“Great hotel, but isolated location.”

Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great hotel, but isolated location.”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The hotel itself was very good. Good room, great service, very clean and friendly place.
However, we would probably not return because we felt very isolated in this area. It costs about $18 to get ANYWHERE outside of the hotel, which makes going out for dinner, lunch or a day trip very costly. I

It would make a huge difference if the hotel offered shuttles to Crown Point. Another minus is that the beach here isn't good for swimming. The hotel does have shuttles to a better beach (Pigeon Point) but it's not the same as being able to go to the beach right outside your room.

Also - the food was not very good. Very mediocre, even at the Fine Dining restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lilopie
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Our location is indeed a unique one on the island, however it also allows us to be blessed by the cooling ocean breeze, as well as to enjoy the natural beaty, nature trails and wildlife found at the Tobago Plantations Estate.

It is unfortunate that your experience with us did not live up to your expections, however we have taken your comments into consideration and would certainly use them for our improvements.

We do hope that we would have another opportunity to be of service to you and to provide you with a truly memorable experience.

Warmet regards,
Magdalena Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

What an amazing Resort.
Staying at the Magdalena was an experience that can`t be described in words.
The hotel and grounds are amazing. Is it really only a 4 star , I asked myself. It should be a minimum 10 star rating.
The wide variety of foods, from local to international were incredible. and that was just in the Pembois buffet restaurant. Try the fine dining restaurant and you will be even more amazed. The service is impeccable and attention to detail is fantastic.
Also try the poolside restaurant. The Salaka grill. Great food to eat in between a dip in the huge pool and sunbathing. And if its still too hot, swim up to the poolsdie bar for a cocktail. Wow!!

From the minute we got there, the staff and management were so welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. Everyone would ask you if everything was ok and if you needed anything!

We stayed in a deluxe 2 bedroom oceanfron suite. Bigger than my apartment!!
2 huge bedrooms, 3 bathrooms a lounge, 3 patio areas and one with a hot tub!!!
The suite was furnished with fantastic quality furniture, 3 x TV`s , air con throughout and a telephone in every room!!
What was best is that in the mornings you would draw back the curtains and look out to the beach and sea. What a view.

The Magdalena in my opinion is the best hotel on the island. Great location and only a taxi ride away from the capital or to many different beaches on the island.
The Magdalena even offers a twice daily shuttle bus to Pigeon Point beach.
And if you dont feel like venturing out, there is plenty to do at the Magdalena.
The main pool area, 2 other pools, spa treatments , diving courses, a new improved PGA golf course, a gym and a few shops to browse in.

Am looking forward to returning soon.

Fantastic Hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank andy r
Dear Andy,

Sunny greetings from Tobago!

We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such wonderful reviews and detailed feedback.

It was a pleasure to be of service to you and we certainly look forward to your return in the near future.

Best wishes,
Magdalena Grand
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Have been to Magdalena Grand for the period October 18 to 21st 2013.First I would like to thank Sasha in the front desk what a welcome! and my favourite Martha in housekeeping she is the best made my bed and made my day with her sweet smile my husband and I could not stop talking to her. dining at the Pembois was an experience don't change anything great service and great food. Thanks to every employee at the Magdalena Grand keep striving for excellence!

Room Tip: any room all is beautiful choose any one
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Helen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the rest of the world! We are very proud of our staff and are delighted that they have left such a memory with you.
We will be sure to pass along your feedback to both Sasha and Martha.
We look forward to welcoming you soon again!
Best wishes until then!
Bolton
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The Magdalena Grand is a credit to the Staff and Management, here is my review, I hope you find it useful?

Check-in; We arrived at the Magdalena Grand (mags) on the 30th October 2013 after a long flight from London Gatwick to a very warm welcome by the reception staff along with a welcome drink in the large refreshing reception with stunning views over the main pool and the sweeping Atlantic waves brushing the shores of the hotels two private beaches, curb appeal at its very best!

