“Clean and modern”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Snaefellsbaer
Gistiheimilid Virkid
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

This place was very nice, modern, clean and very quiet, as we were the only ones here.
We had to check in downstairs at the supermarket...which was a bit weird, but it's all part of the same building, and the owner was working in the shop..
We were told there was no restaurant that evening, and nowhere in the town to eat, we would have to drive 2/3 kilometres up the road to the nearest hotel.. In which the food was ok...
Breakfast was the usual, bread, cheese, ham set up, so nothing really to get excited about... No one was there, apart from some man walking about who we didn't know, or were introduced to...
All in all nice room, quiet and a pleasant one night stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Phil M

Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

This guesthouse was booked as part of our tour around iceland. When we arrived our first impression of the outside of the building was a bit mixed, but don't be fooled! The rooms are spotless clean and nice. The breakfast is fantastic, with fresh bread and fish and so on. The owners are helpful in pointing you to a restaurant when theirs is closed for the winter. Definitely recommend whene you're looking for a place to stay in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Ralph L
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Guest check in was in the grocery, which is run by one of the owners of the guest house. This place is more like a hotel. Everything inside has been remodeled. View from our room was fantastic! Probably the best breakfast buffet of all places we stayed. Homemade bread, and lots of other goodies. Also-if you get a chance, go to the restaurant recommended by Virkid owners. Kaffi Sik. Had the best halibut dinner and homemade apple pie like no other.

Room Tip: I don't think there would be any bad rooms. There is also a bar, and was supposed to be opening...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Silver1953Atlanta_GA
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I agree with others in that first glance is a little off-putting. The exterior is rather strange because of the retail space on the ground level. Upon meeting Christine and seeing the room my concern dissipated. Christine is warm, aims to please and is a fabulous baker (probably cook too!). I was traveling with my mom and she also was pleasantly surprised. The rooms seem recently updated with small but efficient bathrooms, also fresh. The place is spotless and the breakfast - excellent! Christine makes bread from scratch and delicious tuna salad as well as other high quality items. The town is tiny, most likely not one you will spend much time in but if you are in the area I don't think you will be disappointed! If I ever get there again I would eat dinner in the restaurant...like us you may not spend time in the town but if you stay overnight I don't think you will be disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DSD2222
Reviewed 17 June 2012

First off, watch out for the Arctic Terns, that is unless you want another hole in your head.

Other than that, this is a great place to stay in Rif.

Pulling up I thought it was going the a run of the mill guesthouse, but walking up the stairs, I started to suspect this place was a little fancier than I was expecting.

I was right. The outside is pretty standard, but each of the rooms are as modern as anything I've stayed in.

Add free internet, and a great breakfast and I was a happy camper.

I'd recommend.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cclemens31
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We arrived late afternoon after a couple days of heavy snow (and after a scary icy drive across snaefellsnesvegus!). It was a blessing that we finally arrived safely and had a nice dinner in Gilid restaurant at Olafsvik, which Erla suggested us.
As in previous reviews, this guesthouse has only 7 rooms with a great location right by the main road. They also own the grocery store on 1F and the dining room is on 3F. Didn't get a chance to look at other rooms... We were the only 2 guests that night and were assigned in #7 at the corner with 2 sides of the window. This room also has its own bathroom with shower, wooden floor, and a simple desk with chair. We had a really nice quiet stay. The queen mattress is so comfortable that we even tried to look for its brand!!
We booked it originally because of the Christmas buffet dinner on the date we stayed. They rescheduled it to the next day and apologized to us a couple of days before. It's a pity we only stayed for 1 night without having the chance to taste it.
The next morning when we were leaving, our brake was frozen because my husband parked the car with the hand brake pulled!! Luckily we were still right in front of the guesthouse and call them for help. Erla and her family immediately called a friend for help, though the friend was not in town. Then Erla's dad used his bare hands to scoop out all the ice stuck around the tires and tried to drive several rounds in the parking lot. A guy from the fish dock saw us and came to help. I thought we probably would have to stay for another night and speed up to catch the flight the next day!! After an hour and half, of their help, we were finally able to be on the road!!
We really appreciate their help! I'd definitely recommend the guesthouse and would personally stay there again!

Room Tip: The 2 rooms (#6 and #7, if I remember correctly) are at the corner, away from the stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sleepywy
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Located in Rif on the north side of the Snaefellsnes Peninsula, this guesthouse has only 7 rooms. The location is not exactly scenic, being close to a commercial fishing dock. The room was small, but had comfortable beds. The bathroom was tiny! No hairdrier - most of the BBs in Iceland did not have hair driers, so take your own. Also there was no TV, which was fine. Dinner was decent, fish with sauce, potatoes, and salad. The breakfast was good - delicious freshly baked bread, fresh fruit (a luxury in Iceland) and assortment of meats and cheeses, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, cereal, and skyr (yum). The proprietor was friendly and engaging. The dining room was on the 3rd floor and nicely done. The place was a little hard to figure out how to check in - it did not have a front desk. When we left we couldn't find anyone to check us out, so we just left the key in the bedroom and left.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Vegas_Desert_Rat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snaefellsbaer
Hotel Budir
2 mi away
Hotel Hellissandur
Hotel Hellissandur
#1 of 2 in Hellissandur

Been to Gistiheimilid Virkid? Share your experiences!