“Highly recommended!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Houmt Souk
London
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have just returned from a holiday staying at Club Magic Life. We had an amazing 2 weeks. From arriving we were treated very well, food is great...the main restaurant offered a great selection for all inc themed nights. There is also a snack bar at the aqua park and beach bar. Always something for the kids. There are a selection of pools from an aqua with slides to a peaceful (no kids allowed). Staff were overly helpful and the cleanliness of the hotel is faultless. U can fault the entertainment from the daytime kids clubs to evenings, they work hard to ensure u have the best time, there is also a jazz bar and quieter bar inside. We had a blast! Foam party, beach party and not forgetting the shows in the amphitheatre which are great. Will defiantly return :)

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Stephmia31

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bracknell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

This hotel is wonderful, all the staff are so friendly, the room was always clean, food average lots to choose from, breakfast abit boring. Swimming pools are very good lots of sunbeds so no trouble getting one, the entertainment crew are fab. Went last year as well and it was just as lovely this year very good for kids. Weather is fantastic nothing here you can complain over thank you for a lovely holiday magic life x x x x

Room Tip: We like rooms 1025/6 as it was a connecting room to next door for my son and grandson not much sun o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Yvonnebracknell
Wickford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife, 14 year old son and I stayed here between 23 July and 6 August 2014 and had a fantastic holiday. The food in the main restaurant is superb with something for everyone. The hotel is kept extremely clean and the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The entertainment team worked especially hard and should be complemented on the shows and entertainment they put on during the day. The hotel accommodation is spread over a large area and if there is one slight negative it would be that, depending where you are located, it can get a little noisy from one of the other hotels next door. That aside we would definitely go back.

Sleep Quality
3 Thank Waltergill544
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I may as we'll start with the positive's as there is not many to list....Check in was nice and easy, with drinks on arrival. The cases where taken to our room by staff. The rooms where clean and the resort and pools were nice. We always managed to get a bed. Deserts are nice. Entertainment staff out good effort into the shows.beach is nice.

BAD: on our first day we went back to the room to find our money had been stolen by the maid...we complained to the staff who seemed helpful at first and said we could have our money back ...however this did not happen.....I was disgusted by how we were treated. They offered money we accepted but never recieved it the manager then denied saying it!!! They offered water sports which was not near the amount of money which was I stolen....we had result in I contacting police.
Food is repetitive with no kids menues.
The air con is very very poor in the rooms, worst iv had in years. To be honest it was hard to find any where inside which was cool with air con.
The staff are miserable, moody and unhelpful if your English.
Not enough staff working on the bars and queues where a nightmare.
Stay away from markets...it was awful, all the shop staff trying to get you in shops and you cant walk along with out them on you!
Wouldn't return or recommend to anyone

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank adkuk
Whiteley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The annual family holiday poses increasingly difficult questions each year as the kids (and parents) mature. After much searching we selected Club Magic Life Penelope - Djerba Tunisia for our 14 nights all inclusive. Given the early start we ensured that we had already checked in and selected seats before travel and booked the No.1 Traveller Lounge at Gatwick as our first treat - all well worthwhile and recommended. Easy flight and taxi transfer the other end saw us to the hotel - where we had already registered online - and in our rooms well before midday, giving us the luxury of enjoying our first day of holiday by the pool.

Club Magic Life Penelope really has something for most families. Plenty of available sunbeds throughout the complex, swimming pools, water park, activities, entertainment etc. The latter is driven by an enthusiastic entertainment team who are friendly and work hard morning, noon and night - and all the spaces in between - providing pool side "crazy-funny-games" which are all "very easy". They also provided a very slick show each evening and then mixed with the guests dancing and chatting until their bed-time. The day-to-day activities include archery, football, water polo, darts, tennis etc to zumba, pilates, yoga, stretch classes and water aerobics plus much more.......and these are just around the main complex. Move down to the beach and you have another huge selection of activities including water skiing, banana boat (included) plus wind surfing, jet skis, para-gliding and even catamarans - but at additional pricings. I've probably missed stuff out - but you get the idea...plenty to do for all.

Food was largely very good from the main restaurant with a good selection of salads and hot dishes, desserts and fruit at every sitting. In addition there are 3 restaurants (Tunisian, Thai and Italian) which may be booked once each per week and only 24 hours in advance. Italian was probably our favourite of these although the Tunisian breakfast provided a feast which has us eating a very light lunch! These are all part of the all inclusive package. The beach bar apparently also did good food but we never made it there to try.......but I did once avail myself of the late snack facility (00:00 - 01:00) for a great toasted sandwich!

