“Fantastic Honeymoon”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Fantastic Honeymoon”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

It was beyond my imagination, I had a fantastic honeymoon at a fantastic resort. I never knew I would have such a great time at a fantastic resort with a group of ever helpful to assist in any way and friendly staff. The entertainment was great, the facilities was so relaxing it was just a dream honeymoon and i would love to spend every anniversary at your resort. Keep up the good work and great job from your wonderful staff, we just cant stop talking about our stay. Keep up your standard. Nigel

Room Tip: From what i hear all the rooms are great
2 Thank NIGEL T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Ilkley
Reviewed 18 December 2012

This is a recently refurbished hotel equipped to a good standard with attractive rooms and public areas. The private grounds are extensive and include a golf course and lakes. The beach goes on for miles. The staff are friendly and interact with the guests (without being over familiar) - but this is a two way thing, smile, be nice and the staff will respond.
We visited at the beginning of December 2012 when the hotel seemed very quiet and so there was no problem with crowding round the pools or getting restaurant reservations, but it is unlikely this will be a problem even when the hotel is full as there are 3 pools (a main near the central building with swim up bar) and two smaller satellite pools. The grounds are extensive and finding a quiet place is not difficult.
Some of the activities do not seem to happen, but they do, if you ask. This is not the type of hotel with compulsory organised 'fun'. We were able to eat several evenings in the A La Carte restaurant - Kalina - this was excellent and deserves the description 'Fine Dining'. Make sure you visit it as often as your privileges allow.
We experienced a small problem with the shower drain in the bathroom - maintenance resolved this within 20 minutes of mentioning it. This is an indication of the hotel's dedication to getting things right.
Some tips: The spa does get quite busy so make your bookings as soon as you arrive - try the hot stone massage ... hmmm.
We booked with Virgin holidays and paid for a Club Level upgrade. To us this was well worth the extra cost - VIP check in /late check out (6.00pm!), A La Carte dining every night when Kalina was open, 1 room service breakfast and some other frills.
Be aware the hotel is situated on the Atlantic coast. The breeze keeps the temperature bearable and the mosquitoes away but the sea can be quite rough at times, especially if you are not a confident swimmer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room reasonably close to the central building as it is quite a long walk if you are at the...
5 Thank Ilkleytravelsnob
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2012

My family and I stayed at the Magdalena Resort for one week in November 2012 and I must say a week was not long enough! We went for my mother's wedding and were very anxious to see how the day would turn out and we were not in any way disappointed. We were greeted by the lovey Vandra Alleyne, the wedding co-ordinator, who ensured that everything from the gorgeous layout of the wedding ceremony down to the fabulous flower arrangement was perfect. We could not have asked for any more. After the wedding we spent most of our time relaxing and enjoying the overwhelming beauty that the resort had to offer. The grounds were luscious and green and the three pools were equally gorgeous. The beach was vast and secluded - perfect for long romantic walks, it was also extremely close to the resort which allowed us to wake up to the amazing sounds of the waves hitting the shore. The interior of the hotel itself definitely matched up to its 4 star status. Everything was clean, tidy and modern. Our rooms were spacious and beautifully decorated with a balcony that overlooked the breath-taking view of the Atlantic Ocean. The beds were large and comfortable and we each also found robes and slippers in our rooms which gave a personal touch. There was also a fun kids club on site that my little cousin loved going to! Although very miniscule, the resort did have a few downsides. The food and drinks were spectacular with a lot of variety on offer however the service was often slow, sometimes painfully so. I also found it somewhat tedious having to give my room number and sign a receipt every time I ordered something. However, where the staff failed in efficiency they made up for with great hospitality. The staff was not only extremely courteous but also showed kindness and generosity and in fact I can truly say that, in the staff, I have made some friends for life. If you’re looking for an action packed holiday with a lot of entertainment then I’m not sure the Magdalena is the place for you. However, I would recommend to anyone wishing to stay in a calm and relaxing environment to choose the Magdalena Grand Resort! Especially any couples wishing to get married (make sure you ask for Vandra!!)

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the reception
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Shakaila F
San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I spent a wonderful three nights at this hotel from 23 nov - 26 nov, 2012. My husband asked for some flowers and wine to celebrate our anniversary and I was greeted with this wonderful surprise on entering our room. It was spacious and extremely well decorated. The room though standard did feel every bit high class. The views were amazing and a strong seabreeze was our constant companion for the entire stay. Very refreshing to hear those waves. The staff was friendly and accomodating. Here is my review:
Pros-
Value for your money. Our trip was bed and bfast. It was worth every penny.
A king size bed fit for a queen that was comfortable and non-scratchy, quality linens.
Staff was hospitable.
Pool was AMAZING. Had a lot of leisurely dips.
A strong sense of security. Very secluded but still felt safe to leave the electronics on the pool chair.
I personally loved the colour of our room (RM 340) so much I am going to paint my living room in it.

