“An incredible find”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Claremont, Cape Town
“An incredible find”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were in McGregor for the Wacky Wine Weekend and were looking for somewhere that offered top quality food within walking distance. What a find this place is. It's a small intimate venue with wonderful friendly service, and incredible food.

The husband and wife team that own and manage the restaurant are clearly committed to offering the best food experience possible for the price. They source the best available in seasonal ingredients every week and for this reason the small but interesting chalkboard menu changes every week. My wife and I enjoyed the Pork Belly with black pudding on Pea Puree as a starter. It was the best of its kind I have ever tasted and great value at 60 rand. I had 28 day matured steak whilst my wife enjoyed the fresh cob. Again the quality of the produce and the ability of the chef shone through. Main Courses including vegetarian ranged from 105 Rand through to 140 rand. The quality of the food ranked with some of their more illustrious and more expensive counterparts in Cape Town

I would highly recommend Karoux - it's a gem of a restaurant in one of South Africa's quaintest villages.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Vuynai
Karoux, Owner at Karoux Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review on Karoux and for sharing your experience with us. We are extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dinner with us and hope that you will visit us again!

Kind Regards,
Aimée and Ryan

Pretoria South
“HAPPINESS IS”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were in McGregor for the yearly Wacky Wine Weekend and because of the reviews on Tripadvisor, I booked a table for the 6 us for Saturday night.

When the chef at Green Gables heard we were going to eat at Karoux the next night, he gushed about the cheese souffle with grappa sauce - not something I'd otherwise have been tempted to order.

We are all suspicious of restaurants with huge menus and was happy to read the handwritten black board menu with 3 or 4 each items available for each course. It was difficult to choose, because everything sounded very tempting.

We have been nibbling all day long while doing wine tasting and 3 of us decided to order 2 starters instead of a starter and a main. Everyone were stunned into silence with the excellence of each of the dishes. Presentation was as good as at any Michelin starred restaurant, and then I'm not even talking about the taste! Aimee served us freshly baked ciabatta with a salty finish to the crust that was gobbled up in no time.

Some of us had the Gruyère Cheese souffle - airy and light inside, with a thin crisp crust in the tastiest, smooth sauce. I almost cancelled my order of confit pork belly to have another souffle, but luckily I didn't, because the smallish serving of crispy cubes of pork belly didn't disappoint. It looked small (it was a starter serving after all) but it had such a delicate rich texture inside the contrasting crispy outside, that it was enough to feel satisfied without feeling stuffed. It was not fatty and was served with little strips of perfectly crispy crackling and a slice of black pudding on each cube of pork belly. I can't remember what the sauce was that it was served with, but it went perfectly with the dish.

Some of the other members of our happy table ordered Jerusalem artichoke soup which was declared as good as the souffle. The 3 mains that were ordered, were the beef rump and 2 had the Springbok (cooked to a perfect pink) with a Springbok pasty. I was too busy enjoying my 2 courses to take too much note of the finer details of their servings, but it was declared perfect.

Even though we didn't need to "just plug that little space" because we've all had enough to eat, we could not let the deserts go without tasting. So we shared a creme brullee and 2 fig tarts served with home made ice cream (served with a couple of raspberries to take it to total perfection).

The consensus was that eating at Karoux is not to be missed if you have the opportunity. I'm just scared that Ryan and Aimee might disappear before I have the chance to eat at Karoux again.

I can carry on about the service and the ambiance and everything else, but the other reviewers already covered that. Oh and did I mention that all of this (plus a bottle of good wine and a couple of beers) cost way less than what we usually have to pay for a mediocre meal in most pretentious restaurants in Gauteng...?

