“Offers a great holiday experience”

Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Chaguanas, Trinidad
“Offers a great holiday experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here towards the end of July 2014. Lovely property, and well maintained. There are three pools including two infinity pools, tennis courts, complimentary bicycles available. The only draw back is that the beach is not great for bathing and the hotel staff is honest enough to tell you that. However there are complimentary shuttles to Pigeon Point every day and that is a gorgeous beach. Try and get there by before 11:00 am though if you want to get one of the huts. If not you can always rent some beach chairs @TT$18.00 each and find a nice shady tree.

Breakfast offers a wide range and its nice to see they try to incorporate some of the local dishes.

Ideally I would suggest renting a vehicle as the main building and rooms are quite a distance from the highway. Also a vehicle gives you the flexibility to go the mall (less than 10 minutes away), Scarborough, the very scenic Fort George, and of course the bustling Crown Point area. In this area there is the La Cantina restaurant serving pizza baked the old fashioned way in a clay oven, and Chef's Bar B Que serving very tasty local food including soups on certain days and crab and dumpling.

A 10 minute drive will get you to the Shirvan mall which has a casino a lovely tea shop and a restaurant serving local dishes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your wonderful comments and great tips for fellow travellers!
It was a pleasure to be of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you soon again!

Sunny wishes,
Magdalena Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
Alpine, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

On August 1st, 2014, twenty-five of us arrived in Tobago for six days. Our friends and family came from Trinidad, The Cayman Islands, Canada, Texas, Boston, New York and New Jersey and descended on the Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, for my wife’s destination birthday celebration. We all had an excellent time, but upon attempting to check-in, it became obvious as to why the Magdalena Grand does not have a five star rating. We concluded our stay at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Port of Spain, Trinidad, and like my first visit to that hotel, it was another exceptional experience. (But this review is about the Magdalena Grand)

We booked and paid for our rooms since January 2014, but upon arrival in August, we were told that the ground floor suite we requested was not available. The young lady at the front desk, Delia, said that they could put us in some room, away from the rest of our party, or somewhere on the second floor. I told her that was unacceptable and requested to speak to her supervisor. She rolled her eyes and walked to the office without a word; totally unprofessional. Delia returned about four minutes later with her supervisor, Sasha Smith. Ms. Smith, the reservations supervisor, was as useless as Delia, and pretty much regurgitated the same non-sense without an attempt to rectify their error. So I requested to speak to her supervisor.

About five minutes later, in walks Mr. Stephen Calland, the director of operations. Mr. Calland, without a doubt is an asset to the Magdalena Grand Resort; he gets it, he understands customer service. Obviously this was not Stephen’s first go around in the hotel industry. He was warm, courteous, accommodating, professional and fixed the screw-up in less than five minutes. Bottom line, we were able to stay in the suite we paid for, and not some random room far away from the rest of our friends. Also, throughout our stay, Stephen was always visible. You’d see him at breakfast, making things happen, and all around the resort during the day. He’d always stop to ask how everything was going. Give Mr. Stephen Calland raise or a promotion; he deserves it!

We reserved a banquet hall for my wife’s party. The food was great and the service was excellent. The supervisor at our event was Ms. Marilyn Mellville-Crooks and boy was she outstanding, along with Floyd and the bartender (forgot his name). They were all super polite, pleasant and professional. Zero issues that night. I made sure to let Stephen know how good they were. Ms. Mellville-Crooks should be a candidate for Employee of the Month. I’d personally request her if I ever do another event there.

Everything else at the Magdalena Grand Resort was outstanding, the food, drinks, live performance at the bar, the porters, view, pools, beach etc. Some may comment that the beach by the hotel (Atlantic Ocean), is somewhat rough. Well all twenty-five of us enjoyed that beach more than pigeon point and store bay. If I want calm water I go to a pool. Trust me, it’s not as bad as it looks, waves are fun.

To the Management of the Magdalena Grand, here are some suggestions to make our experience (your guest) even more enjoyable.

1: Maintain your bicycles. Eight of us wanted to go for a ride and eight bicycles were available, but two had flats. They all had loose seat post and all needed some lube. A quarterly maintenance program won’t hurt. At home I ride a lightweight carbon fiber road bike, so I know a basic bike tune-up is not that time consuming or costly.

2: Training, training, training. The people at your front desk are the first impression we receive. You can’t have incompetent people representing your organization, rolling eyeballs like Delia did, or the “I wish I could slap you” stare Robert at the front desk gave when a friend requested a room extension. If you do train your staff and some people are not conforming, you may have to make that tough decision and let them go. In comparison, you can tell that ALL of the staff at the Hyatt Regency in Trinidad are on their “A” game; all the time.

3: Fix that alarm that goes off at odd ours in the morning and at night.

We like to travel. We are not asking for anyone to kiss our butts or anything like that, but we do expect a certain level of service. If I do not highlight those issues, they may never improve. It’s not hard to achieve.

Overall we had a great trip, and we were all sad to leave. I would definitely return and would recommend the Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort over the other hotels on the island of Tobago.

This video clip is a short summary of the fun we had.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room with a view of the ocean and close to the small pool. Also, do not leav...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Damian P
Dear Damian,

What a fantastic video!!! Thank you for sharing that with us and the rest of your comments and suggestions. Rest assured, our management team have reviewed them and have begun to take the necessary steps toward the improvements of our customer service. It is only with your feedback (as our guest) are we able to meet and exceed your expectations.

We are once again apologetic about the inconveniences regarding your originally requested room, but are happy to hear that Stephen was able to sort things out for you. Thank you for also mentioning our team members that went out of their way to ensure Paula's birthday was a memorable one.

Thank you again for choosing the Magdalena Grand for such an amazing event! Happy Birthday Paula, here's to many more!!!

Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Everyone I know that went to this hotel always say it was the best. To me everything could be better. The concierge for check in never smiled, we were given vague directions to find our room instead of being escorted. Good thing we can read and follow directions. The room itself was nice and neat. There is a shower (tiny! I couldn't stretch out one arm) and separate tub. Not even a bottle of WATER was placed in our room. The package was basic and breakfast was included but not even water??? The next morning we went for breakfast. This was the best part of our stay. The food was delicious. Nothing was lacking. I must say that some of the staff was very unfriendly, an occurrence that I experience frequently in Tobago being a local. The manager was really nice though. I guess they reserve their customer service to tourists. The rooms were kept clean and there were ample towels at the pool and such. The grounds however was ok, some of the plants were dead or dying and a bit of weeds in between. On the second day when we went for breakfast I wanted to take some fruits back to the room and I was told rather haughtily that I cannot take anything back to the room and I had to consume everything at the dining area..... their policy. Having travelled outside of the country and experienced service at the highest level only a month before I was a little disappointed. I would stay there again and hope that I can write a better review though.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrsofficer4374
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate the time you took to share your review from your last stay in January 2014. We must admit that quiet a few things have since changed, and we have undergone a great deal of training with our team members, however it should be noted that our guests are not treated any differently based on where they may come from. All our guests are important to us and are valued.

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused at the dining room, however carry-out containers are not provided in the resort, and as such, all meals must be consumed within the restaurant. This is a policy that you would find in many resorts around the world as well. Room service is available should you prefer to remain in the comfort of your room. Water is also available in any one of our 4 bar areas.

It was a pleasure to be of service to you and we do hope that we would have the opportunity to welcome you soon again.

Sunny wishes from all of us at
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful place,stayed there for my honeymoon,excellent service great hospitality,great food loved the breakfast,so much to choose from,I loved loved the sausages they served,does anyone know the name? They even had stores that you could buy little stuff,thought that was really cool,my husband and I had lots of fun and thanks a lot!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank kizzy o
Dear Kizzy,

We are thrilled that you and your husband chose the Magdalena Grand to celebrate such a special occasion. Congratulations to you both!
It was a pleasure to be of service and we look forward to celebrating many more special moments with you!

Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

This resort is so lovely... great place for a wedding. There are three pools, two of which are open 24 hours. The food at Salaka Grill is amazing (I recommend the coconut and ginger seafood soup - to die for!) and the breakfast buffet was great too. (Must have the crab & dumpling and fresh Tuna steak). The resort itself is at the end of a gated community Tobago Plantations so it feels very safe. Lots of wildlife around as well as a golf course. The weather was a bit gloomy the weekend I stayed there, but overall the hotel was fantastic. Would definitely return. It is more of a family place so it may not be the best for young couples as there are lots of kids running around.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jerseygrl2125
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your short and sweet review with us. It was a pleasure to have you here and to be of service.
If you are looking for a more quiet time, just for couples, we would suggest visiting in an off peak period. You visited during August, when many of the kids were on summer holidays. Just a few weeks late (September) and it would have been perfect for those restful couple escapes. Our reservations team would be more than happy to help you plan your next stay with us to provide you with the best suited time to visit the island.

We remain at your service.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I just came back from our family vacation and I would recommend this resort to anyone. The food is great the service was outstanding and the staff is super friendly and courteous. I would like to thank Anika the hostess she is so friendly with an outstanding personality she added the extra pleasure when we were having breakfast. The rooms are lovely the location is great I am definitely going back. If you are looking for a spot to relax and have some good food this is your place. The resort is located near crown point so you can easily access the boats to take you to reef on the tour with the glass bottom boats. The staff is very helpful and informative about the sites to see and great things to do. MY ADVICE IS JUST GO !!!!!! Wonderful!!!!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great you will have no regrets. All the rooms have great A/C and are well kept.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pchosenchild
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review and great advise - Just Go!

It was truly a pleasure to be of service to you and we look forward to hosting you soon again.

Sunny wishes,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here with my partner for four nights as a stop off on our way back to London. My partner was 5 months pregnant at the time. Didn't know what to expect before arrival but was very happy as we pulled up to the entrance. Set back from the main road it is a short cheap 10 minute drive from the airport. Check-in staff were polite and we were shown to our room swiftly.

The room was spacious, clean and had a balcony facing the sea, it was very modern in comparison to other Caribbean hotels. The bathroom is at a very good standard and the shower was refreshing after a hot Tobago day. My partner found the bed very comfortable being pregnant she had been struggling to sleep previously.

Breakfast can be a little hectic especially at busy times as there is not enough seating in the dining area. Once you finally get a table there is a good selection of hot and cold foods. My partner particularly enjoyed her freshly made omelettes from the egg station.
We never ate at the hotels main restaurant but did enjoy our fish and chicken burgers from the Robinson Crusoe Pub. On the Sunday night of our stay the Tavaco Louge had a live band playing a great selection of songs to enjoy with a drink from the bar.

The travel rep was very helpful in arranging an island tour and taxis when we wanted to venture outside of the Magdalena resort. We recommend a trip to Store Bay, Pigeon Point, Buccoo Reef, Fort King George and Argyle Waterfall. The beach at the hotel isn't the best for swimming as the water is very rough but the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service to Pigeon Point beach where the water is perfect for taking a dip.

We plan to go back to Tobago one day and will certainly stay at the Magdalena, we hope the hotel maintains its high standards!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liam V
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review for us and for fellow visitors to read. It's great that you both decided to visit with us, and even got out to explore the island.
It was a pleasure to be of service, and congratulations on the birth of your baby! We hope to have you all visit with us soon again!

Magdalena Grand
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!