“People makes a Place... pleasant”

Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Trinidad
“People makes a Place... pleasant”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The grounds of the Magdalena hotel is beautifu. The view, the openness of the pools, the locations of the pools, the resounding echoes of the beach as its waves lap at the shores, the Magdalenan's decor is indeed beautiful. The rooms are outlined simplistically, with its very impressive French Reflection mirrors. The scenery is beautiful. What can detract from it? The people.

Management at the Magdalena ought to get more involved in the people; the way they themselves treat their staff. It is almost evident that the Grand Resort needs some assistance here. Reward and recognition seems almost non-existent and the people-centric feel is amiss. Some staff clearly require a reintroduction to the Customer Service class. While the Magdalena's rooms are outfitted beautifully, there are major disparity with communication between the front desk and other branches of service departments. It also seems to be lacking in staff. A hotel of its magnitude should have extra staff: contingency staff even.

However, their employee turnover is regrettably high. My team and I, spent two weeks at the Magdalena. Week one, I was housed in room 238. I was disturbed each day with something awry in the room. Either robes weren't placed, the towels not changed, the floor not swept... little things that miffed me just a tad. The second week I was housed in room 222. It was in room 222, I learned that I was now placed on the North's territory, where Martha would be responsible for my comfort.

My housekeeper, Martha made the Magdalena to me, a 5-star hotel. There was nothing to do when I got back from the office but stare at the room's cleanliness each day, awash with thoughtfulness. I requested only peppermint tea to be placed and there they were... packets of Twinnings peppermint tea. I'd been using the coffee-maker to brew my tea, Martha noticed this and on my second day at the North territory in room 222, my dear Martha left a kettle for me. I could not pretend not to be touched by this. I left Martha a thank you note, which vanished the next day, I surmised with a smile no doubt. Martha never let me down that last week in which she took care of me. One day, she came to my door, her face aglow, eager to meet "her guest", as she called me. Imagine that touch of personal interest, "her guest"!.

The buffet team was our next treat. Neil and Monifa made the biggest impression on me. Neil's slight smile and pleasant dispositon was refreshing. Monifa's engaging personality drew me, her telling smiles and patient eyes didn't betray a single thought that she didn't wish to express. There was a small window of opportunity for her to do so, where I saw guests taking the plates from the cooking station that were not meant for the buffet area. Monifa advised the guests quite pleasantly that the larger plates were ideally for the buffet section. The guests returned the plates and Monifa took those aside to be washed. Less that 4 mins later the same guests took up more plates from the cooking station and then put them back. Monifa removed those again, setting it aside to be washed and smiled pleasantly.

I am probably a "picky" eater. I must have given Monifa so many tiny requests for my one little plate, and by the end of her cooking it, she had the brightest smile I saw that night. It did not feel to me that she was bothered, but quite pleased rather that I'd put in those million requests. By the 2nd night, I looked forward to seeing Monifa, even asking the buffet team to add a new mix of foods to the Asian Night Menu.

The buffet team remembered my preferences, no large onions, no chunky anything, no pepper, no mustard, not too much food... each time they saw me they smiled. I am grateful to Monifa, Neil, Kacey (who served me as I would have served her - I am also in the service industry), Wendy, Suzette and Wendy-Ann who asked to see me to thank me for my suggestions. The seemingly new chef, Demetri. While it is purely evident to me that the larger management team are in need of a Dale Carniege course, I commend those who thankfully provided my team and I with reasons to smile.

Our cabby-drivers - Wendel, Kareem and Jaleel.

Room Tip: Choose the north wing and personally request Martha. Its also not taboo to thank those who are takin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Adanna C
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Adanna,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a detailed review. We truly enjoy receiving feedback from our guests. Your coments have been noted as we continue to train our staff to provide our guests with exceptional service.

We are pleased that our team was able to deliever such great service to you and we thank you for mentioning them by name in your review. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to each one of them.

We do hope that we would have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the near future.

