“Amazing setting”
Review of Madre's Kitchen - CLOSED

Madre's Kitchen
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fabulously situated on the Stanford Wine Estate (on the R43 in Stanford), this organic vegetable garden kitchen was recommended to us by locals & was a fabulous find. A glass of chilled sauvignon blanc & a simple but excellent lunch whilst watching the coots play on the small lake in front of the kitchen. A rustic paradise situated between the whale watching at Hermanus and De Kelders.
Reviewed 20 August 2014

A impromptu lunch, at the place I had heard so much about, for the last couple of years.
Incredible setting, super friendly staff and owner.
The cuisine was good, not the wow factor I was expecting
Will however return.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The setting, the decor, the food - this will become one of our favourites - and perfect for an outing! Family friendly - but the kids playground far enough not to disturb. Whoever styled this amazing place ( probably Madre herself - judging from our brief interaction) did a fabulous job. Everything is spot-on - without being in-your-face....we loved the tasting room, the koi pond, the table linen - one of the few places around where the decorator understood the term "proudly South African". Well done Madre ( or the decorator). The menu is limited but special - we had camambert wrapped in vine leaves - nice interpertation. We shared a burger - also good. Wine - also good. We'll be back.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have passed Madre’s for years and only a few months ago turned off the main road and visited the restaurant. Since then we have been back time and again. This is one of our favourite breakfast destinations. The setting is amazing and even on cold winters days the “kaggel” (fireplace) makes the visit even more special. Madre and the staff treat you like family. Thanks for an amazing experience time and again.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I had lunch here to celebrate a dear friend's 60th birthday last month. We originally had a table on the veranda overlooking a lovely little lake with a roaring open fireplace next to us. Alas the wind came up and forced us inside. The wait staff were very attentive to each of us and kept our glasses full while we waited for out food. Yummy yummy is all I can say. Delicious tasty homemade food to savour. The owner gave each of us a glass of the most incredible dessert wine to toast our friend, on the house. We spent the entire aftenoon chatting and eating the nicest food I have had in a long time in a charming countryside restaurant. Well done to the staff of Madre's kitchen

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We went to this restaurant for Sunday lunch. The setting is beautiful and the staff are friendly and helpful. But there is no flexibility as far as the meals are concerned. The menu is on a blackboard. I had oxtail with risotto. My partner didn't eat any of the main courses (there was no vegetarian or chicken main meal) and asked if she could have a plate of the risotto. We were told that the portions were very controlled and you couldn't have risotto if you didn't want oxtail. The table behind us were asking to have chips with their pie instead of mash and they were told that the pie was only served with mash. The strange thing was that one of the other meals (I think it was a fish cake) was served with chips. My partner had to settle for a veg soup and some brie and bread. I don't think I have ever eaten somewhere where you dint have a selection of starch!
When we left, there were 4 people waiting for a table and they sat down at our vacated table, only to find out that the food was all finished and that they could have tea and cake-this was before 2 pm. Maybe this is how the restaurant chooses to operate because they make enough money! But one sitting is a bit much!
What a disappointing Sunday lunch.