“bouncy soup”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I am currently reading up on the area, as we'll be there again for the Whacky Wine Weekend at the beginning of June. Reading John T's review brought back memories of the horrible lunch we were served at Kingsriver during our first Whacky Wine visit (I think it was in 2011). We'd picked out this establishment for lunch because the description on the Whacky programme sounded awesome.

We were plonked at a table with a table cloth that had seen plenty of previous diners that day - without even having the overlay replaced. I ordered bean soup and from where I was sitting, I could see the plate standing in the pass ..... for ages, while my husband's food (the special as advertised) was being prepared. Just before it came out, I saw it being taken back, only to re-appear at our table boiling hot (microwave) with a thick skin on top. It was not even stirred through. My husband's food was as disappointing.

The fact that that meal is still so vivid in my memory is testament to how bad it was.

There are newer reviews for Kingsriver Estate Country House

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I booked a room for 2 nights, mainly for my husband's 50th birthday. They were made aware of this and I received confirmation that they would like to do something special from their side as well, but nothing at all. Not even a complimentary bottle of wine or a chocolate - nothing. Furthermore, we were put in the wrong room when we arrived (and not greeted very friendly I might add) and after a few hours moved to another room which was half the size. No bottled water in the fridge, no dstv decoder and an aircon that did not work at first. The first night we received a menu that did not leave you with much choice and we waited extremely long for each course. The second night we were given another menu with rump steak on it, but when we wanted to order, they only had two pieces of steak when there were six people booked for the night! Pathetic to say the least. It was dark outside and a lot of potholes and mud seeing that it was raining - by no means easy to get to the restaurant for dinner. The room was not cleaned after the first night although they were in the room. I made the bed myself, but they did not even clean the small little bin in the bathroom. There was a fireplace in the room, but no wood to make a fire with! I was not aware that it was a dirt road to get there either, so that was also very disappointing. No clear indication where you should drive or park to get to the entrance as well. I will certainly not book at Kingsriver Estate again, nor recommend them to any of my friends.

1  Thank Ellen123_13
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My husband booked a Valentine's dinner for us (albie late), and instead of indicating that they were fully booked, they simply stuck us in the reception area. Then, without explaining that the al la carte menu would not be available, presented a set menu that had no alternatives. When we requested an alternative, we were simply told, "no". Eventually, they had to check, grudgingly with the chef. We should have left at that point. An alternative was selected - not great. Then to rub salt in the wound, we were charged for a jug of (not bottled) water. We have not/shall not go back until there is a profound change.

1  Thank GingerMelon
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Having moved here last August I was delighted to see the high quality and standards in the three main Restaurants in this small village itself. --- Green Gables, Tebaldis and Karoux......more in another write in.
However Kingsriver has been closed for some time but the owner sent out a line on the local McGregor News so a friend and I visited for lunch last Sunday. It proved to be without any doubt the worst possible experience I have encountered since retiring here to the Sunny Cape fifteen years. The grounds are just that full of ruts and potholes and no clear indication as to how to get in to the Restaurant We went in to this white walled, wihite clothed tables with white china without a sign of a flower or for that matter a joyous feeling of "This looks nice !" We had taken our own bottles of wine in a bag full of ice and water and the screw caps we could see to ourselves. In the note on McGregor News we were told there was a simple menu but also an a la carte. The simple menu was just that and NO a la carte. The only choice of starter was Mushroom Soup which consisted of milk and cream and chopped slightly boiled mushrooms and although curls of butter on the table, no sign of home cooked bread but three Pro Vitas on the saucer of the soup bowl. There was on the wall an expensive piece of equipment that took about seven CD's but wasn't put in to use. The main course was supposed to be Roast Leg of Lamb (nowhere in the World can come up to good Karoo Lamb - the English Lakes included). As we were the only two diners I swear to God this was a Lamb Shank carved along the bones as each slice was the size of an average Pear. Uninspired Vegetables. By this time with the depressing lack of atnosphere and equally dull (School Dinner) food we were expected to eat and having left most on our plates we were told the Sweets of the Day were Fresh Fruit Salad or Assorted Sorbets. Give me a break please. The two course meal was charged at
175 Rands EACH - the most expensive in this whole area. We had eaten so little on the way back we stopped off at the Donkey Sanctuary Diner and thoroughly enjoyed a Home Made Burger with chips. - This is the very first time in my life ( and I am close now on Eighty) I have felt I should resort to contributing to this form of communication simply to warn folk off this utter rip off. Go for Green Gables, Tebaldis and Karoux in the village of McGregor itself. All will restore and uplift your thoughts on Food and Wine and offered here.Being one of the ORIGINAL Master Chefs of Britain, given an OBE for my services to the Hotel and Catering Profession and been made a Chef Laureate by the French I can honestly say this is the first time I have written a review in this tone.

6  Thank John T
Reviewed 9 January 2013

During our 3 day stay in McGregor, we dined twice at Kingsriver Estate, and really enjoyed the excellent food and wine on both occasions. The whole experience was unpretentious. The steaks were perfect and the lamb knuckle curry delicious. Do not miss out on the deserts, as you receive a complimentary glass of their very special apricot wine as well.