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Petro B
Karoux, Owner at Karoux Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time out to write such a lovely long and detailed review, it was a great pleasure to read it and hear how much you all enjoyed the food. I must say I have to agree with you that Ryan really does make the best soufflé in McGregor and the grappa really adds a nice dimension to his sauce. We hope that when you are down next from Pretoria that you will pop in and pay us a visit (we don't plan on disappearing any time soon :) )

Warm regards,
Aimée and Ryan
Robertson
“The Place To Be The one stop for real quality food”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

After the 4th time visiting the Karoux the food critics are.
-Magical -consistent
-Great choices in the menu
-Crispy fresh hand-picked
food.
A great chef with a lot of creativity and for us the best in the whole region.
Eating out has 4 major components.
-Food
-Service
-Atmosphere
-Price
This restaurant has it all,well done we will always
Come back because we are passionate food lovers

• Visited May 2014
Karoux, Owner at Karoux Restaurant, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you Gina and Fernand for the wonderful feedback. Greatly appreciated and so happy to hear that you have enjoyed your experiences at Karoux - it is always a great pleasure serving our food to people who appreciate and have the same love for food that we do! Look forward to welcoming you back to Karoux soon!

Regards,
Robertson, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We decided to celebrate our 10th anniversary at Karoux and so happy we did. Our table was scattered with rose petals making it even more romantic. Amiee was brilliant and Ryan (amazing chef) came over to the table to greet and congratulate us. the restaurant was fully booked but at no stage did we feel rushed, service flowed at a good pace.

Now the food. We shared a mussels starter, huge mussels and very tasty, we had the duck and lamb shank dor mains, they where out of this world and for dessert we had the chocolate mousse which was the final touch to an amazing meal and evening.

We will definitely be going back. Thanks guys for making our night so special

Dear Clive

So pleased that you chose to celebrate such a special occasion with us at Karoux restaurant and that it was a memorable evening for you both.

Ryan and I look forward to welcoming you both back!

Regards,
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Stunning!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were staying at the Old Village Lodge where Nicolaas could not stop raving about Karoux and made a booking for us. We totally agree. To the extent that we ate there on two successive evenings! And would have gone there a third if we did not have to go home.

Ryan and Aimee run the establishment with only one assistant. Aimee is front of house looking after the twelve or so tables. She is very attentive and makes you instantly feel welcome. Ryan is a world class chef. The food is some of the best I have had. Ever. Anywhere.

On the first night we had the Cheese Souffle and Yellow tail Tataki. The souffle is served with a grappa sauce and is absolutely stunning. The yellow tail was slightly seared and served as if sashimi with a wasabi panna cotta. Delicious. As a main, I had the rib-eye steak. Quite honestly, the best steak I have ever had. My wife had the confit pork belly. You would expect it to be a bit fatty, but not at all. The crispy pork rind is just right. For desert we had the home made rocky road and caramel nougat ice creams. With coffee and a grappa. Really good.

We went back the following evening. But we had a problem. Although the food is haute cuisine quality, the portion sizes are not. We could not eat so much two nights running. So I chose two starters instead and my partner only had a main. The souffle is so good, I just had to have it again. My wife had the Tom Yum risotto. The flavours are just right without the heat the soup usually has. She loved it. I had the starter crispy duck wontons which were perfect. Not much room for desert, so we shared the dark chocolate mouse with coffee.

The decor is quaint but basic. You walk through an unassuming entrance past a patio with a few tables to a small dining room. The decor is 50's kitsch including the three ducks on the wall and a melamine kitchen dresser. And two old gram radios. The menu is basic with only four choices each for starter, main and desert on a blackboard. It changes frequently according to what is seasonal and fresh.

We found a stunning new wine at Karoux: Springfield Whole Berry Cabernet Sauvignon. It is not cheap, but worth every cent. We went to the winery the following day and bought a few bottles. We could not finish the bottle the first evening, so Aimee offered to keep it corked for us for the following evening. Another nice touch. Red wines are served slightly chilled at 18c as they should. The wine cooler is a 1960's turquoise fridge that will make any SMEG fan green with envy.

Oh, another nice touch. Aimee offered to take a picture of us outside in front of the Karoux sign.

This restaurant will not be out of place anywhere in the world. The decor will prevent it from getting a Michelin star. But the food and the service earns it three in my book!

As Annie said: "I will be back". As often as I can. If you are in the area, do not miss out on Karoux.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank John K
Dear John

Wow what wonderful feedback! It was an absolute pleasure serving you and your wife over the two nights that you chose to dine with us and we most certainly hope that McGregor will be on the top of your list as a destination when choosing your next break.

Look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards,