“It Ok But”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“It Ok But”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Its Ok but could do with a little TLC, especially with the outside cleanliness always bottles and glasses still round pool area the following morning, food is Ok, service very good, staff are wonderful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us.
Your feedback has been forwarded to our management team. We also wish to advise that we have increased our maintance crew to assist with the overall upkeep of the resort. Being on the Atlantic side of the island keeps things challenging as we battle the sea blast, however you can rest assured that we are on top of things and maintance is part of our daily schedule.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you soon again.

Warmest regards,
Magdalena Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed everything, the service was decent, the breakfast was delicious, and the facility was visually appealing... Very conducive for relaxation. The only possible criticism I could state, is that the rooms were pretty standard and not above average.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trini_Sway
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. Although short, it was indeed sweet and to the point, and we appreciate your comments.
It was a pleasure to be of service and we look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Warmest wishes,
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is a beautiful Resort, in a magnificent location, Tobago Plantations. The resort is beautifully set along the Tobago coastline and makes for a wonderful stay, you don't feel like leaving. The staff is very helpful, courteous and professional (Shout out to Anika at the PEMBOIS RESTAURANT & TERRACE, she is simply the best). Now some would say that should be expected but that lacks in some other hotels in Tobago. The breakfast buffet was ridiculous in a great way, covered all your needs, a great start to the day.

There are lots to do at the resort and you can enjoy a long stroll on the beach. Be warned though the seas are rough so be careful and can do with a bit of cleanup. Be clear I don't blame the hotel for that. I loved having a 24 hour adult pool for a late night dip and the Nylon pool bar was the best, drinks we quite affordable I must say. It's a great location near Gulf City Mall and Store Bay, so it's perfect for getting food outside the resort or going and relax at a bar and not spending allot of time on the road.

I thought I found a disappointment with them, in that their Ice Machine was not working, but the next day there was a repair man working on and when I checked it was back in business. That should tell you the type of service they provide, I WILL BE BACK!

Room Tip: Choose the ground floor Oceanfront Rooms, easy access to the facilities and carpark.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! It is always great to hear from our past guests and to learn of their stay with us.
It was truly a pleasure to be of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Sunny wishes until then,
London
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My friend and I spent five nights at this beautiful resort to wind down after the carnival in Trinidad. We booked our room through the Thomas Cook website and requested a twin room (in the special requests part of the booking). Upon arrival at our room, we discovered that we had been allocated a room with one king sized bed. The bell boy (Andrew) and the acting front desk manager (Hollis, I think) were very quick to resolve this and within half an hour gave us a well-located twin room (with free cocktails at the bar while we waited).

ROOM

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable and about a 15-second walk from the beach. Perfect! The hotel provides beach towels (which you sign for each day) and cleans the rooms promptly before midday (at least in our experience).

FOOD

Buffet breakfast was exceptional - 4*/5* standard (I say 4/5 because there was no smoked salmon). Eggs were cooked to order and there was plenty of succulent freshly cut fruit which was replenished constantly by a dedicated fruit-cutter. We looked forward to breakfast every morning.

We had the buffet dinner on our first night at the hotel after hearing rave reviews. Each night there is different them at the buffet restaurant and on our night it was creole / local food. For 317 Trinidadian dollars (around GBP 28 / US $46) we found the creole buffet dinner quite underwhelming and much of the food lacking in flavour. I particularly remember the oxtail stew which was bland and tough (it needed more time on the fire). We expected them to get the local food right, so this was a real shame.

RESORT

We only spent one full day relaxing at the hotel and were pleasantly surprised to hear live music by the poolside (performed by a mother, father and son) which lasted a few hours after breakfast. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the beach at Pigeon Point at 9am and 11am with return shuttles at 2pm (I think) and 4pm. This was great because the sea at Pigeon Point is a lot calmer than the sea at the resort and the beach at Pigeon Point is beautiful and close to Crown Point where you can get Tobago's famous curry crab and dumplings.

SPA & SALON

There is a hairdresser and spa on site which is privately run. They have a great hair stylist and cutter (Hazel-Ann) who has years of international experience and who gave me the best hair cut I've ever had (in all seriousness). The spa wasn't advertised in our room so we didn't discover it until late. Had we seen it sooner we would have had more treatments as the quality was high and the prices very reasonable. I recommend the pedicures; even the most basic type includes a paraffin wax treatment. Superb.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelholicLondoner
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate the time you took to share your review with us and the rest of the world.
It's wonderful to know that you enjoyed our buffet style breakfast. Did you know it is the most popular breakfast on the island!

We apologize for not having the spa matertial in your room. This is usually there for our guests to view. Great to hear that you had the opportunity to visit them anyway and that you were pleased with the service offered. We would be sure to let Hazel Ann know of your kind comments.

We do hope to welcome you soon again to our side of paradise.

Warm wishes from Tobago,
Larne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We definitely found Paradise at the Magdalena Grand. We stayed on an all inclusive basis. The food was faultless, varied and absolutely wow! I was sending my compliments to the chefs at every mealtime.....and I've never done that before. Each evening there would be someone cooking something live.... and it was different every night. We had one night in the Kalina, but ate in the buffet the rest of the time. Although the Kalina was excellent, the buffet restaurant wasn't any less excellent either! My partner loves soup and had to admit that the ones in the buffet were definitely the best he'd tasted anywhere.

