The Garden Route Safari park is as good place to see African animals on the Cape if you are pressed for time. The staff are friendly and efficient and you will see a wide variety of animals in an environment that is as close to their real environment as you can get.
I drove from Cape town to the park in Albertina and the drive was quite pleasant about four hours. Unfortunately, we could not key in the address into the car navigator and there are no signs warning you that the safari park is near. So if you are driving down from Cape town it is five minutes on the left past Albertina.
When we arrived they had our names at the gate. The duty manager Byron met us and directed us to the reception desk. Megan the receptionist was very efficient
The restaurants are clean and the staff is helpful. The buffet was plentiful and if you were interested in trying some of the local game they are all on the barbecue (brai). The ladies on the grill were very helpful and the waitresses were friendly.
The Safari Excursion
The 'safari' excursion was a great way to see the animals. Our guide for the two excursions was Lume, she was very knowledgable on the game we saw.. In the evening and morning drives I saw a lot of the animals the park had. Unfortunately on the evening ride my partner did not see so many animals as she had the middle of back row of the truck. A good hint for anyone going out on these drives. Try to get the front row as you can see all the animals or try to sit next to the driver but the worst seat would be in the middle of the middle row I noticed the girl who sat there could not see much.
We stayed in the chalet and it was clean and tidy. The were some little headaches like the hair dryer not working and the door lock sticking but not really a bother. The chalets are getting older but not a great problem.
Finally if you can afford the time and the money it is well worth the trip. But one little bug bear was that I was given a questionnaire and I answered the the questions favorably then I got an email from the manager asking me to add a review to trip advisor. I really did not appreciate that and it left a slightly sour taste in my mouth for obvious reasons. Even though we had a good experience you wonder about how many other reviews were coerced to improve ranking on tripadvisor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set against the backdrop of the majestic Langeberg mountain Range, the Garden Route Game Lodge guards the entrance to South Africa’s world famous Garden Route Coast.Only 3½ scenic hours drive from Cape Town, this malaria free, family owned and operated private game reserve is home to an abundance of animal and birdlife including the Big 5.Visitors to the Garden Route Game Lodge can enjoy game viewing in open Landrovers, luxury accommodation and a memorable dining experience in one of our African style restaurants. Our friendly staff and management are there to anticipate your every need to complete your unforgettable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Garden Route Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Route Game Hotel Albertina
- Garden Route Game Lodge South Africa/Albertina