“Country fine food”

Ranked #5 of 34 Restaurants in Stanford
Price range: US$2 - US$4
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Lunch served at 12:30 pm Thursday thru Sunday Dinner served at 06:30 pm Wednesday through Saturday Set on a working wine farm, we keep things down to earth, in all senses of the word! Home grown and foraged herbs and veggies, locally sourced fish and meats. Throw the white gloves out the window, and keep all the flavour and finesse a Michelin starred team brings to the table! No BYO, as we have put together an extensive wine list, with South African boutique wineries, overseas gems, and our own Springfontein wines, including older vintages, so everyone should be able to find something special to appeal to their palate, and pair with their meal! We look forward to meeting you, treating you, and showing you what we are all about!
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

A night out in the country and looking for somewhere to eat, we were amazed to find this fine food restaurant. Each of the five courses had wonderful combination of complimenting flavours. Service was excellent. An evening to rave about when we get back home.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Taking a total chance and going somewhere totally unknown to us we were unbelievably surprised.
Such a gem on our door step and still so unknown. It will not be long before you will have to book months in advance.
We went with my 13 year old son and I thought it would be a drama as he wanted KFC!
And then the surprises just started rolling in. The little artisan breads , the amuse bouches, the flavours, colours and taste sensations.
Each course better than the one before. My choice was the lamb menu and as well as my son's, my partner had the chicken.
I loved the lambs tongue with parsnips and the rack of lamb with ratatouille was cooked just this side of tear worthy. And the sauces.... Oh my.
The dessert of pear and chocolate was possibly my least favourite course but only because I think by that stage I was had a sensory overload! Oh, let me not forget to mention the pea and salt soup, a little cup of perfection.
Our wines were wonderful too, I started off with bubbles and loved the little tastings we were able to do with Eugene who was actually quite knowledgeable. I settled on the pinotage which was so good we bought a cast to take home!
We loved our whole experience, from start to finish. My son was won over and loved his first real experience of fine dining, and what a way to start at a Michelin star chef's restaurant?
Well done to the whole team, but especially the chef!

1  Thank Zed B
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Since the 1960’s I have been fortunate to have dined at many Michelin starred restaurants in France and I have no hesitation in writing that in my opinion Springfontein Eats is of an exemplary standard. In addition the ambience is delightfully relaxed and unpretentious with no patronising waiters, nor Sommeliers looking with disdain if the most expensive wines are not selected. Children and dogs are made welcome. I am not describing the food we ate as the menu is constantly changing. This was our second visit and every dish was outstanding with no gimmicks and the often found fixed menu with a mismatch of flavours served on bits of slate, wood or scratchy black plates and where a fortune has been spent on the decor and very little on the food. Springfontein Eats is set in a beautiful and quiet location and one is tempted to linger and contemplate the next visit. Eating outside is lovely at lunchtime and the dining room is spacious and inviting and the service is professional, unobtrusive, and commensurate with a top restaurant. The wine list includes some of the finest South African, French, and German wines. If readers of this review have seen previous reviews I have made they will have noticed that many of them are uncomplimentary. It is, therefore, a joy to be able to write this report and to know that really excellent dining in lovely surroundings still exists. Long live Springfontein Eats.

2  Thank Roger312659
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We had the most superb meal. It was never ending. Wine was equally amazing. Even our 14 yr old was blown away and all thoughts of kfc disappeared after the first plate arrived. We loved it.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Great food in every detail, flavours perfectly matching, you can taste that Jürgen Schneider has a long experience in high class cuisine