This leads me to what I considered to be the weak part of the set up. Drinks! Let me start by saying the range available, the measures poured and the guys serving were all very good. My issue was speed of delivery. In other all inclusive holidays there have been facilities to self serve beer, wine, soft drinks, tea and coffee. Here, apart from tea and coffee at meal times, all drinks had to be requested. This quite often led to delays at meal times waiting for drinks to arrive, not getting what had been requested or just not being able to get the attention of a waiter to ask. The pool bar at peak times (being kind) was undermanned for the numbers being served and in the evenings (by the amphi-theatre) an order for 4 mojitos saw the queue grow. I think this aspect needs a little re-thinking and would only add to what is a slick operation. It by no means spoilt the holiday but for me was a regular unnecessary irritation. Having said that, all the time we were there the Jazz Bar and the Disco Bar (late nights!) were always good and the Wunderbar (just off of the main reception) really is open 24X7.

Rooms were functional - not huge - but we had a nice king-size, hard bed and a seating area along with TV, safe and a small balcony. Given you basically just sleep there, no problems, although a spot of "funny tummy" (change of diet/climate) saw us short of loo roll on a few occasions. Too much detail - sorry - but their loo rolls must be very short as they seem to last no time at all!! Bathroom completed the room package and apart from the above, and a little juggling with the water temperature for the shower, both the room and the towels were always fresh and clean.

There are plenty of trips to be had outside of the hotel, all seemed reasonably priced, but we did not participate in any. Apparently local markets are good to visit and bartering is a must. We bought a couple of souvenirs in the shops attached to the hotel and found they too are happy to barter for the more expensive items - so always try your luck !!

Quad-bikes and buggies are also for hire. We took 4 quads out - booking with Ali (with Club Magic) within the hotel - and really enjoyed the experience. The quads were from an outside "supplier" but our taxi ride there and back was included in the price. The quads were good, helmets supplied and the ride was safe but great fun too. If we had wanted to book buggies too I am sure Ali would have been open to barter as well - so always be prepared to haggle.

Note whilst you may get quoted GBP or Euro all payments are in Tunisian Dinars. The rate was £1/TD 2.88 at the time and the hotel reception will exchange CASH ONLY. There is an ATM a short walk away (end of the road and turn right) just outside the local hospital which is easy to use. Just ensure you take the normal precautions re protecting pin etc.

So to finish with a couple of name checks. Marcello is one of the entertainment team. He is from Brazil, camps it up with a Ms Samantha routine, and is really great with everyone. Takes water aerobics, yoga, one of the main dancers in the evening productions and a big hit on the dance floor with the punters in the post show dancing. Always happy, smiling, entertaining and was even there at 08:00 the day of our departure to waive everybody off. Latifia is the Customer Service Manager. I think she must work 24X7 as she is always there, approachable, helpful and gets things done if they need to be sorted and a great member of the team. Finally Daniel, the Austrian deputy entertainment manager, who comperes/hosts, runs, commentates on all the games and much more. His unrelenting enthusiasm is infectious and it is a better place for him being there - "JAMBO, JAMBO, JAMBO - SUPER!"

Probably would not go back as there are still so many great places out there we have yet to visit, but Club Magic Life Penelope is definitely on my recommended list!!

M-A-G-I-C L-I-F-E !!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main block are apparently the quietest - room numbers starting in the 1100 series.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Roger C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Me and my family went to this hotel and loved it so much, it is such a great hotel to stay at. The food there is amazing and different food theme each day. There are also four amazing pools including a aqua park full of slides and fun.

3 Thank Kiche B
Lincolnshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is one of the best and most memorable holidays we've ever had. In the main for two good reasons. The food and the staff.

Anyway the hotel is pretty well spread out with essentially a beach half and an accommodation half bisected by a private and secure road access between several hotel complexes.
From the start things were a little different. We booked online with Thomson totally, checked in both ways online and checked into the hotel online. We stayed in the Gatwick Premier Inn the night before flying [see separate review].
Using the Thomson-Gatwick 'Bag drop' the evening before was a breeze. This meant we had a good night's sleep, a leisurely breakfast and a stroll across the road to the terminal. With just hand luggage to bother about and our boarding cards already in our sticky fingers we turned up less than an hour before the flight and practically walked through and on. Ten out of ten for that.
Arriving at Djerba, you have a superb, incredibly spacious and modern terminal. The Thomson crew waiting for us as we exited were on the ball and we were quickly on our bus. It took about half an hour to get to the hotel and as the gate slid open and we drove in, I noted the very well kept gardens along the few hundred yards of driveway to a turning area.
The hotel reception staff were all set to process us in but I had checked in online so I mentioned this to the girl on the bus. Now this is where it went a little pear shaped for a minute or so. Because we had six in our party, two rooms under two different names, we threw a spanner in their carefully oiled machine. Like I said, we'd checked in online so all I needed to do was to sign the forms, job done. The girl dragged me to the front of the queue of sweaty guests and got the bloke to sort me first. Luckily I've forgotten how to blush, but the problem was that he only gave me one keycard and of course we needed two. On discovering that the other card was in the K-Z queue I then galloped over and pushed in there to get the second keycard, apologising to the other customers of course.
The conclusion I drew from this is that they aren't quite yet geared up to people checking in online and they need to add a question for the bus escorts saying all those who checked in online stay with me, or some such, and the hotel needs to separate those papers for those who have taken the trouble to check in online and deal with them apart from the other guests.

The rooms are OK. The third bed is a settee type which is fine for youngsters but I like a decent bed. The rooms are of a decent size and there's a lockable sliding door on to a little sort of balcony thing with the usual pair of chairs, a table and a drying rail. When there's three of you there isn't an awful lot of space for clothing. There's way too much hanging space and not enough shelf space. Apart from that, the sliding doors mean there's a sort of shadow area that never sees light of day, whichever door you slide. The bathroom is a tale of two cities. On the good side, they have two dispensers for an all in one soap shower gel which is really good quality. The toilet and washbasin are modern and look the part. The bath/shower is quite retro though. Climbing into a bath to have a shower, playing with the taps to get the temperature right then lifting the little knob to get the shower head spraying and then shower screen which never sits quite right and you end up with loads of water on the floor. I've seen a lot better and getting older folks to climb in and out of baths is asking for trouble at some point as there's no strategically placed handle; wet rooms are plainly the way forward. A last point that my wife raised was that the curtains have no net behind so you need the light on all the time. Being able to draw the very good blackout curtains back and still have a bit of privacy would be an improvement. The rooms were very clean and the linen snowy white and they were kept that way throughout our stay. Ten out of ten for the room maids. There are various room types too so perhaps the others have a more modern bathroom.
BARS: There are a number of bars and eating places as with all these kind of resorts and 3 a la carte restaurants, Thai, Italian and Tunisian
So starting from the beach. This is a day bar and finishes about 18.00. Serves most drinks but not cocktails and does some snacks from lunchtime onwards. There's a really nice guy down there called Nabil who was always helpful and a good laugh. They serve glasses for drinking on the terrace and plastic cups for on the beach area and they have loads of water in small and large bottles.
Next up is a pool area with the water slides and an adjacent amphitheatre for evening entertainment. This place opens in the morning and shuts at 1.00am ish. It does a full range of drinks inc cocktails and at lunchtime a larger selection of foods, like a mini version of the main restaurant. We didn't actually eat at either the beach or the water slide area because the reality is that the main restaurant is so staggeringly good and we didn't want to short change ourselves, so we had a look and decided to go to the main.
Over the road and into the main walled complex with its security guard always at the gate, the next bar is the jazz bar who's main barman is another good guy. Unfortunately I can't read my hastily scribbled note of his name which is a pain because he got more drinks for us than anyone else. This one does the full range including the ace proper coffee maker. We spent part of most of our evenings in this bar which had themed music too as well as three wall mounted TVs and comfy chairs for when the football was on.
Across the tiled atrium-like main reception foyer is the Wunderbar [no prizes for guessing the country of origin for the name] This too sells everything and is open until at least 2.00 am, I say that because I left on one occasion at about 2 and it was still open. We didn't spend a lot of time in there as it could get really busy and because the head barman was a little impatient and condescending -and that attitude was passed down to some of his juniors. Others that worked in there were excellent a guy called Khourio or something was a master practitioner on the coffee machine another of those like you see in Starbucks. This place had a big screen deployed for the football but I have no idea whether there's even a TV in there normally.
Last is the pool bar, plainly covering the main pool area which is just beyond a splendid terrace which is accessed through and around the Wunderbar. More comprehensive than the beach bar in that it serves cocktails as well as the usual, it is another day only bar shutting around 6. The draught beer is a lager type and not bad at all. Often the Turkish and Egyptian beers are too, too gassy but this one wasn't bad at all. The spirits are all acceptable, you can't tell the difference in a gin and tonic and all the mixers are Schweppes any way. I tasted the local product which is a fig spirit called Boukha, pronounced Boooka. I took it without water or ice and found it a subtle and tasty night cap -even brought a bottle home too. The brandy is Napoleon and palatable, the Raki and Pastis are the real thing. My wife and mother in law both took to the vermouths for an evening drink and both enjoyed them.

FOOD: The main restaurant is organised in a way I haven't seen before and is just marvellous. Sometimes buffet style main restaurants can get a bit tedious and sometimes a bit crowded. But this one is different. It has an inside and an outside dining area as usual -we hate smoke so always ate inside. The inside is a very long rectangle. Go in the main entrance and you are halfway down one of the long sides. Seating to the left and seating to the right. Straight ahead to the buffet area. It runs along the entire other long side and laps around the other two shorter sides. It isn't a standard buffet where you grab a plate at one end and march down loading it until you have to stop or get a second plate. What they've done is really quite clever. There are shall we say, little islands of cuisine all the way down, maybe 6 or 7 completely independent food stations, I never counted them. At each island can be found associated food. For example if they were doing oriental stuff you'd get a particular kind of fried rice, the associated spring rolls, some sort of vegetable stir fry, a meat dish and maybe a sweet and sour with all the sauces relevant. They even plate up an example to show you what they think you should do with the food. You can of course ignore their idea and do your own thing. Anyway you can wander up and down visiting these little islands in whatever order you want. More incredible is that most of the food on display is cooked in front of you on large hot plates, as you watch, from raw ingredients you can see in front of you. There are some regulars of course like the pasta-man, more types of spaghetti and pasta than you can shake a stick at and a variety of sauces to go with them, all made fresh if you want or pre-cooked too. There's also the bakery corner on the right side which has the most amazing variety of fresh breads, pan chocolate, croissant, baguette etc all dough worked in front of you and cooked there too. There's always some form of pizza too, sometimes a calzone or just a plain meat or margherita. Most of the right hand short side is a massive selection of salad stuff. There must be 50 plus different salad items every lunch and evening and they vary too. I was really into having a salad lunch after a couple of days or I would have exploded before two weeks was up despite the massive amount of exercise I did to offset the input. We used to grab a table and, like creatures of habit, return to it each mealtime. Which is how we met Ali Khalifa our waiter for most lunches and evenings. What a nice and sincere guy who quickly learned what we all wanted and then was there with it as we arrived. He practically had a reserved sign on our table for 6, and our holiday was all the better for his laughter and attentiveness. A big thank you to him. Another guy who no doubt would have been equally adept had we chosen his area and who was also a great joker was called Ramzi. I think all the waiters we encountered in there were a cut above the average. We had a standing joke with Ali about his shirts. The restaurant 'themed' every day to a greater or lesser extent. They also re-decorated it every day too in keeping with the theme, that included the waiter's uniforms which were changed too. The management know what they're up to, this restaurant is run in a highly organised and high quality manner with attention to detail which is as good if not better than even the best places in Turkey. In my opinion there may be individual dishes that I've had in other places that could beat some of the ones here, but for sheer persistently high quality and variety I have never been anywhere to beat this place. The head chef is approachable too, polish up your French before starting the conversation because I'm certain he's French trained. Like all the senior staff we encountered he is seriously focussed on customer service and it is reflected in the way the other staff around him behave. This is starting to sound like an advert but if you want to go somewhere where you get great variety, consistent excellent quality food and consistent excellent quality service, then this is it. Over on the left hand short side is the pudding area. I am not a pudding person but three of the party are highly experienced 'puddingers', they all reported that the desserts were of stunning variety, beautifully presented, which I can vouch for, and delicious. There was also a wide variety of fresh and dried fruits, ice creams and sorbets. Breakfast time they have a juice bar where you can get a veggy shot, a citrus shot -often grapefruit- and a house fruit mix. I found the grapefruit shot to be just what I needed each morning, squeezed in front of you, couldn't be fresher. Still on the breakfast theme, there was all you'd expect, catering for both continental and UK tastes, I love having my eggs cooked in front of me and dropped straight on to my hot buttered toast. I occasionally had a croissant and always had a little fruit.
I tried all three house wines. I usually opt for the red and theirs is almost chianti-ish and I only had one 'corked' bottle in two weeks -not bad at all and a perfectly acceptable plonk. The white was preferred by my father in law who normally only drinks red, so that's a recommend I'd say, it was chardonnay-ish to my taste buds, well chilled and tasty. We only tried the rose once but not because it was bad, simply because we were happy with the others.
