“A wonderful, chilled holiday...”

Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful 12 day stay at the Magdalena Grand and have nothing but praise for the staff, the location, the ambience and the cocktails! We’re frequent visitors to the Caribbean, having previously stayed in 4* and 5* hotels on Barbados, Jamaica, Grenada and Antigua.

Our suite was located in the North wing of the hotel – all the rooms are comfortable walking distance to restaurants, bars etc. One of my key criteria for any hotel is that I can easily hear the sound of the sea and this requirement was more than met – the beach was less than 100 feet from our balcony! The suite was made up of a large sitting room (sofa & coffee table, dining table & 4 chairs and bathroom). The bedroom was also large with a super-kingsize bed, lots of storage (with plenty of hangers – very important) and another bathroom here. We had two balconies – one accessed from the bedroom and one from the sitting room. The latter also included a hot tub, which we loved. So all good on the accommodation front then, now for the staff.

We experienced fantastic customer service from every single member of staff we met and are totally baffled by some of the criticisms we’ve seen on earlier posts. Particular mentions go to the lovely Leon who looked after us wonderfully every lunchtime at the Salaka restaurant, to Colin for our gorgeous lunchtime cocktails and for making us smile every day with his dancing, to Sonya in the Tavaco lounge bar for always greeting us with a smile & friendly conversation and for making me a special St. Patrick’s day cocktail, to Zsa Zsa in the Robinson Crusoe bar for humourously indulging my husband’s slightly obsessive fondness for a Pina Colada (or several), to Olivia for being unfailingly smiling, polite and helpful every morning in the Pembois restaurant and finally to Aninka the Pembois hostess, for being discreetly aware of my slight mobility issues and making sure I was always seated at a table with easy access to the breakfast buffet each day. Thank you all so, so much.

The ambience at Magdalena Grand is so chilled that you have no choice but to relax and if you want to enjoy a quiet holiday then you can. If you want entertainment however, what they provide is varied and excellent, which was a bonus, because in-house entertainment programmes so often disappoint with cheesy shows & music. If you want to have a quiet drink with background piano or a ‘Buble’ type crooner, you can. If you want to listen to some funky jazz on a Sunday, you can do that too. And if you want to woop it up on a Friday night, then the band in the Robinson Crusoe bar are excellent and their music is so infectiously happy and fun, you will not be able to stay sitting down.

I was there primarily to just chill out, so the most energetic I got was some long walks on the beach and swims in the pool, but my husband gets bored just lounging by the pool or the beach, so he played four rounds of golf and enjoyed the course immensely. You can also play tennis on site if you feel motivated enough. Another facility I didn’t use was the beauty spa, just because I was so relaxed I couldn’t summon the energy to go and have a massage - which kind of says it all really…

All in all, we had a fantastic holiday and will definitely be returning.

2  Thank AMJ_7
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Guest,

It was indeed our pleasure to be of service to you and your husband during your 12-night stay! Your comments are greatly appeciated. It is always nice to hear that our team members had such an impact on you. We will be sure to pass along your kind compliments to each and every one of them.

We do hope that we would have the opportunity to welcome you soon again.

Sunny wishes from Tobago,

There are newer reviews for Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We spent 2 weeks at the Madalena just to relax and recharge batteries. Having been to a number of caribbean hotels our expectations with regard to service and food was slightly less than the 5 star suggested on the website. However, we were delighted to find a carib hotel which seems to be striving for quality service and food. All three restaurant options work well but the Salaka Grill and the Kalina (speciality restaurant) were very good. Each lunchtime the Salaka Grill, with Ava and her team, provided the very best fresh fish meals with Grouper, Mahi Mahi, Snapper or King Fish on offer. Leon was the most attentive of waiters and made us feel very special on each daily visit. The Kalina, while not having an extensive menu, served the best steak I've ever had at this type of holiday hotel and the service was imaculate. The surroundings are absolutely wonderful and the constant breeze from the ocean provides the most relaxing environment to soak up a little sunshine. The sound of the waves is just so soporific that it does lead me to one suggestion: with such a wonderfiul background sound why oh why have so much loud rap and reggae music around the bars? Trust me, middle aged white caucasians, who represent a large proportion of your customers would love the silence to enjoy what you have in abundance, a beautiful sea front ambience.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view but one on the top floor improves the view and would be closer to all the...
1  Thank Maurice T

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your reviews with us. We were delighted that you selected our resort to spend your two week vacation and that we were able to exceed your expectations.
We do hope to welcome you back to our side of paradise in the near future.
Until we meet again, sunny wishes from Tobago,

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I would start this review by stating that I chose to stay at Magdalena Grand based on the number positive reviews on tripadvisor and facebook alike, which in all, created a high expectation for me and my guest.

