“Great pension in Katapola”
Review of Amorgos Studios

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Katapola
Amorgos Studios
Ranked #10 of 13 Katapola B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Great pension located on the waterfront in Katapola very clean and run by a very friendly family. Double glazing keeps all the noise out and rooms are compact but lovely. Highly recommended and you cant beat the location on the charming Katapola waterfront. The same family run the gorgeous Emprostadia Guest House in Chora. Thanks for a lovely stay we will be back
Penny and Alex

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank WinstonLola

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The rooms are spotlessly clean and the decoration is excellent. We stayed on the room on the top floor , which has a magnificent view on the harbour. The terrace overlooking the harbour is shared with the room on the same floor , but this was no problem for us. The location of the hotel , in Katapola is very hard to beat.

Room Tip: Try renting the top floor appartment, which has a magnificent view of the harbour
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed here last spring and again this year, both for 10 days each. Maria, the owner, is a lovely woman, always willing to be of service. Both years I've stayed in room 101, and the renovations they made this past year are great. The location, right in the center of all the village activity, couldn't be better -- if I wanted, I could just sit on my balcony and watch everything going on, and when I'm ready to go out to get something to drink or eat, everything is very centrally located. The lady who did the cleaning was always very friendly, did my laundry twice during the trip this year, and got everything back to me later the same day.

To those who complain about the small size of the rooms -- I've been traveling all over Greece since 1972, and this is typical of small properties in the Greek islands.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Debbie W
Reviewed 10 May 2013

If you are looking for a cozy pension on a spitting distance from your terrace to the harbour yachts, this is the place. A nice lady are running the place in Katapola. Something negative? Some rooms got too small shower area in the bathroom but away from that, a great place!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roland B
Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

we (2people) stayed for four nights and enjoyed our first time in Amorgos in this cool pension. the location at the port is perfect and we got offered three different rooms for choice. not to forget: very good price!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I've been staying in Pension Amorgos every year from 2000. I love this place and I think I have stayed practically in every room, with boyfriend, Mother and friends.

What I enjoy the best is the cleanliness of the place that is of a top standard, it cannot be found easily on the cycladic islands. Very clean sheets and towels and the bathroom is just very very clean - spotless. The mattresses and pillows are of excellent quality that cannot be found in other 'rooms to let'. I would say that the service here is of a hotel standard - without the hotel price.

Kiria Maria (Mrs Maria) the owner and manager of the place is a great lady who loves her hotel and her guests. She's an endearing lady, worth having a chat with, if you are interested to get to know the culture of this unique island.

I like the traditional furniture in the rooms, without it being folklore - everything is spotless, replaced after each guest. There's everything you need in the room from fridge to cutlery. It's very romantic and I've spent lovely nights with my boyfriend there. Ok I love the place and I hope you will too.

I do not understand the comments about the noise, as this is the port of this island; what do you expect?… The hotel has double glazing and air-conditioning, so if you want to sleep it's very easy. Speaking for my self, I enjoy watching the hassle and bassle of the port. I enjoy the location because all amenities are easily accessible. Nearby there's a cafe open 24 hours with free internet, two souvlakia places for hunger driven outskirts after the sea, for lunch or dinner. And everything else you would expect in a greek island, tavernas, print and computer shop, cafes and bars, bookshop with international press, etc. Katapola offers everything - but yes one ATM machine, why do we need another.

Amorgos is a very beautiful island, offering an elemental experience - it's worth visiting!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sophia D
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed at Katapola 6 nights. Unfortunately we left it rather late and couldn't book our first choice so we ended up at Pension "Amorgos". The rooms are renovated and there will be ongoing renovation in the winter. There was no problem with noise whatsoever. The owner is rather helpful and quick to give information and ask for problems with the rooms in an attempt to solve them, however there are problems that make the establishment bad value for money.

There is no internet connection this season though so advertised. According to the owner this will be fixed in the winter renovations. One had access to the wireless network of cafe "Teleion" on the ground floor of the building but no signal in the rooms!
(Note: There is a free wifi network from the town hall but it is painstakingly slow and one could get online in the morning until 9-10 before the island woke up)

We stayed on the 3rd floor in one of the two rooms that have use of the big terrace choosing to pay the extra 10€ requested. That was supposed to be a positive but it turned out to be no privacy at all. You share the terrace with another couple and some guests had the idea to call some friends over for breakfast...but what was even more irritating was that on the terrace is situated also the maid's room with a bed and the washing machines which meant that she went up and down all day.
When coming out to the terrace the broad side of it faces the roofs of the buildings next to the pension and only to the far right can one have a view of the harbor which more often than not was blocked by towels and sheets hanging out to dry by the maid living up there as said before!

Getting to the room the air conditioning seemed to have its own will and despite adjusted to the same temperature one might have warm air in the morning and freezing cold in the afternoon and the room temperature fluctuated accordingly.

The room was rather cramped and the bathroom even more so. There was just one place to stand in the bathroom either to wash your teeth facing front, pee facing left and go in and out of the shower diagonally. No shower curtain and a big mess every time you manage to shower. And I say that because of...

the low water pressure. Oftentimes one had to endure temperature changes (from freezing cold to scalding hot) of the water depending on how many guests in other rooms were showering at the same time but on 3 separate days we had almost no water at all and waited with shampoo for the water to come back. The response we got after complaining was that it was because of the washing machine on the terrace and when the maid turned it off the flow came back but only for 1 minute...I guess the other guests showering at the same time didn't help either! One should time the shower, optimally before 6 if one wants good water flow.

And lastly at departure time I was shocked to find out that they don't accept cards in a town with only one (1) ATM serving many foreign tourists who are used to using credit/debit cards for large sums of money at least.

If I chose to stay in Amorgos studios again I would choose a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the harbor with a private balcony and 10€ cheaper, but the water flow problems, cramped rooms and general quality of accommodation would still make me look elsewhere for a better establishment at the same price range. Personally I was prepared to pay more money for something much better but...

generally speaking the level of accommodation in Amorgos is mediocre. There are certainly better places than Amorgos studios in Katapola though. The same owner runs Emprostiada in Chora and that seems to be a far superior establishment.

Room Tip: 2nd floor with view of the harbor are the best rooms in my opinion.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fmask
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katapola
Hotel Minoa
#13 of 13 in Katapola
Aegean Hotel of Amorgos
Aegean Hotel of Amorgos
#11 of 13 in Katapola

Been to Amorgos Studios? Share your experiences!