“fantastic vacations”

Golden Sun Hotel
athens
“fantastic vacations”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We visited the beautiful island of Naxos, the last week of July, for 5 days. We fixed our accommodation 3 weeks before at Golden sun hotel. All of us were totally pleased. Our room had a magnificent sea view, was very clean, every day the sheets and towels were replaced from new ones. We ate several times at the restaurant nearby the pool, and the treatment was excellent, combining delicious greek food. Especially the owner was very help full,friendly and kind with us. He was willingness to get us downtown with his car several times. The Agios prokopios beach was one of the best beaches we have ever seen. We totally recommend this hotel, and hoping to come back soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Athens, Attiki, Greece
Reviewed 5 September 2012

had a very nice time in naxos,much having to do with the room we stayed in!the whole complex is very well-kept,its location giving a great view to the sea.clean,spacious room,with a nice balcony ,decorated in very nice colours.breakfast was made with traditional products and the people working there were very willing to cater for everyone's tastes,even past breakfast time(something we hadn't met in any other hotel before!).we were lucky to attend a live music night,listening to traditional music and watching locals dance on well-known songs,while tasting delicious local dishes.
both the manager and the staff were very helpful and always pleased to answer our questions.
i would definitely recommend this establishment for anyone who is interested in visiting the island.you will enjoy your stay!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
athens
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Newly built, comfortable rooms, big bathrooms, polite people, magnificetn view, clean swimming pool, fresh products at breakfast, helpful stuff. Especially impressed by the fact that they change towels every day and sheets every second day. We got exactly what we were promised. All these compose an ideal choice for summer vacation. We 'll sure come back!!

Piraeus, Greece
Reviewed 1 September 2012

As a person with roots on this island, I believe I am entitled to be demanding as to the standards and quality of an establishment I choose to stay while on holidays...Moreover, as an international traveler (legal interpreter and lawyer) I have spent enough stays at hotels around the globe to have developed some quite high criteria as to what I want from accommodation facilities. GOLDEN SUN is a wonderful establishment, well worth of its classification and definitely a hotel I would recommend to anyone - be it a single tourist or a family - wishing to make the most of the delightful island of Naxos. Its correct proximity to the closest, quite popular beach of Ag. Prokopios (a mere 5 m. drive or some 20 mins. of walk), the views on the capital town and marine horizon beyond (fantastic!) compete with the beauty of the area within the facility. Tasteful, delightfully unpretentious studios and rooms featuring all kinds of amenities, from air-conditioning and top-class mattresses to a fridge, a cooking surface and utensils, verandas with good furniture are only some of the so many pros I can think of as I scribble this opinion in a hurry! Cleanliness is impeccable! Idling around or puddling in the pool, simply irresistible. Quite important: the establishment offers complimentary transfer from and to the harbor of Naxos.Moreover, people at the Reception may easily arrange for car rental at competitive prices. With Naxos town so near yer conveniently afar for one to stay away from the crowd anytime one wished, GOLDEN SUN is the right choice for me! The staff is genuinely open-heart and welcoming, I wish to make a special mention of the owner and his wife who have gone out of their way so many times to make my stay memorable. This young couple deserves a praise: in times of hardship as the one Greece is going through, they have the willpower and perseverance to run this wonderful hotel! I am definitely going to recommend the place to everyone I know!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank George F
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Ideal for families.
There is a play ground by the pool for the kids.
The place is really beautiful, with stone walls and grass, not far away from Naxos or Ag.Prokopios, Plaka, etc.
The personnel was friendly and the rooms are cleaned every day. Every day there were new towels also!

