My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful 12 day stay at the Magdalena Grand and have nothing but praise for the staff, the location, the ambience and the cocktails! We’re frequent visitors to the Caribbean, having previously stayed in 4* and 5* hotels on Barbados, Jamaica, Grenada and Antigua.
Our suite was located in the North wing of the hotel – all the rooms are comfortable walking distance to restaurants, bars etc. One of my key criteria for any hotel is that I can easily hear the sound of the sea and this requirement was more than met – the beach was less than 100 feet from our balcony! The suite was made up of a large sitting room (sofa & coffee table, dining table & 4 chairs and bathroom). The bedroom was also large with a super-kingsize bed, lots of storage (with plenty of hangers – very important) and another bathroom here. We had two balconies – one accessed from the bedroom and one from the sitting room. The latter also included a hot tub, which we loved. So all good on the accommodation front then, now for the staff.
We experienced fantastic customer service from every single member of staff we met and are totally baffled by some of the criticisms we’ve seen on earlier posts. Particular mentions go to the lovely Leon who looked after us wonderfully every lunchtime at the Salaka restaurant, to Colin for our gorgeous lunchtime cocktails and for making us smile every day with his dancing, to Sonya in the Tavaco lounge bar for always greeting us with a smile & friendly conversation and for making me a special St. Patrick’s day cocktail, to Zsa Zsa in the Robinson Crusoe bar for humourously indulging my husband’s slightly obsessive fondness for a Pina Colada (or several), to Olivia for being unfailingly smiling, polite and helpful every morning in the Pembois restaurant and finally to Aninka the Pembois hostess, for being discreetly aware of my slight mobility issues and making sure I was always seated at a table with easy access to the breakfast buffet each day. Thank you all so, so much.
The ambience at Magdalena Grand is so chilled that you have no choice but to relax and if you want to enjoy a quiet holiday then you can. If you want entertainment however, what they provide is varied and excellent, which was a bonus, because in-house entertainment programmes so often disappoint with cheesy shows & music. If you want to have a quiet drink with background piano or a ‘Buble’ type crooner, you can. If you want to listen to some funky jazz on a Sunday, you can do that too. And if you want to woop it up on a Friday night, then the band in the Robinson Crusoe bar are excellent and their music is so infectiously happy and fun, you will not be able to stay sitting down.
I was there primarily to just chill out, so the most energetic I got was some long walks on the beach and swims in the pool, but my husband gets bored just lounging by the pool or the beach, so he played four rounds of golf and enjoyed the course immensely. You can also play tennis on site if you feel motivated enough. Another facility I didn’t use was the beauty spa, just because I was so relaxed I couldn’t summon the energy to go and have a massage - which kind of says it all really…
All in all, we had a fantastic holiday and will definitely be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands