“Best Holiday Ever”

TUI MAGIC LIFE Penelope Beach
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Houmt Souk
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Firstly let me say that people should not pay any attention to the bad reviews that other people put. I read most of these before going and I couldnt understand for one minute what anyone would have to complain about. Arrival made special, cases in your room within minutes, everywhere so unbelievably clean and the hotel staff worked tirelessly to ensure that everyone had a fantastic time. Food was lovely with different themed nights every night, great choice for all. Bar staff great and certainly know how to make a mean cocktail.
Entertainment was excellent and the entertainment team do a great job, always a smile and my family and I had such a good time with them. A special mention to Hannah who is lovely and all the kids loved her (hi ho) to hannah, thank you for making Jacks birthday so special. Rooms clean and everyday we had clean towels and freshly made beds. Didnt try the restaurants as the Magico restaurant was superb.
We spent most of our holiday down the Aqua Park and my son loved it, beach was lovely and clean and there was always plenty to do.
My son had his 7th Birthday whilst we were there and they couldnt have made it any more special if they tried. The kids club threw him a birthday birthday with a big chocolate cake and later in the restaurant they made him another cake, decorated the table and everyone sang happy birthday, he felt like a superstar.
Wes the rep was very helpful and always had a smile.
The only thing i would say is be very wary booking the camel ride, this was the one thing that my son wanted to do on his birthday and it was horrendous, dirty badly treat camels and it was advertised as going through the sand dunes along the beach etc but the only thing we saw was dirty backstreets my son was so upset but it certainly was nothing to do with the hotel and it did not stop us from enjoying our holiday.
We would certainly recommend this to anyone wanting a fantastic family holiday and it was definately money well spent.

Room Tip: be wary of the camel trip and definatley go to midoun market and town its fab
1  Thank Sexy-Pud
There are newer reviews for TUI MAGIC LIFE Penelope Beach

Reviewed 4 October 2011

This was our first Magic Life experience and what a great one to start with. The resort was clean, fresh and welcoming. The staff were friendly and hardworking. The quantity and quality of food was outstanding - nothing was too much trouble and being a vegetarian my needs were catered for with no fuss. We had a standard room which was adequate for our needs. The waiting and bar staff were so warm and friendly and got to know your likes and dislikes very quickly and went out of their way to accomodate. The shows and entertainment were of a very high standard and catered for all tastes and ages. The highlight of our holiday was being looked after by a fantastic group of young people (entertainment team) who kept us on the go the whole of the holiday with their games and activities. Our favourites - Hichem (Teenie Club), Nazar, Adel, Momo, Daniel. Nikolay and Carina. However, must not forget Hanna and Jennifer who always had a smile and a greeting. The beach was great and surpassed our expectation. Overall, we had a fabulous holiday and would not hesitate to go back or to recommend to other holiday makers. All the staff (from gardeners & cleaners to waiters & barmen) work so hard to make your stay such a pleasure and do so with a smile and a good word. To them all - shukran.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank suziewong19
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Just back from a week at Penelope Beach Imperial, ( 22-29 september) we had a fantastic time. upgraded to a bungalow room ended up with 2 bathrooms, 2 balconys, sofa and chairs. check in was quick and easy, all the staff were lovely although some may seem a little grumpy thats just there way.
Everywhere was very clean and tidy with some of the cleaning staff working up to midnight. Food was excellent with plenty of choice, the main resturant has a different theme every night, we ate at the 3 a la carte resturants and each had great food.
The shows were all fantastic and the entertainment team worked really, really hard they would mingle and dance with the guests after the shows.

Although tipping was not necessary it was always greatfully recieved. Wesley the rep was brill, nothing was to much trouble, he really looks out for his guests!

We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Bungalow rooms are in a quieter area.
2  Thank GosportDon
Reviewed 3 October 2011

This is our 3rd Magic Life experience. (We had previously stayed in Sharm El Sheik and Hammamet) This was booked as a 'gift' for my daughter who became 40 during our stay. Her husband and 13 year old son also came. We are seasoned travellers (4th holiday this year) and do a variety of things from cruising to flydrives and enjoy our home comforts. I fail to understand how anyone could write the negative reviews that I have just read on Trip advisor and would be hard pushed to make a negative comment myself! Okay, Djerba and most of Tunisia is not the most beautiful place in the world to visit and the Tunisian people can be pushy and annoying when trying to flog you things. It's best to avoid eye contact.

But the Magic Life staff (from the cleaners to the entertainment and management teams) work tirelessly to ensure you enjoy yourselves. Everything is kept spotlessly clean and the food is amazing in both presentation and quality. Everyone is really friendly. Nothing is too much trouble for them. I wanted to buy some flowers for my daughter's birthday and this was sorted by the hotel services manager,I gave her the money and she went to the shop and bought them for me. These were then presented to my daughter in the Thai restaurant along with a birthday cake. She also received a little gift in her room. How lovely!

As mentioned by others, Wesley the Thompson's rep is a treasure and did all he could to advise and help. We had 1 serious problem in our room. We had an awful stench intermittently coming through the air conditioning. Once reported we were promptly upgraded to a bungalow which was really nice.

Considering the price we paid for our 2 week break (£725pp) this holiday was amazing value for money. Well done to everyone at the Magic Life resort for making our stay so enjoyable.