Room; After a fast check-in we were taken by short complimentary golf cart transfer to our suite (rooms 223/224/225) we were very happy when the door opened to what can only be described as a 5 Star suite. 2 bedrooms, 1 King and 1 twin both with private balconies. The twin had 2 x Queen Beds separated by a lounge with 3 seat sofa, coffee table, dining table & large private balcony with sunken Jacuzzi overlooking the beaches. We had 3 bathrooms, plenty of towels, complimentary amenities, slippers and dressing gowns that were changed daily. Each room had individual controlled air conditioning, a coffee maker with fresh coffee and a selection of Twining’s teas and bottled water, along with large LCD TV’s with English, International channels. Also in each room there is a mini fridge that can stocked on request and an IP Telephone ideal for the business traveller? The rooms and bathrooms are furnished with great attention to detail and are of the highest quality one would expect from first class hotel anywhere on the planet. View From our suite we overlooked the 24 hour infinity pool, palm trees and the north beach. At 5.50am the sunrise was amazing and the sounds of the waves was so addictive I spent many hours relaxing on the balcony, so private it was not overlooked by any other guest rooms, a truly unique hotel design! WIFI Free wireless internet is available throughout the hotel, the signal quality is excellent throughout and even on the beaches, powerful enough to check mail, Skype and upload pictures etc. Really surprising considering the size of the hotel, a great attribute to the hotel management to recognise the needs of the modern traveller!

Pools; There are three pools at the Magdalena Grand, the main is huge, child friendly and overlooks the beach, it features a swim up to bar. An abundance of high quality sun loungers (no need to get up at 5am and claim yours with a towel), there are risen terraces with wonderful rattan loungers, single, double and also at the side of the Salaka Grill there are also some on the beach for lazy romantic afternoons. There are two further infinity pools, an adults only on the south wing and a 24 hour pool at the north wing…..all within a 2 min walk along the well tendered paths of each other.

Beaches & Turtle Nests; There are two beaches at the Magdalena Grand, north and south? North beach has golden sand with sweeping waves, nice walk along the beach in the morning and the waves are great fun, the water is shallow up to 30 metres out, but the waves can be quite high, fun for adults but would advise that children are supervised at all times. South beach was amazing not as large as north beach but has turtle nests under the palms and if you are lucky enough you will see hatching baby turtles waddling down the beach toward the sea when the moon comes up at around 6pm. Unfortunately we didn’t but it was just at the end of the season, maybe next time?

Food; An amazing choice, something for everyone, from a light bite in Robinson Crusoe Pub (awesome nachos), lunch by the pool in the Salaka Grill to the excellent extensive buffet breakfast and dinner in Pembois. Something special, fine dining in Kali’na is just amazing, it simply does get any better! The staff are so attentive, prompt service and extremely welcoming to your individual needs. We were on All Inclusive and unlike many other Caribbean Island Hotel AI packages, Magdalena Grand is far superior!

Drinks & Entertainment; Robinson Crusoe is designed like an Englishmen’s pub, live sports, live entertainment Fridays and Saturdays. It overlooks the main pool and has three terraces overlooking the sea. Tavaco is the beautiful piano lounge with live entertainment 3 times weekly and has large comfy leather sofas with good furnishings, uncrowded with a furnished terrace overlooking the sea and the main pool. Li’l Nylon Pool bar (also swim up to pool bar) is ace during the day for a lazy cocktail or cool Carib or Stag Beer.

Activities; There are daily pool activities at the Magdalena Grand, the schedule is on a chalk board by the free towel pick point next to the pool bar. Free good quality mountain bikes to explore the huge resort, you just sign them out at reception and off you go. Golf, the course was closed whilst we were there but will be open by the 15th November along with the amazing clubhouse that I took a sneaky look at with a pro shop etc. Some of the fairways are completed and the hotel has a PGA Golf course builder (Neil) that is working very hard to make it the Caribbean’s finest course, from what I saw he and his team are doing an awesome job and I am looking forward to a round of golf on my next visit!

