If you read this you are probably considering staying at this hotel;
I recommend it and advise you to insist to get a room that is pictured on the website.
Before sharing all what was good I will start with the downside of the hotel.
I usually take ample time to chose my holiday resort. In particular I cross-check info, pictures, travellers' and friends' feedbacks.
Having found Hotel Lacona first on the web I sticked to my set of rules, including calling the hotel and asking if I could have a picture of my room prior to booking. The answer was clear: all our room types are on the web.
What you must know is that not all rooms have been refurbished yet (summer 2011) to the new standards as displayed from the pictures on the website.
I had booked a "classic family room" and when we checked in (room 102) all my dreams evaporated. Furniture was old (pine wood panes), the room was dark, on the ground floor and the view was on the hedge not really on the park.
Furthermore you could not open wide the door to the parents' room as the bed would prevent it. Contortions would then be required to access your wardrobe.
The children's room was clumsy with one bed directly under the window.
I could not imagine spending 2 weeks in that room and asked to talk to the manager.
Fortunately we could opt for a "Comfort Family" room that was to be available some 3 days later. The manager remained friendly during the whole process and commercially positive as he took off part of the extra price and found us a junior suite for the 3 days interval.
I was really disappointed that the website is not a true mirror of what you may/will get and firmly claim that prices should not be the same for these old rooms than for the new ones.
I sincerely hope that they will either adjust the rooms or the prices.
If we had not managed to find a suitable solution I would have left the hotel.
Having this settled, the rest was just perfect.
1) Food: excellent with astounding choices and variety. The buffet is irresistible. Antipasti, meat, fish, pasta, salads, fruits and deserts all in impressive execution and freshness.
2) Service: always friendly and smiling, even at the busiest moments of the day.
Kids always receive a sign of attention or a treat.
3) Swimming pool : perfectly clean and ample space between chairs.
4) Parc and surroundings : very comfortable, under refreshing pine trees you can sit, have coffee, use your laptop in the park with wifi access. Flowers and hedges do give a nice touch.
5) children playground : kids loved it
6) Mini Club. They really take care of the kids in a nice way. During the day children find a variety of activities and children really influence what these activities will be; no fixed program. At night they really entertain children and keep them dancing and laughing. Our children managed to learn some words and songs in italian.
7) Access to the beach : really close and easy. There you are welcome to use the public or private part. The private part is a guarantee of cleanliness and comfort with a lifeguard watching.
8) Entertainment: there is often live music around the pool at night. Enjoyable however does not allow you to have a conversation at the same time.
9) Quietness: in general ok. If your room is facing the pool and you wish to go to bed early the musical entertainment will not be ideal. If your room is facing the park then quietness is nearly granted.
10) Cleanliness: rooms always cleaned perfectly, fast and to the last detail.
Special mention : if you enjoy a glass of wine with your dinner you will find at the restaurant a fantastic person (I will not disclose his name as he would not like it) who will take the time to advise you and give you the best choice for your taste. Apart from that he is such great character. Hope you'll be lucky and discover him.
Suggestion: I would have appreciated to find some tables in the open, not just inside the restaurant. For me eating on a terrace, outside, is part of what makes me fell on holiday.
To summarize we had a great family holiday. Our 2 children (7y - 5y) enjoyed it. It is a resort that I would recommend to families. Make sure you have the right room and the rest will follow.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel & Resort Lacona is only 100 meters far from the sea and is surrounded by a big park leading to the beach of Lacona. 90 comfortable and nicely equipped rooms, most of them recently refurbished. The buffet restaurant offers a wide selection of traditional Tuscan dishes but also international ones. Two tennis courts, a big swimming pool and the private parking give the chance to enjoy a holiday in total relax. Free wi-fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Uappala Hotel Lacona reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Uappala Hotel Lacona Elba Island