3  Thank SusanWestCountry
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We just got back from a week in this hotel. My partner and I travelled with our 2yr old son and had a very pleasant and relaxing break. The arrival check-in and getting to the room was all very quick and we had our luggage swiftly delivered to our room. Rather German/ French orientated hotel but that was not a problem at all.
ROOM: The room was a standard room and was halfway between beach and the main hotel area on the right hand side - quiet enough for us not to be disturbed by entertainment. The room had a super kingsize bed and we still had plenty of room for a cot to be put in the room for our son which worked really well. The view was of the neighbouring hotel and not attractive but was not important to us.
BEACH: clean and water warm enough for swimming at end of Sept. There were countless camels and horses paraded up and down the beach and we were asked every day by everyone if we wanted a photo or ride but we politely declined and they always moved on happily. Very windy at times on the beach and really quite busy for beds close to the sea. There is a smell of the camels and horses but it's not enough to be a problem. The snack bar is good on the beach.
AQUAPARK: This was where we spent most of our time. Our little boy loved coming down the slides with us and the main pool was warm enough to play in for hours but the baby pool was fairly chilly. We never had a problem trying to get sun beds - guess this could be due to kids being back at school. The snack bar was really good here as well. Staff here were not nearly as friendly as the main and beach restaurants but still pleasant enough.
FOOD: main restaurant was great, good fresh food every night and beautifully presented - a lot of time and effort goes into the preparation and presentation. The staff were fantastic, very attentive and great with entertaining our son. No probs getting a table or a high chair at breakfast or dinner.
Overall: highly recommended and great value for money. Very clean. Lots and lots of staff, mostly friendly and do their best with English although French and German are main languages after Arabic. Good kids play area up by the main pool. Good Thomson rep called Wes who does his best to assist you. Only downside is the hotel is very popular and was fully booked the whole time we were there which meant we could not upgrade to a superior bungalow or extend our room on the day of departure which would have been really helpful as our little boy has an afternoon sleep and also we had a 3.5hr delay so bit of a nightmare that day. Hotel let us stay there until delayed flight actually arrived which was great but I believe this is a legal requirement rather than good will gesture - nevertheless helpful all the same. An excellent all-inclusive.

Room Tip: Rooms on right looking to the beach are quieter and convenient. 1st floor have bigger rooms if you h...
Reviewed 2 October 2011

This hotel, and the holiday in general, was awful and I have sent a letter of complaint to Thompson who we booked the holiday with. Avoid if you're a vegetarian as they do not cater for vegetarians at all, I had to eat bread rolls plain pasta all week. Then my boyfriend and I both got sickness and diarrhoea and then our toilet got blocked. We asked for someone to come and fix it for us, 3 hours later we were still waiting and had to unblock ourselves as best we could. Then it blocked again. Someone came to unblock it for us but left faeces, water and toilet paper all over the bathroom floor and in the bin. We took photos and have sent them to Thompson. We complained to the manager but were given nothing by way of apology, he was rude and curt toward us.
The Thompson trips are dangerous and unorganised. The car that came to pick us up had no seat belts or wing mirrors and I had to sit on my boyfriend's lap because there wasn't enough room for everyone. The quad bikes were dangerous, 3 out of 9 people had problems with them, including my boyfriend whose steering suddenly went causing him to crash into a tree. During the camel trip the camel driver was cruel to his camel, kicking it to make it kneel down, threatening it and hitting it with thin wooden planks he found on the ground to make it go faster. Working in Animal Behaviour and Welfare myself I was particularly disgusted about this. Thompson are meant to work in conjunction with Born Free to prevent this sort of thing, I will be informing Born Free. The taxi didn't come to pick us up again after the camel ride so we had to find our own way back to the hotel and got lost.
The staff at Magic Life were rude, the service was shoddy and the entire place was tacky. The reception area smelt of faeces when we first arrived. I cannot believe people thought the food at this hotel was good, it was worse than a school canteen and the setting basically the same. We tried the 3 other restaurants, having to inform them I was a veggie beforehand so they could make me something (but they still put prawns in it so I couldn't eat it!!) and one of our reservations was suddenly cancelled with no explanation or apology. Awful, awful, awful! AVOID!

8  Thank HOLLY M
Reviewed 30 September 2011

This was by far one of the best hotels i have ever been to, everything about this holiday was brilliant !
Within an hour of landing we was in our hotel checking in, it was very quick and easy, our suitcases were taken to our room within15 minutes which was very helpful.
The room was lovely, everything was very clean throughout the hotel and was always kept well maintained.
The food was amazing, the best I have ever had for an all inclusive restaurant, having a different theme of food every night gave us a great choice and we was never bored of it. We also tried the a la carte Thai and Mediterranean restaurants and both of them were brilliant!
The only small problem with our holiday was the 3 and a half hour delay (which couldn't of been helped ) it was a bit annoying waiting around however Thomson dealt very well with it and let us use all the facilities until we left and gave us some money towards food in the airport which was a kind gesture.
The staff were all very kind and always smiled and said hello, the entertainment team were lovely and always did a very good show.

1  Thank Hoppingrtw
Vincci Helios Beach
#1 of 46 in Midoun
Djerba Plaza Hotel & Spa
Radisson Blu Palace Resort & Thalasso, Djerba

Been to TUI MAGIC LIFE Penelope Beach? Share your experiences!