The Magdalena Grand Beach and Golf Resort is Tobago’s finest Holiday Experience. Far superior to other big name hotels such as Coco Reef and Turtle Beach by Rex. They are not of the same standard at all we visited them both.

The island has miles of white sandy coves untouched by hotel developments, well worth a jeep hire at 300TT per day (around £26). Guided island tours are available, Pigeon Point Beach is spectacular and only 7 mins from the hotel. The airport is 7 mins away and is 80TT (£6). Other great places of interest are - Argyle waterfalls, Bloody Bay, Englismen’s Bay, Castara Bay, Charlotteville, Fort St George and not forgetting Sunday School…..wow an experience you cannot miss but I am not going to tell you about it, its best if you experience is for yourself, every Sunday late afternoon through to late night, AWESOME!

I would advise that if travelling do not take US Dollars, take local currency I think the exchange rate is £1.00 to 12.50TT and the island including the hotel operate in TT not USD.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jack G
Dear Jack,

What a delight it was to read your review. Thank you for you taking the time leave us such detailed feedback about your stay.
It was an absolute pleasure to be of service and we are certainly looking forward to welcoming you once again in the near future.

Warm wishes from sunny Tobago!
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The grounds of the Magdalena hotel is beautifu. The view, the openness of the pools, the locations of the pools, the resounding echoes of the beach as its waves lap at the shores, the Magdalenan's decor is indeed beautiful. The rooms are outlined simplistically, with its very impressive French Reflection mirrors. The scenery is beautiful. What can detract from it? The people.

Management at the Magdalena ought to get more involved in the people; the way they themselves treat their staff. It is almost evident that the Grand Resort needs some assistance here. Reward and recognition seems almost non-existent and the people-centric feel is amiss. Some staff clearly require a reintroduction to the Customer Service class. While the Magdalena's rooms are outfitted beautifully, there are major disparity with communication between the front desk and other branches of service departments. It also seems to be lacking in staff. A hotel of its magnitude should have extra staff: contingency staff even.

However, their employee turnover is regrettably high. My team and I, spent two weeks at the Magdalena. Week one, I was housed in room 238. I was disturbed each day with something awry in the room. Either robes weren't placed, the towels not changed, the floor not swept... little things that miffed me just a tad. The second week I was housed in room 222. It was in room 222, I learned that I was now placed on the North's territory, where Martha would be responsible for my comfort.

My housekeeper, Martha made the Magdalena to me, a 5-star hotel. There was nothing to do when I got back from the office but stare at the room's cleanliness each day, awash with thoughtfulness. I requested only peppermint tea to be placed and there they were... packets of Twinnings peppermint tea. I'd been using the coffee-maker to brew my tea, Martha noticed this and on my second day at the North territory in room 222, my dear Martha left a kettle for me. I could not pretend not to be touched by this. I left Martha a thank you note, which vanished the next day, I surmised with a smile no doubt. Martha never let me down that last week in which she took care of me. One day, she came to my door, her face aglow, eager to meet "her guest", as she called me. Imagine that touch of personal interest, "her guest"!.

The buffet team was our next treat. Neil and Monifa made the biggest impression on me. Neil's slight smile and pleasant dispositon was refreshing. Monifa's engaging personality drew me, her telling smiles and patient eyes didn't betray a single thought that she didn't wish to express. There was a small window of opportunity for her to do so, where I saw guests taking the plates from the cooking station that were not meant for the buffet area. Monifa advised the guests quite pleasantly that the larger plates were ideally for the buffet section. The guests returned the plates and Monifa took those aside to be washed. Less that 4 mins later the same guests took up more plates from the cooking station and then put them back. Monifa removed those again, setting it aside to be washed and smiled pleasantly.