In terms of the cleanliness, rooms and location, I was generally satisfied. However, I had some minor issues with the housekeeping service, which did not show until 6.30pm (South Wing). Firstly, my guest and I were sitting in the balcony, when we noticed that two staff members were there for housekeeping. Apparently they did not notice us there, but I could see them interfering with personal items which were left about the room. Secondly, although towels were left on the hanger (which indicated that it would be reused), ALL towels were taken and NOT replaced by these employees. For a 4 star resort, this should not be acceptable behaviour.

Further, while there was a wide (impressive) spread for breakfast, there were not enough seating facilities for the number of guests. Long lines and no where to sit. I guess it was a bit disappointing as one would expect that a hotel of that magnitude would put measures into place for dealing with larger crowds.

Finally, check out time was 12 pm. However, at 11.30 pm sharp and in the must rude way, another staff member came knocking, only to ask what time we were planning to check out. Once again, a total let down.

To be fair, the facilities were excellent, but there should be some sort of training for customer service and hospitality.

2  Thank TriniGirl54

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your sharing your reviews with us. It is always important for us to hear from our guests so that we may improve our services.
We would like to apologize for the delayed time in which housekeeping serviced your room. Unfortunately during your visit we were operating at high occupancy and as such we may of experienced a few operational challenges with regards to timing on the said day. While you may have noticed our housekeeping staff 'interfering' with personal items, please note that items must be moved in order to facilitate effecient cleaning of the room. We are certain there were no issues with inappropriate handling of items.

During peak periods we also include additional seating at the restaurants, both indoors and outdoors. We are sorry that you were not able to find a seat during breakfast. We have passed along your comments regarding this and the other issues mentioned to our management team and we will be sure to look further into these issues.

We do hope that we would have the opportunity to be of service to you again and to provide you with the quality service that is customary at the Magdalena Grand.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Spent a weekend as part of a wedding party, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Buffet breakfast was very good and the majority of the dining room staff were nice..Front Desk girls Shaheeda and Karyse were welcoming and very helpful.Room was well appointed, bed was comfortable...Loved the breeze and the sound of the ocean pounding outside. All in all, a brief,but good experience. We will certainly return.

Room Tip: We loved being on the second story.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suedeevee

Dear Guest,

Your short but sweet comments left a smile on our faces! We appreciate you taking the time to share your reviews with us and hope to welcome you soon again.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Had a wonderful stay at the Magdalena. I highly recommend it. Beautiful setting and great food. Delicious cocktails at the Nylon swimmy uppy bar - provided by Tasia who has been fantastic. A couple of small recommendations: would be good to have bottled water in the room; guests should be able to order / eat their lunch at the pool/nylon bar. Thanks for a lovely holiday!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank VBehn

Dear Guest,

We always appreciate it when your past guests take the time to share their reviews with us! Your review may have just helped a future guest book their stay at the Magdalena Grand!

We do hope that we would have the opportunity to be of service to you soon again and to welcome you back to our side of paradise.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Nice hotel. The rooms are very nice, relatively updated rooms and nice ocean views. Some of the staff were very nice including the bell man, some of the staff that serve breakfast weren't too happy. Asking for a cup of coffee wasn't met with several unhappy faces most mornings. The pool areas were very clean, the grounds are well maintained but the signage from the main road should be updated as some signs are not easily visable. I will return to the hotel as the breakfast was good and the view very nice. I would recommend other's to visit this hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean views are very nice

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your reviews with us and the rest of the world! We always enjoy hearing from our past guests.
We look forward to your next visit with us!
Do not hesitate to let us know of your return and if there is anything we can do to make it more memorable.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Magdalena Grand has become one of my favourite vacation locations worldwide, so much so that I take my family at "least" once a year. From the warm welcome at our arrival to the "see you when you come back, we're always happy to have you." This stay I believe was the best, as my hardest chore was juggling my time between the pool (wife and daughter) and the beach/sea (son and I).

And of course the breakfast was sumptuous with the perfect mix between local and international dishes to choose from...all in all just a wonderful relaxing 4 night/5 day Caribbean stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Allan J

Dear Valued Guest,

Your review was certainly a delight to read and we are happy that we have become your number one destination to visit!
We look forward welcoming you and your family in the near future.

Magdalena Grand

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!