Now bear in mind even though this is a moderate Muslim country, I wasn't expecting to get anything originating from a pig. Well I was wrong. We had a massive, beautifully cooked gammon roast on one occasion and an equally tasty pork roast the following week. Not only that, but is was right in the middle of Ramadan too. We had a good enough relationship with several of the staff including the incredible Mr Kamel, the major character at the beach, to ask how it affected them. All day in that heat with no food, no water and no smoking and yet serving us with lots of food, alcohol and water, boy did we feel for them.
Anyway, the food was superb and every day there were also a number of Tunisian dishes in their own food station opposite the usual ones and two soups too I've always been a fan of Tagine style casseroles so I enjoyed these when they were on, rich, fruity and spicy with a hint of cinnamon. They also have a 'White' gala night and in alternate weeks a 'red' gala night where the ladies can dress accordingly and the men grudgingly play along. They put massive effort into these two nights and they are well worth going to, so if you do an 'al a carte' night, don't do it on these nights.
OK, the a la carte nights. We did the Italian and the Thai. Both had good menus and both had a lovely ambiance with great service. In both restaurants the selections were excellent and very well prepared and the service superb. We thoroughly enjoyed them but wondered what we had missed in the main restaurant! Never happened before for me, always before the a la cartes have been a kind of high point from a food perspective. At the Penelope, 'the usual fare', is exceptional. All six of us were very impressed.
ACTIVITIES: Well with a pair of 18 year olds we wanted to be sure there was plenty to do. The variety of sports is superb and they don't just play at it, pardon the pun. The cycling guy was a Ukraine team member and the archery bloke knew his stuff, free banana boat rides , wake boarding and water skiing and kayaking all make this exceptional. Add in the beach volleyball and football, the pool games and just swimming and you have plenty to do to burn off what you're eating.
There was only one down side to any of this. When you get to the beach there's supposed to be a buoyed area left and right showing where it is safe to swim and a channel marked to show where the motorised stuff goes and the kayaks have free movement. I swim a lot on holiday, several times a day around the perimeter of whatever swimming area there is. They had the lines of buoys going out but they didn't close off the tops of the enclosures and this was clearly on the maps of the swimming area. It isn't the professional boat drivers that you're bothered about really -although the parascending guys must spend their time looking at what they are dragging, no, it is the amateur jet skier or kayaker that worries me, the skiers come in at high speed and it is easy to become disoriented and choose the right side of the buoys rather than the left. The kayakers aren't always looking ahead. Yes the hotel shares a buoy line with the next door hotel but there's nothing to stop them closing off the top with a line of their own buoys. I voiced this concern to the customer manager Latifia, she was ace by the way, never seemed to stop for a minute. She took it up with the beach people and they did nothing. I even drew a little diagram showing where the buoys were missing. After three days I saw the two top guys doing a walk-about and approached them. The general manager was on his radio straight away giving the beach guys warp speed Arabic. Within ten to 15 minutes they had another line of 5 buoys towed out and deployed. The snag is that they still hadn't closed the gap on the right side and had done nothing on the left and that was the state of play when I left. So my only downer on this place is a small risk in the swimming area. Wouldn't cost more than a few pounds to sort and would make this place near perfect.
This swimming bit is at odds with the rest of the place where attention to detail is the norm. The flowers are fresh every day and some little guy is always doing arrangements in the main public areas, there are always people going around cleaning, polishing and generally keeping the place smart. The toilets always smell fresh and get cleaned seemingly every ten minutes. The time and care taken every day to prep the main restaurant for the theme of the day all speak of a highly motivated and well organised team who want to do it right and welcome feedback. The managers don't hide, they make themselves obvious by wearing distinctive red or blue shirts, they are always wandering around the complex. In the restaurant you can pick out the duty senior chef because he's the one going around making sure the others are on the ball, constant adjustment and correction. The salad bar guy watches you take some food, you turn around a moment later he's either replaced it or is chopping more or rearranging the dish you just messed up. the return trip was just as trouble free as the outbound, the Airport is slick.

All in all a brilliant holiday, thank you Magic Life.

Room Tip: Book in online 2 weeks before, then email them a week before with your requirements. If you want qu...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Caribbean World Djerba
Caribbean World Djerba
#6 of 46 in Midoun
Fiesta Beach Club Djerba

Been to TUI MAGIC LIFE Penelope Beach? Share your experiences!