“Great location, great food”
Review of Langaholt

Langaholt
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Snaefellsbaer
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights while exploring Snaefellsnes. The location is really great for going around by car, you will reach most of the spots within a 30 minutes drive.

The day starts with a nice buffet breakfast with homemade bread, cereals, jam,.... And don't miss the dinner! I don't want to bore you by simply repeating other comments, but we had on of our best there during our nearly 3 weeks on Iceland. OK - it's not pretty cheap, but it's worth the money having in mind the quality.

We got a a room at the end of the corridor, so we had a great view at the seaside. Don't forget top take a stick with you when walking down to the beach to "protect" yourself from the arctic terns - there's a load of them on the golf course. :-)

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the end of the corridor - they are clos to the sea, on one side you might even...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

We saw the ratings of other traveler and decided to give it a try. The guesthouse is nicely decorated, the rooms itself more minimalistic. They are clean with private bathrooms. But the bathrooms are small and not modern as in other guesthouese with a similar price niveau. The food offered for dinner is really good. We ordered a 3 course dinner previous to our arrival via Islandicfarmholidays, but finally I feel it would be better to order a la carte (it was around 49 Euros per Person). Nevertheless it was delicious and that counts :-)

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank vincenz
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We had the same experience as the reviewer below. Stayed at Budir four nights, had dinner there our first night, it was fine, pricey, not spectacular. Met a couple (locals) who recommended Langaholt and we went the next night. Very casual and laid back. Sat outside at a funky table with a glass of wine until they opened at 7 and were very surprised at the quality of the meal. It was excellent. It's like a little country dining room. We were told it is the project of three former chefs from Budir, all of them talented and one the others referred to as "the genius." There is inspiration in the food. We ended up eating there three times, including one night when we spent the day driving in the fjiords and arrived at 9:15. They were no longer serving dinner, but the server offered us a bowl of fish soup - DELICIOUS - and we were happy. It's about a 10-12 minute drive on the main road from Hotel Budir. Do it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UpgradeQueen
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I loved the ambience and comforts of Langaholt. Proprietor Thorkell (“Keli”) Simonarson and his girlfriend Rúna Björg Magnúsdóttir have created a warm, welcoming, funky and completely absorbing guesthouse on a converted farm. Keli’s father brings in fresh trout and char from a nearby lake and his mother fillets them and serves them immediately for breakfast or dinner(I have a video of her filleting technique on my website. It's a must watch!). Their artist friend Thordis Claessen has adorned their walls with some very unusual images reflecting local mythology. Langaholt also has a small golf course located right on their oceanfront property, which I did not try out. They are near to lots of good photographic locations. I have more on them in my blog: http://blog.lesterpickerphoto.com/2012/05/20/iceland-lodging/

Room Tip: I only stayed in one room, but a colleague stayed in another and we had similar experiences. I think...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank LesPicker
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Iceland has been on my bucket list for years. I caught a great sale on Icelandair and, rather hurriedly, arranged accommodations through Icelandic Farm Holidays (www.farmholidays.is -- highly recommended!) Langaholt was my first stop. Having seen nothing but breathtaking natural beauty and human tidiness all day, I was appalled to see the clutter outside the entrance to this bunkhouse-style, edge-of-shabby property. (broken furniture, rusting golf clubs scattered about, etc.). Shortly I was greeted by the ebullient owner--who, incidentally, always dresses in his Tom Waits-like costume. With some trepidation, I followed him through a dimly-lit bar-buffet space and down a long hall to my assigned room--and breathed a great sigh of relief! It was small but sufficient, bright, simple, and immaculate, with a lovely view of the neighbor's pastures and barn, the sea, and the glacier in the distance. All of the rooms have splendid views, in fact. Kelly, the eccentric proprietor, asked whether I'd like dinner--fresh fish and local produce--and about my breakfast preferences. Needless to say, my apprehensions began to melt away, and were completely gone by dinner time. Kelly is a phenomenal cook, and he takes great care to serve the freshest fish available. He also turned out to be a great conversationalist, wryly humorous, thoroughly versed in and proud of the region, Icelandic culture and its Viking heritage, and eager to share as much or as little of his opinions and personal story as one invites. I stayed two days and was extremely well fed at both breakfast (included in the booking) and dinner. (Try the fixed price dinner; perhaps a little expensive but worth it.) It was a perfect place to come home to after a day of exploring the magnificent Snaefellsnes. Save time to walk around the sea-side golf course, converted from former sheep pastures, or play a round. Relish the sunsets. I am so eager to return, and to chat up with Kelly! The cover of this book may be a bit shabby, but the story is delightful.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the glacier.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank mbj2
Reviewed 2 September 2011

The exterior may appear slightly worn, but rooms were neat and clean. The walls were thin, but the guests were quiet so it was a fine sleep. My room was tiny, but you're not hosting a party, right?

I had the breakfast, which was a typical affair and a good value compared to similar I had in Iceland.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank thomas b
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We were staying nearby at the Hotel Budir and were disappointed w/ our dinner.

A local recommended Langaholt. It was a pleasant experience and relatively inexpensive. Very friendly and fast staff. Excellent fish soup.

Not fancy but clean and cozy.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank JoeHouston52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snaefellsbaer
Hotel Budir
#1 of 3 in Stykkisholmur
Fosshotel Stykkisholmur
Fosshotel Stykkisholmur
#2 of 3 in Stykkisholmur

Been to Langaholt? Share your experiences!