“what a delightful surprise”
Review of Madre's Kitchen - CLOSED

Madre's Kitchen
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fabulously situated on the Stanford Wine Estate (on the R43 in Stanford), this organic vegetable garden kitchen was recommended to us by locals & was a fabulous find. A glass of chilled sauvignon blanc & a simple but excellent lunch whilst watching the coots play on the small lake in front of the kitchen. A rustic paradise situated between the whale watching at Hermanus and De Kelders.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I had lunch here to celebrate a dear friend's 60th birthday last month. We originally had a table on the veranda overlooking a lovely little lake with a roaring open fireplace next to us. Alas the wind came up and forced us inside. The wait staff were very attentive to each of us and kept our glasses full while we waited for out food. Yummy yummy is all I can say. Delicious tasty homemade food to savour. The owner gave each of us a glass of the most incredible dessert wine to toast our friend, on the house. We spent the entire aftenoon chatting and eating the nicest food I have had in a long time in a charming countryside restaurant. Well done to the staff of Madre's kitchen

There are newer reviews for Madre's Kitchen

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We went to this restaurant for Sunday lunch. The setting is beautiful and the staff are friendly and helpful. But there is no flexibility as far as the meals are concerned. The menu is on a blackboard. I had oxtail with risotto. My partner didn't eat any of the main courses (there was no vegetarian or chicken main meal) and asked if she could have a plate of the risotto. We were told that the portions were very controlled and you couldn't have risotto if you didn't want oxtail. The table behind us were asking to have chips with their pie instead of mash and they were told that the pie was only served with mash. The strange thing was that one of the other meals (I think it was a fish cake) was served with chips. My partner had to settle for a veg soup and some brie and bread. I don't think I have ever eaten somewhere where you dint have a selection of starch!
When we left, there were 4 people waiting for a table and they sat down at our vacated table, only to find out that the food was all finished and that they could have tea and cake-this was before 2 pm. Maybe this is how the restaurant chooses to operate because they make enough money! But one sitting is a bit much!
What a disappointing Sunday lunch.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We have just spent a wonderful weekend in Stanford and we are so pleased that we went to Madre's Kitchen. The minute that we pulled into the parking lot, I knew that we hade made the right choice. The weather was not in our favour and we were practically blown inside ... However, we were warmly welcomed by very friendly staff and made to feel at home near the roaring fire. The food was spectacular. The atmosphere perfect and the staff were fantastic. We spent hours there and I wish we could have tried everything on the menu! In fact, we immediately booked a table for the next day. Our second experience was as good as our first. I cannot wait to go back!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

It was a lovely mild autumn day ,the venue is fabulous for children and the view of the mountains always breathtakingly awesome!
We have been there a few times and it has always been satisfactory not wow but nothing to complain about,yesterday was very disappointing !
Everybody had something different so out of 6 grown-ups and 5 children 2 seemed satisfied.
I ordered duck and it was dry and not much love was given to the prep of our dishes!When one spends more than two thousand rands for lunch you would expect a bit more! My daughter ordered fish which was not fresh and she didnt touch it,we told our waitress about it but she seemed flustered and said she would tell Madre-nothing happened.A starter salad came as a dessert,someone forgot to put the order in early!There was a definite lack of service,too many people to little help??The fish cakes for the children had a herb in which made it look green and none of them touched it,children like plain!I know Madre's Kitchen had a fab write up in the latest Splash magazine by a couple in Durbanville,well they were lucky! We will spend our money elsewhere before we return.

1  Thank MarthaBo
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Set in a beautiful garden over looking a dam, Madre's Kitchen is the perfect place for breakfast or lunch. I enjoyed a hearty breakfast sitting under the vines, the portions were very generous and everything tasted farm fresh. Ducks and geese wander around and provide entertainment for all.

Children are well catered for, there is a play area and plenty of lush green lawn to run about.

Really delightful place but please note breakfast is only served until 10:30 and during the season booking is essential.