1 Thank george_as
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I write this comment although I did not manage to stay in this hotel. Actually, this summer I booked a room at this hotel for 6 nights.
However, when I arrived (at noon) the first bad impression was from the room right next to the reception which was still not clean because of breakfast and I did not like the room when I saw it. It was next to the swimming pool – I was not told so – it was rather dark and the promised view to the sea was what was something I could see above the barbeque chimney.
I asked for another room, but there was no availability, so I left and looked for another room in the island. In the afternoon I went back to Golden Sun to cancel my booking and I experienced a very bad attitude from the boss. He was very offensive, did not bother to ask for the reason of my cancellation and the only thing he wanted was to charge me for the 50% of the rest of my stay (although I would not use the room) based on a rule from the Greek hotel owners regulation which I was never informed off before. He kept saying very impolitely that with customers like me (cancelling their bookings) he would close his hotel without understanding that the problem was his hotel’s offer (I do n’t say that other rooms of the hotel may be brighter and cleaner, but not the one I was offered) and that I was not having fun spending half of my first vacation day looking for another room. Although I finally paid what he asked from me (after asking the local tourist police), his attitude did not change at all.
The hotel is well situated, but the management’s attitude is absolutely inadequate for running a hotel.
PS: I paid what management asked from me, but I am also sending a formal complaint to the Greek Tourism Organization for having to pay a penalty according to a regulation the hotel never noticed me of.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank spa68
Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We booked this hotel in early July 2012 based on the good reviews I read at the Trip Advisor website. What a mistake!

The hotel and especially the service we received was seriously sub-standard.

The rooms are very basic, and even though clean on the most part (we were 3 families and we booked 3 rooms. One family found a cockroach in their room...the rest of the rooms were bug free) they looked as if the hotel owner painted them himself and in general they looked as if they needed some TLC.

The beds were absolutely horrible. The matresses were cheap and hard as a rock. Impossible to sleep on. The rest of the room was pretty basic, and it did offer a small fridge and a stove (which we didn't use). The room we were in had a nice balcony and view.

The pool area was pretty nice and clean. The swimming pool was of decent size. Not very big as some other posts suggest but decent size for a 3 star hotel. The grass area around the property was poorly taken care of. The hotel is also far away from everything and not close to any bus stops (the owner told us that the hotel is only 300 meters from the beach of Agios Prokopios. This was more like 3 kms to Agios Prokopios...)

The biggest problem we had was the lack of service and the bad quality of the food. The main problem is that this is a family run hotel and the husband and wife are doing (or at least trying to do...) everything so that they won't need to hire any staff. This creates a chaotic situation at times and it's the main reason that this hotel is failing in so many ways.

Also, the hotel owners (to their admission) are not trained in the hospitality industry (the hotel owner told us that he used to be a truck driver or something before he built the hotel).

In my mind this is the main reason of the sub-standard service. It's not that they don't want to serve their customers better, it's that they're not trained to run a hotel properly.

Some examples:
We were 3 couples with 5 young kids amongst us (ages 5-10). We arrived at the hotel in early afternoon and after spending a couple of hours at the swimming pool the kids got hungry and wanted to eat something. To our surprise we couldn't find anyone around in the bar, restaurant or hotel lobby area to help us out. After looking around everywhere we managed to find the mother of the hotel owner sitting in the bar area. She told us that her son (the hotel owner) was taking a nap and she couldn't wake him up (!) and his wife was out for the afternoon so we had to wait until she's back (!!!).

To make a long story short, the wife returned 2 hours later and there was no food available (even though we had paid for half board service!). She had to scramble to find some left overs and cook something for us (which was inedible...some of us refused to eat it even though the hotel owner made us pay for it...).

Following this mishap we hoped that things would improve the next day. We were wrong...
My brother ordered a club sandwich for the kids the next afternoon which looked "suspicious". The meat in the sandwich was really soft and the cheese had a bad smell. In any case, the kids ate a piece or two and left the rest. Later in the day all of them were throwing up...I can't say for sure if it was the sandwitch, but given the circumstances I wouldn't be surprised if this was the culprit. Suffice to say that this was the last straw. We packed up and left the hotel the very next morning.

We ended up staying at Naxos for 8 more days at the Aegean Palace hotel at the Plaka beach which I can definitely recommend.

If you're planning to stay in Naxos stay away from the Golden Sun. Don't get fooled by the nice picture of the swimming pool, the good reviews on this site (which I question if they're all real...) and the relatively low prices.

7 Thank pani0202
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stelida
Liana Hotel
#1 of 1 in Apollon
Lagos Mare
Lagos Mare
#7 of 21 in Agios Prokopios

Been to Golden Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!