute of it . Firstly the hotel is located just opposite the beach, all the rooms have a wonderful seaview, and off course some of the most beautiful dive sites are just a stones throw away (5-10mins by boat) . The hotel staff was courteous and dive staff of Tobago Dive Experience were just a joy to be around. Sean, Kester, Swiss, Arthur and off course Lappi, made everything from putting together the equipment to rolling off the boat fun, but dont let that fool you, they are also very professional and serious about safety. Sean is great especially for the less experienced diver or those wanting to get certified as he is an excellent teacher and can help guide you to mastering scuba. He has a wealth of knowledge (over 20 years diving experience in Tobago) and can identify everything that can swim, crawl or sway past him, and he also has a knack for pointing out things that you would have missed on a dive .

Speyside is a rather sleepy village, a chance to get away from the hustle and bustle. Although food choices are limited to just a few resturants, most within walking distance (Jemma's, Birdwatcher's, Speyside Inn Restaurant, Manta Lodge Restaurant and Blue Waters Inn Restaurant), the Manta Lodge Resturant is adequate, and pleasing after a long day of diving.

Despite the long winding drive from the airport ( about 1 1/2 hours ) Speyside is definitely the best place for diving in Tobago, with a lovely hotel and top class dive shop, a dive vacation there is definitely worth it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rishorisho
Reviewed 4 April 2009

I have to start out by saying two things. One, I am not related to the owners - I don't even know them - I have nothing to do with the hotel or dive operation. Two, I did not stay there - I only dove with the dive shop on site. However, due to the diving, I was there day after day, and I met the owner multiple times. I dealt with both the staff from the dive shop and the hotel, given that the hotel desk is on the same level just a few doors down, and I routinely left my valuables in their safe while diving. The restaurant is also on that level, along with the pool, so I dealt with the staff in those places as well.

It was so nice, I was sort of disappointed I had not stayed there due to the reviews I read on this site, so I asked for a tour of a room as if I planned to stay there. I also became friendly with some divers who were staying there, and I asked them about their rooms, and they had similar accommodations, so it was not as if they showed me the best room in the house.

I decided to write a review even though I did not stay there to counter some of the reviews I read here before I left, in case it could help anyone not have the same experience I did, which is to stay away from a place that is one of the nicer ones in the area due to reading the negative reviews on here. I had figured that one or two negative reviews might be the work of a crabby person, but several, as there were here, must mean something. I later found out most of the bad ones here were written mostly by people who all came in the same group at the same time.

I should note: this is not a "resort" of the type found in the south of the island. There is no hotel beach, though you are right across a very small road from on the ocean and there is plenty of beach there. The beaches are not white sugar sand in the north. This is not a 15 story building that is entirely air conditioned with a marble lobby and uniformed staff with a concierge and doorman. It is a lovely, charming little hotel on the ocean, for those who want to be in Speyside for a reason such as birding or diving. However, I did meet a family in which the mother and 12 year old daughter were not diving, and the father and 14 year old son were diving, and the mother and daughter had a perfectly nice time by the pool the whole time the father and son were diving. It is a very nice place, but if you are looking for sugar sand beaches and a large resort, you should go to the south of the island where those things exist.

Anyway, the place is clean as a whistle. The pictures posted on here seem to have been of a main floor out-building bathroom that was usually used by staff only. The bathroom in the room I saw was clean, as were the ones of the divers I talked to. The pool is well maintained and also very clean - I swam in it multiple times myself, and I am a sort of germaphobe, though not enough of one to not swim in pools at all. But had it been at all dirty looking, I certainly would not have gotten near it. And others were also using it, including a family playing with a beachball.

The staff is, on the whole, friendly, as is the owner. I only ran into one person who had the typical Speyside attitude, which is basically obvious dislike of working in the tourist industry and a not very helpful attitude, and that was in the restaurant.

On the other hand, I ran into many people who went above and beyond the call of duty to be helpful, and were very friendly and kind. I am pretty absent-minded, and I often gave them my valuables and my purse to put in the safe, and then forgot I heeded an item I left by mistake in my purse. Never did I get anything other than a happy retrieval of my items for me to sort through until I found what I needed and then they were happily put back.

At the dive shop the staff was helpful and friendly. I wanted to pay partly with travelers checks so I could get change in TT dollars, because the ATM machine in Charlotteville was out of money and I needed TT dollars, and partly by Visa. No problem. They stayed late to help me one evening, and even invited me to a birthday BBQ for one of the staff. In my absent-mindedness, I even left my clothes there overnight one night, because I went home with my sarong over my bathing suit. I realized the next morning that my favorite pair of shorts and t-shirt were missing, and I called the dive shop because I was not diving that day so I would not be there to look for them myself. They went out of their way to look for my things and found them neatly packed away in my dive gear. They are a busy dive shop and could easily have told me I would have to look myself when I returned, or that they would have to get back to me, but they did not.