Warm regards from Tobago!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Anyone who has risen at 7am to plant beach towels on sun beds will worship this quiet civilised hotel. It is a little corner of undiscovered paradise. Directly on the beach, with a beautiful main pool with swim up bar and two dreamy remote infinity pools, the facilities are amazing. Although we visited in the low (rainy) season the sun always came out after the rain (sometimes the sun came out while it was raining!!) and the temperature rarely sank below 31'c. The staff are wonderful; they really relate to their guests on a personal level and always go the extra mile. The food is varied, high quality and beautifully cooked. The cuisine in the Kali'na gourmet restaurant is excellent. There is a welcoming pub and the wonderfully relaxing Tavaco lounge bar, with amazing live music, to while away the relaxed evenings. The only complaint is that at lunchtime only the Salaka Grill was open due to low occupancy and on one occasion this caused us to wait an unacceptable time to be served.
Tobago is a peaceful and largely undiscovered island, not commercially developed as we discovered by exploring both the Atlantic and Caribbean coasts. The scenery is beautiful and the people friendly. A true escape to paradise.
I would highly recommend Tobago for a truly relaxing and wonderful Caribbean holiday and the Magdelena beach hotel is the best hotel on the island.
Especial thanks to Judith, our tour rep, and her friend Edith for their wonderful hospitality.
An amazing holiday and the right place to celebrate a milestone event in our lives.

Room Tip: The second floor is on reception level (you go downstairs to the pool area) and has the best views o...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank M287
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Your review certainly brought a smile to our faces. We can definitely relate to the glorious sunrises on this side of island, but it is even more amazing when our guests have the opportunity to witness this. Tobago is truly an island paradise; perfect for that needed escape. We are thrilled that we could have been of service to you during your visit, and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I spent a weekend here with my Wife and 3 1/2 year old Son in late July, 2013. If was very relaxing, with beautiful views of the Ocean. It is situated just on the edge of a Turtle nesting beach. A couple months after we stayed there, we heard of turtle hatch-lings all over the beach; guess I missed out this time. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We only ate that the Pool side restaurant; Salaka Grill, taste was good, one of the waiters needed some training in Customer Service, but it wasn't enough to spoil my mood.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate hearing from you! It's such a shame that you did not get the opportunity to witness one of the most amazing sites - the turtles! The turtle season runs from April - the end of August, however there are still a few hatchling nests on the beach.
This is definitely something to add to your list of things to do on your next visit with us.

We look forward to welcoming you to our side of paradise in the near future.

Granada, Spain
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Lovely plantation grounds, and ideal for winding down from a stressful work life or for just a soft mode family holiday. Beach a bit rough if you've got small kids, but the pool area can make up for that. Staff accommodating, but don't make the mistake of ordering a sandwich and asking to take it with you if you haven't finished it, even though you've paid for it. DOGGY BAGS ARE NOT WELCOME TO THE ASKING!! Floor managers are hostile to such demands! Sad really, especially if you have kids. Need to rent a car if you really want to visit the island, can't rely on shuttles, only go to beaches and back. In relation to value for food at snack bars or restaurants, too expensive, a slight revue should be considered if they want their clientele to recommend /return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback as it is only through your comments that we are able to improve our service to you. We are truly sorry that your experience was not fully up to the Magdalena Grand standard, however we do hope that we would have the opportunity to be of service to you soon again.

Please feel free to let us know of your return and we would ensure you have a truly memorable experience.

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Excellent customer service, great ambiance paired with great food, friendly staff and beautiful decor ...prefect would definitely visit again. Well done Magdalena keep up the exceptional service and delicious food!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your dinner with us. It was certainly a pleasure to be of service and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Warm regards!
Port of Spain, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I could not have chosen a nicer place for a little R&R. The rooms were comfortable, the food was great and the view... WOW... There is a Jazz singer on Sunday night who is excellent. I am looking forward to another relaxing and enjoyable stay again soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Judy H
Dear Judy,

It is always wonderful to hear of our guests' experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you to our side of paradise in the near future.

west indies
Reviewed 22 October 2013

this location is ideal if you want seclusion and really wanna get away on arrival we were treated like friends the buggy ride to our room was exciting ,we got complementary bottle of champagne
the room was comfortable and homey .breakfast was great had a lot of variety take it from me after breakfast you don't need lunch The staff was very friendly and if you don't feel to walk around the hotel a buggy ride is but a call away, the only draw back is that there is no beach bathing at the hotel location but the pool is great and they provide transport to a local beach if you desire so you get a hideaway and a tour if you desire i will definitely go again soon

Room Tip: all are good
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joeyloose
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on our page. It is always wonderful to hear from our past guests. We're sorry that you did not get a chance to experience our beach. Although we are on the Atlantic Coast, which means the water may be a little wavier on this side, we are happy that we offer a complimentary shutle service to Pigeon Point Beach, which is on the Caribbean side of the island.

We would be sure to have your buggy ride ready for your next arrival!

Warm regards from Tobago!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!