Cons
The place is cold from the constant breeze coming off from the ocean. The hotel really needs at least two hot pools.
The pastries sold at the cafe were poor in taste and sorry in sight. Not to mention very expensive. Still can't get over the TT28 dollars for an extremely small muffin.
If you don't have a car or some sort of transport, it would be hard to get around. This hotel is located in Lambeau and is not close to amenities. Gulf City Mall is about a 20 min walk away depending on your stride.
This was our first anniversary we were celebrating and all we got in extras was a plate of sweets. For such a huge establishment, I thought this was kind of smug.

Room Tip: Room 340-349 are the best in the house! Very close to the pub, the pool and restaurants located in...
3 Thank diahhinds
Trinidad
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The atmosphere here is unpretentious and relaxed but the service is excellent. I live in Trinidad and I can say that the service at Magdalena Grand is attentive and polite. The staff do not walk around with the pasted on smiles and perky " how are you" and I like that. The staff is genuine, helpful and efficient and for our twin island republic that is amazing.
The food at all the restaurants is fantastic and very reasonably priced. I especially recommend Kalina ( fine dining restaurant). The menus are a little limited so if you are staying for more than 3 nights the selection is limited. Breads and pastries are not the hotel's strong suit and I would not recommend the tea cafe. The muffins and pastries were dry.
Love the local dishes at breakfast.
The beach is not recommended for bathing but there is a shuttle to Pigeon Point. I however love the strong winds and cool breezes generated by the Atlantic Ocean. The pool is big, pretty and there is a swim up bar.
The rooms are clean and have all the necessities and then some. Some may consider the decor bland and a 4 star hotel this is not.
I love going to Magdalena. This was my second trip for the year and the staff and food were definitely improved this time.
There is also a spa on site. Great treatments and the prices are the same as outside of the hotel. Book early.

Room Tip: The rooms are quite spread out so if you want to be close to the pool, restaurants etc.. make sure a...
1 Thank vashtin
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Magdalena and being slightly off season the hotel was not particularly busy and this enabled ease of locating a sunbed round the pool - I would be concerned that this may be difficult if the hotel was busy especially if you were looking for shade as the umbrellas are thin on the ground and many of the beds are in exposed areas. In terms of the food - the meals are generally served in the buffet restaurant and in general the food is good however as in all mass catering situations there are the occasional offerings that do not quite hit the mark. There is the Kalina restaurant that if on an all inclusive package you get a voucher for 2 meals in a week - it is definately worth visting as the food and service is of a higher quality but be aware you do have to book in advance and they are not open every day (closed Sun / Wed while we were there). Point to note is that the dress code is VERY relaxed - too relaxed for me at times - shorts & t shirts is not uncommon at dinner it seems. If you have a rainy day the bar is the place to be where board games and Wii are laid on to keep you entertained. The only downside to rainy days for me is the fact that there is not really anywhere to sit in terms of comfy chairs to sit with a 'view' if you wanted to sit and chill with a book. The service in general is OK (hence my average score) there are individuals who understand that they are in a service industry but sadly there are a number that look surly and just do not speak. One thing I dislike is being ignored at the bar - cocktails are often being mixed and so waitng time is expected, but to wait 5 minutes (or more) without the bar staff even making eye contact does not make you feel welcome. In fact the most friendly staff could be found doing the most dull of jobs - handing out the pool towels! We also asked for a bill to check prior to checking out but the one we got at check out bore no resemblenace to it and when I enquired why got a blank look as if I was talking a foreign language and no apology. The location is good in terms of accessability to the rest of the island and to Scarborough, however it is on the Atlantic side so windy and the sea is quite rough. Also this means that you loose the sun round the pool fairly early as it decends behind the hotel. The rooms are good and clean and you can see that the fabrics are new and the TV and phone modern technology - there are some older peices of furniture that stick out as being older and more worn. We had a small maintenance issue with our plug that we reported one evening which was promptly resolved - so promptly in fact that maintenance arrived at 08.40 the next morning! As an all inclusive option - we found this to be value for money - the premuim drinks are not included but there are enough cocktail options and non premium drinks to get along with, the only issue being the house wine is a bit hit and miss! A couple of other points to mention that the hotel fail to do is that there is a beauty salon which without asking you wont get to hear about or get a price list for. Also there are bikes that you can ride round the estate which we only found out by accident (speak to the bell staff). Also the coffee shop outside the entrance is not included in the all inclusive package and there is a daily activity pamphlet which can be found behind the concierge desk and was once left on the breakfast tables. (note to the hotel - advertise what you offer!)

All in all I would recommend the hotel for comfort and relaxation but not for luxury if that is what you are after.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea but try for a room that faces the sunrise as the balcony for those that dont...
2 Thank Floella-Flower
sangre grande
Reviewed 2 December 2012

went there with my girlfriend, from arrival to departure everything was super great. from caretakers to management everyone was nice and helpful. breakfast excellent, dinner super excellent. pool beach everything was excellent. the treatment we got from staff was same as if we were from the US, UK.. Our bellman (Ranking) great help, ask for him when entering, he explains everything great guy. for sure i will be returning again and i advise people to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: third floor rooms great
1 Thank ryan b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!