We booked this lodge way ahead and were looking forward to it. Its a nice remote place good to relax and have some rest. We had a chalet/rondovel with view on the watering hole where apparently animals come to drink (we didnt see them as in winter they have enough water around) but still the view and sunsets are very beautiful and you can see them from your private terrace. Meals (breakfast and dinner) are in buffet form, plentiful and you can for sure find something you like, there is also a souvenir shop. The game drives are fun, you can see a lot of animals and the groups are small.
We also had a massage included, so they drive you into the game reserve privately and drop you off a the spa that is located in the park and you can enjoy your massage, these visits are private so you can really have an hour of complete private relaxation in the spa with view on animals (we saw the giraffes!)
Having read also the other comments here I would list a few comments here how we experienced it:
- Yes it is not a real large wildlife park, but if you want to see the animals and many of them in short time, this is the way to go, you can also feed the elephants by hand on one of the evening drives (at least it was in our program) and thats kind of fun. We also saw a cheetah just 2 m of us lying and digesting one of the springbocks she ate so its kind of good for close up looks and the drives are fun as the area is beautiful.
- Yes its buffet style food, but its good to pick sth out you want and the barbecue is fresh made and delicious. The personnel was very nice and friendly, drinks are very reasonably priced.
-Chalet, we had a private greeting with champagne and hand made (as it appeared) sweets, very nice and the chalet was very clean and cosy. You might want to not take endless warm showers as the warm water is limited but reasonably enough for 2 people to shower morning and evening. The toilets work (just because i saw a comment somewhere that they are not for solids? - they work perfectly and water pressure in showers is also good (just to mention as in some places in south africa this was an issue)
- The rangers were young but very friendly and the game drives were fun. If you take the morning drive really dress warmly (especially if you are visiting like us in winter) it gets very cold but you get ponchos and a thermo bottle to sit on :) the groups for game drives are small (not like in Kruger national park for example) so you can ask questions and feel not like in an overstuffed tourist bus
-The restaurant where you can buy snacks during the day also has a happy hour, and has great non alcoholic smoothies and iced drinks, to really cheap prices! We would have expected more expensive drinks in lodges like this so we were happily surprised.
- I dont know about the other rooms, but chalets have no wifi, in common areas though there is.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set against the backdrop of the majestic Langeberg mountain Range, the Garden Route Game Lodge guards the entrance to South Africa’s world famous Garden Route Coast.Only 3½ scenic hours drive from Cape Town, this malaria free, family owned and operated private game reserve is home to an abundance of animal and birdlife including the Big 5.Visitors to the Garden Route Game Lodge can enjoy game viewing in open Landrovers, luxury accommodation and a memorable dining experience in one of our African style restaurants. Our friendly staff and management are there to anticipate your every need to complete your unforgettable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Garden Route Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Route Game Hotel Albertina
- Garden Route Game Lodge South Africa/Albertina