When it was my last day, and due to weather and my schedule, I had not yet been able to take a boat to Little Tobago, even though seeing the red-billed tropic birds on the nest was one of my goals while there, the owner arranged for me to get a boat just for me, driven by one of his dive boat captains, who was getting off of work and supposed to go home, to go there so I could take my pictures. And he did not charge me an arm and a leg for it either. And, we were supposed to meet at three pm to go, but I did not have a watch (island time) and I was just walking back from the restaurant to the hotel at 3:05, so he came with the driver to look for me so I would not miss my boat ride!

All in all, my experience with this hotel was great. The building is nice and clean, the facilities are well run, the view is lovely - better than even their own website shows. I would stay there if I ever return to the north of Tobago.

The only thing missing is a hammock on every balcony. But that is just a personal thing with me - I like nothing better after a day of diving to relax in a hammock and look at the sea.

I have no idea what happened when the people who wrote the negative reviews were there. But I did not find a dirty, falling apart spot in my search for one, and I could not have had a better experience with the people.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank DcMbb
Reviewed 26 March 2009

If you are looking for people who are real Trini's polite, funny, and caring... Manta Lodge is the place. I have been living in Trinidad since August of this year, and when I arrived at the Manta, it was a breath of fresh air. My room (and my parents room who I brought for my second trip) was clean, towels and sheets changed daily. Fresh flowers cut from the garden, and the sea air from the windows was great. This is a great hotel for diving, Sean, Swiss, Aurthur, and Kes were all fun, and a laugh. There has been water, juice, and cookies or crackers on every dive I have been on (6 total over 2 seperate trips) and my dive instruction was excellent. In the afternoons, staff were available to set up tours if I wanted, or just for a drink at the bar. The pool was relaxing and the lounge chairs were a great place to read a book. This is quite place to get away from it all. I was treated like family, and will be back again in a month. Vidya was very concernd about our stay and made any extra arrangements I needed. It was fantastic. A special thanks to Sean, Swiss, Clyde, Vidya,Kes, and Aurthur who made me feel right at home.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2009

Angelica diver @aol.com
I am a dive intructor have been diving for many years be in yachts in Galapagos,beautifuls resorts in the caribbean and plain cottages in Thailand
Manta is a lovely hotel I am very picky when is comes to cleanliness.
I have a nice room facing the ocean it got clean every day , If I need anything I just have to asked .
the service at the restaurant was were polite nice and patience
It was lovely after coming back from a dive they offer coffee and tea all day long
You have to remenber people in the island are not used to be stress they might seem slow or indiferent the reality they are relaxed once you talk to them the show a beautiful smile and friendleness
And diving was superb divermasters did their job if you expect rigid schedules do not go to tobago

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank angelicadiver
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I arrived at Manta Lodge in Tobago on the 27th of February 2009 i stayed for that weekend until Sunday 1st 2009. During my stay I encountered very friendly helpful individuals that i can safely put into my Kin. It was my first time diving and doing the PADI certificate and i got nothing but complete professionalism from each member of the diving staff I can safely put my life in the hands of them anytime. The rooms were spotless they did not smell of smoke and the Air Conditioning worked great i truly loved the local feel to it . After being there for a day it seemed that everyone joined a big family and we had great fun together both the staff and the guests. If you are into diving well you probably know that Speyside in Tobago is one of the best diving spots in the world, that brings into the location of the Hotel it is so close to the diving that it made the journey quick and enjoyable with little time spend traveling. I personally would not stay anywhere else I am continuing my PADI course to advanced and i know that I will not come back to any other hotel or any other dive school. I am a student at MLIS Maple Leaf International School and as you know we students are not very well off but i found that the rate i was given was extremely reasonable and i will like to thank Vidia, Sean and all the members of the Manta Lodge staff and dive team for making my weekend one of the most memorable experiences in my life.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2009

We have just returned from a two centre dive holiday in Tobago. The first week was great, staying at the Toucan Inn and Bonkers at Crown Point (see review) For the second part of our holiday we booked the Manta Lodge in Speyside.
The location is very beautiful, however thats the only good thing I can say about this resort. I read a few bad rviews on Tripadvisor, but also some good ones so I thought we would be ok. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have travelled extensively throughtout the Caribbean and are used to tired look of resorts, we are also used to staying in basic dive lodges, but this place took the biscuit.
The doors on to the veranda did not shut and blew open when the wind blew. The sink and surrounding tiles were cracked and the taps and shower head were filthy.
The floor was dirty and there was even broken glass by the bed. The sheets were stained covered in bits of, well i'm not sure, and smelt as if somone had just got out of the bed, certainly not fresh. Every courner of the room was filthy, ground in dirt.
It was an effort for the staff to serve us a beer, and a smile was out of the question. We stayed one night, and I slept in my clothes and then phoned the Toucan Inn and they arranged for us to go back there for the remaining days of our holiday. I was dissappointed that we didn't get to dive in Speyside but I wasn't prepared to put up with that filth on holiday. Please take not of the bad reviews, they are true, see my photos to prove to prove the point.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pinkdiver08
Also consider these accommodations in or near Speyside
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Half Moon Blue Hotel
Half Moon Blue Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bacolet Bay

Been to Manta Lodge? Share your experiences!