I've just seen a recent review criticising staff friendliness and can't help but think they must have been at a different resort to us. Everyone was friendly and helpful....we didn't want for anything. Sonya in the piano bar was exceptional. Misty in the restaurant was terrific. Kerry in the concierge was fantastic.... as was Brent in the bar. I wish I'd taken note of the many other members of staff that were outstanding too, including housekeeping (they were quiet, but if you engaged them in conversation they would happily talk for Tobago and give you mountains of information and have plenty of laughs with you). The management could be seen around the hotel everyday talking to guests and checking everything was all right.

We have no hesitation in recommending this resort and as another holiday maker said, we were treated like royalty.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

What a delight it was to read your review. Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed information about your trip and for mentioning the number of team members that made your stay more memorable. We will be sure to pass along your kind comments.

It was our pleasure to be of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Sunny wishes until we meet again,
Portsmouth
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed at the Magdalena Grand in Tobago between 22 February and 4 March 2014. On arrival this is a very impressive hotel, Set in the grounds of the Tobago Plantations Estate. On arrival the bell boys were lovely. A nice cool fruit cocktail was bought to me. However, although check in was speedy, the reception staff are rather surly. I was taken to my room (354) by a lovely, helpful, bell boy. It was a lovely large room, overlooking the ocean. Lovely large balcony, iron, ironing board, hairdryer, slippers and bathrobe. There is also a safe, plenty of drawers and hanging space. Air conditioning (mine was not very good). Large bathroom with separate shower cubicle. The room is also well placed for the pool and beach. The swimming pool area is where the buffet bar is where breakfast, lunch and dinner are served. Good variety at breakfast catering for all tastes. Lots of seating inside and out. Lunch was usually BBQ chicken and burgers with a large selection of salads, and fresh fruit for dessert. Lovely views across pool and beach. The beachside grill is also very good for lunch and service here is a bit friendlier than the buffet. However, the hotel became busy towards the end of my first 7 days and I waited almost an hour for a cheese sandwich!! The pool area is lovely, with plenty of sunbeds. Its very clean. There is also a swim up bar here. The location of the hotel is lovely overlooking the sea, but as this is the Atlantic side it can be very windy and the sea quite choppy. There are plenty of sunbeds on the beach too. Evenings are very low key!! If you like night life this is not the place. I do not think there was any evening entertainment for the whole 10 days I stayed. Nice choice of other eating options with Kalina which was superb (you have to reserve here) and the Robinson Crusoe pub which was nice with a limited food offering. I can recommend the garlic sausage and mash though! There is also a coffee shop which serves pastries too. Also some lovely shops selling crafts and beachwear. However they are expensive. There is a free shuttle bus to Pigeon Point every day which is worth taking.

I stayed on an All Inclusive package. This was fine but I did get extremely fed up with having to sign for everything and wear an armband!!! Even beach towels had to be signed for!! Its something you always have to think about and did become an irritation for me.

Would I stay at the Magdalena again? Yes I would. But it would help if some of the staff had some more customer service training. They are either very good or very bad!!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are ocean facing
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sandie S
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed with review. It was indeed a pleasure to be of service during your visit to Tobago.

We are aware of the challenges faced when the resort is fully occupied, however we have since hired additional staff and embarked on a new training program. We are certain on your next visit you would see a noticable difference.

Nightly entertainment is avialable at the resort as follows:
Tuesday nights - Piano player at the Tavaco Lounge
Wednesday nights - Steelband / Culture dancers at the Pembois Restaurant and Terrace
Thursday nights - Piano player at the Tavaco Lounge
Friday nights - Fire Fridays at the Robinson Cruose Pub (Live entertainment)
Saturday nights - Shipwreck Saturdays at the Robinson Crusoe Pub
Sunday Brunch - Poolside entertainment
Sunday nights - Jazzy Sundays at the Tavaco Lounge

It's wonderful that you had the opportunity to get around and visit the Pigeon Point Beach on the complimentary shuttle provided. We know that being on the Atlantic side would not be suitable for everyone, but one of the major advantages are the turtles that grace our beaches to lay their eggs during the months of March - September! Hopefully you can visit us soon again as this is truly a sight to behold.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Warm wishes,
Trinidad
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Went to Magdalena for a weekend get away just to relax and got exactly what I was looking for. Must thank Lincoln Thomas for everything. He went beyond to make sure our stay was fantastic. If you want to visit Magdalena ask for this guy. He will take care of you. On reaching we were greeted by the very warm smile from Ms.Shaheeda. Check in was done within minutes. Tony the floor manager for breakfast was excellent. You must taste the omelets from Chef Kiev. I ate like 2 and still wanted more. There was a waiter, Matthew I believe is his name, he kept checking on us as well as the other guest to make sure that everything was okay. What I enjoyed most about this hotel is that I heard nothing but the waves crashing on the rocks. No cars. No phones nothing but the soothing sounds of the waves. I will be returning to Magdalena in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your reviews with us.

It was truly a delight to be of service during your vacation getaway.

We are delighted that some of our team members were able to make it such a memorable time. We are quite proud of our Magdalena family and will be sure to pass along your kind comments.

We look forward to your return in the not so distant future :)

Warm wishes,
Magdalena Grand
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!