I am probably a "picky" eater. I must have given Monifa so many tiny requests for my one little plate, and by the end of her cooking it, she had the brightest smile I saw that night. It did not feel to me that she was bothered, but quite pleased rather that I'd put in those million requests. By the 2nd night, I looked forward to seeing Monifa, even asking the buffet team to add a new mix of foods to the Asian Night Menu.

The buffet team remembered my preferences, no large onions, no chunky anything, no pepper, no mustard, not too much food... each time they saw me they smiled. I am grateful to Monifa, Neil, Kacey (who served me as I would have served her - I am also in the service industry), Wendy, Suzette and Wendy-Ann who asked to see me to thank me for my suggestions. The seemingly new chef, Demetri. While it is purely evident to me that the larger management team are in need of a Dale Carniege course, I commend those who thankfully provided my team and I with reasons to smile.

Our cabby-drivers - Wendel, Kareem and Jaleel.

Room Tip: Choose the north wing and personally request Martha. Its also not taboo to thank those who are takin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Adanna C
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Adanna,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a detailed review. We truly enjoy receiving feedback from our guests. Your coments have been noted as we continue to train our staff to provide our guests with exceptional service.

We are pleased that our team was able to deliever such great service to you and we thank you for mentioning them by name in your review. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to each one of them.

We do hope that we would have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the near future.

Warm regards from Tobago!
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Anyone who has risen at 7am to plant beach towels on sun beds will worship this quiet civilised hotel. It is a little corner of undiscovered paradise. Directly on the beach, with a beautiful main pool with swim up bar and two dreamy remote infinity pools, the facilities are amazing. Although we visited in the low (rainy) season the sun always came out after the rain (sometimes the sun came out while it was raining!!) and the temperature rarely sank below 31'c. The staff are wonderful; they really relate to their guests on a personal level and always go the extra mile. The food is varied, high quality and beautifully cooked. The cuisine in the Kali'na gourmet restaurant is excellent. There is a welcoming pub and the wonderfully relaxing Tavaco lounge bar, with amazing live music, to while away the relaxed evenings. The only complaint is that at lunchtime only the Salaka Grill was open due to low occupancy and on one occasion this caused us to wait an unacceptable time to be served.
Tobago is a peaceful and largely undiscovered island, not commercially developed as we discovered by exploring both the Atlantic and Caribbean coasts. The scenery is beautiful and the people friendly. A true escape to paradise.
I would highly recommend Tobago for a truly relaxing and wonderful Caribbean holiday and the Magdelena beach hotel is the best hotel on the island.
Especial thanks to Judith, our tour rep, and her friend Edith for their wonderful hospitality.
An amazing holiday and the right place to celebrate a milestone event in our lives.

Room Tip: The second floor is on reception level (you go downstairs to the pool area) and has the best views o...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank M287
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Your review certainly brought a smile to our faces. We can definitely relate to the glorious sunrises on this side of island, but it is even more amazing when our guests have the opportunity to witness this. Tobago is truly an island paradise; perfect for that needed escape. We are thrilled that we could have been of service to you during your visit, and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Sunny wishes from Tobago!
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I spent a weekend here with my Wife and 3 1/2 year old Son in late July, 2013. If was very relaxing, with beautiful views of the Ocean. It is situated just on the edge of a Turtle nesting beach. A couple months after we stayed there, we heard of turtle hatch-lings all over the beach; guess I missed out this time. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We only ate that the Pool side restaurant; Salaka Grill, taste was good, one of the waiters needed some training in Customer Service, but it wasn't enough to spoil my mood.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate hearing from you! It's such a shame that you did not get the opportunity to witness one of the most amazing sites - the turtles! The turtle season runs from April - the end of August, however there are still a few hatchling nests on the beach.
This is definitely something to add to your list of things to do on your next visit with us.

We look forward to welcoming you to our side of paradise in the near future.

Sunny wishes from Tobago!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!