“Diner at Graze”

Graze Slow Food Cafe
Ranked #4 of 33 Restaurants in Stanford
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Locally sourced and seasonal menu
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The meal was beautiful...Fresh produce, lovingly prepared. The staff were superb! Very friendly... we did not want to leave!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Since coming to the Overberg in February, I've visited lots of local haunts but have made Graze my Saturday morning habit (usually with a couple of kids in tow). There just can't possibly be a better breakfast in all of the Western Cape than what's on the menu at this tiny gem of a restaurant. First, all ingredients are fresher than fresh (you can even purchase Alex and Tabby's surplus farm produce every Wednesday morning), which means each dish is simply brimming with flavor. My personal favorite is "Zodwa's Special," which includes two poached eggs over sautéed Halloumi cheese and black mushrooms with Tzatziki sauce and fresh-made salsa on top. WOW. The "Graze Benedict" is also fantastic, and, like several options on offer, perfect for those on a gluten-free or low-carb diet plan. If you want to toss the diet out the window, then you have to taste Tabby's incredible cream-filled profiteroles, which are utterly delicious paired with a cup of coffee or tea.

I waited to post a review until I'd had a chance to enjoy a Friday evening supper at Graze. Locals kept telling me it was beyond compare, but I wanted to see for myself. My husband and I made reservations (a must, as this is a very popular evening attraction) and strolled up around 7pm, just as the candles were lit and the cozy atmosphere at its best. The menu for the night was written out on the chalkboard wall to the right, and we both immediately settled on grilled fillet steak with sweet potatoes dauphinoise, horseradish creme fraiche, and roasted veg. Hands down, it's the best steak I've eaten since moving far from my very favorite restaurant in the world in East Africa (a steak which, alas, no other chef can touch for flavor and cut). But this steak would give any other cut of meat a run for its money and then some. Buttery tenderness, utterly succulent flavor, and incredible pairing with the sauce and the veg. Not a morsel was left on either of our plates! We finished off with my husband enjoying the Pomegranate Cheesecake and me savoring the chocolate brownie. Great atmosphere in the cozy snuggery of the inside, but it would also have been just as lovely on the front stoep.

This wouldn't be a complete review if I failed to mention Tabby's utterly fabulous flour-free chocolate cake. I'm not on a gluten-free diet, but I prefer this amazing confection to any cake made with flour. It is rich with the emphasis on the good chocolate instead of an overuse of sugar. Decadent but not guilt-inducing. Absolutely lovely.

Do NOT miss Graze if you'll be coming to Stanford. In fact, it's worth making the trip just to enjoy a Friday night supper or breakfast or lunch Wednesday to Saturday. Very budget-friendly but with top ingredients and warm, friendly service. Come to dine--stay to simply soak up the atmosphere that personifies Stanford Village.

1  Thank JennieCSA
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Genuine the best restaurant in the village. Regretfully (but understandably because of it being young parents with commitments) only open on Friday evenings for the most superb meal in this historical South African village

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We were driving along the coast east of Hermanus and drove through Stanford. The town was dead on an early Saturday afternoon in early fall but the outdoor tables at Graze were busy so we stopped for lunch. There was no menu but Alex came out and asked what we wanted. We said a light lunch so he prepared a wonderful salad with avocado and quail eggs for my wife and a fig and and ham bruschetta for me. Both were excellent home cooking with great service in a pleasant outdoor cafe atmosphere. As I recall lunch came to less than $20 USD. A great lunch surprise.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Wonderful farm fresh food, perfectly cooked by Tabby and served by Alex. Only complaint is that they only open one evening a week!

1  Thank stupendous2014