“A wonderful weekend!”
Family bathroom
Garden
Double bedroom
Utility room
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Elisabeth...
“A wonderful weekend!”
Reviewed 3 weeks ago for a stay in May 2018

Beechwood House is brilliant! We spent a lovely bank holiday weekend with a group of 13 friends and were welcomed by James with a bottle of bubbles and chocolates. The house itself has so much space, it's comfortable and has a kitchen that is fully equipped for everything. The garden is huge, we enjoyed playing croquet and relaxing in the sun, and the pool is a great addition! We didn't want to leave come Monday after a glorious weekend.

28 May 2018
So nice to hear that you all had such an enjoyable weekend and that the house, studios, garden and swimming pool all met with your full expectations.
Elaine U
“74th birthday”
Reviewed 29 April 2018 for a stay in April 2018

We booked Beechwood house for a 74th Birthday. The house is ergonomically designed to both socialize and has areas you can disappear for time out.. We were met by James on arrival together with Bubbly/birthday cake and chocs... The house is amazing and the garden and pool too. Nice patio and barbecue area...very peaceful and great for get together and chill out... I will certainly book again in the future. We had a mixed age group from 22yrs to 74yrs and we all felt comfortable. All you will need is in place at the house. Hairdryer/tv/dvd/stereo/games.etc.. Highly recommend. Thank you To James and co for the warm welcome and hospitality. and the yummy cake...very nice

Your age range 50-64
30 Apr 2018
You are most welcome and I'm so pleased you all enjoyed your weekend with us and that your mother took away some happy memories of her 74th Birthday.
SueFletch...
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Beautiful house, great location, perfectly presented and equipped throughout.”
Reviewed 6 April 2018 for a stay in March 2018

We wanted a special house to celebrate a special birthday and Beechwood House fits the bill. From the fresh flowers dotted around the house to the heated pool this house is amazing, clean, spacious and well equipped throughout.

Your age range 35-49
8 Apr 2018
Thank you for your kind words and it was lovely seeing you all again for a second visit to Beechwood House. We look forward to you returning again for the next birthday milestone in your family!
rubia1984
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a large celebration”
Reviewed 3 April 2018 for a stay in March 2018

We booked Beechwood House for a group of ten 30-somethings celebrating a hen party and it was just perfect in every way. The house is beautiful, with plenty of space for everyone to spread out. We loved the pool even though we didn't have much time to make use of it.
Owner James was very welcoming and met us there to give a guided tour (he even provided a bottle of fizz to get the party started!) Most other cottages I've stayed in only provide instructions on where to find the key, but this was a totally different experience. He assured us he was just a phonecall away if we needed anything over the weekend - thankfully we didn't have to contact him at all.
I would 100% recommend Beechwood House - I think it would be even more fabulous in summer when you can make use of the enormous garden (seriously, it's like a park!)
Thank you James! :)

5 Apr 2018
You are most welcome, and I'm delighted that you all enjoyed your weekend and all that Beechwood House has to offer.
RolyH
New York City, New York
“Perfect in every way!”
Reviewed 15 March 2018 for a stay in March 2018

We just enjoyed a wonderful long weekend at Beechwood House and left on Monday morning wishing we could have stayed a little bit longer!
Unlike the surprisingly caustic review below, we experienced nothing but courtesy and efficiency - with everything working as it should - I can't quite believe we are talking about the same property in fact!
We were met by James, who showed us around the lovely house and grounds and made it clear he was on hand should we have any questions or issues throughout our stay.
We have arranged several family gatherings in the past and stayed in a number of large properties over the years and we all agreed that Beechwood House was one of the best we've experienced and we definitely plan to revisit some time. The house is spacious, comfortable and homely, the garden is nicely secluded and the heated swimming pool is a real bonus! Cambridge is only 20 minutes away and we had a great couple of days exploring the city.

19 Mar 2018
It was lovely meeting you all and I'm so pleased you all had such an enjoyable stay with us at Beechwood House. Your kind words are also appreciated and it would be a joy to have you back again when next arranging your family reunion.
ihearthol...
St Albans, United Kingdom
“DO NOT BOOK!!”
Reviewed 26 February 2018 for a stay in November 2017
people found this review helpful

After reading reviews about the owner ripping off travellers for their security deposits I went ahead and booked anyway! I wish I paid attention now as he did exactly the same to us!
On first inspection the house is beautiful! But when you look closely it isn’t worth the money you pay in the first place let alone the whopping great security deposit he takes on top!
The house was filthy and unsafe. There were no fire extinguishers, sprinklers or blankets (which I thought was awful!) coffee stains up the stairs on the lovely white carpets, remnants of previous parties everywhere like 21st birthday confetti in the kitchen and gift bags under the sofas. The freezer didn’t work and defrosted our whole weekends shop! The dishwasher didn’t work, one of the gas ovens didn’t light, the central heating wouldn’t come on which meant we FROZE at night, there wasn’t enough hot water for 10, the tumble dryer beeped incessantly which kept us awake, even before we had used it and there was only 1 key between all of us and no key safe which was irritating. So for him then to charge us hundreds and hundreds of pounds for general wear and tear we are quite miffed! I wish I had thought twice about booking after reading all the other reviews about him taking deposits and not booked this house. There are soooo many other lovely properties to chose from, please don’t make the same mistake as me. I have noticed I can’t now find some of the other negative reviews I previously read, is he deleting them? I do hope he doesn’t delete this one too as potential travellers deserve to know the truth.

8 Mar 2018
We are of course saddened that you have left the worst ever review we have received in over five years, although not altogether surprised.
If I could begin my response by saying, we go to considerable effort to ensure Beechwood House meets or exceeds all our guest’s expectations, and it concerns us enormously if this is not achieved for whatever reason. You mention certain shortcomings such as the heating and dishwasher etc, but chose not to contact me at any time during the course of your stay for us to address such issues?
However careful guests are, the occasional accident will happen, and we treat such incidents and minor damage in the spirit in which they almost certainly occurred. With yourselves however, we did not consider the damage caused to be accidental, and for the third time only in over five years we considered a deduction from your breakage deposit appropriate. Your reference to many past clients being, in your words, ripped off, is wholly inaccurate and without substance, as is your claim that we can somehow cherry-pick reviews on TripAdvisor by removing the bad ones, which by its very definition is impossible to do.
We have always been slightly nervous of large Hen groups such as yours, but over the years we have found most to be very well behaved and respectful. Sadly, your party of 16 females in their mid to late 20’s did not demonstrate the level of respect we have become used to.
The mess our house keeper was confronted with after your departure did not result in any deduction being made, but was none the less indicative of both the lack of respect shown and attitude expressed by your party members.
For the purpose of clarity, the wear and tear you refer to was seven totally ruined bathroom towels, something you subsequently accepted, and a wooden floor being irrevocably damaged by what we can only assume to be a broken stiletto heel, resulting in literally hundreds of deep indentations across the entire floor. We do NOT consider this to be either accidental or reasonable wear & tear.
We provided you with immediate and dated photographic evidence of the damage caused, which you chose not to accept. We also obtained statements from the previous guests which you again chose not to accept. We obtained written confirmation from the launderette that the towels were stained beyond further use, which you finally did accept. We arranged a site visit and report from the company that originally laid the wooden floor, confirming both the nature of the damage and that the indentations were too deep for repair and that we had the choice of living with it or renewing the whole floor at a cost of over £2,000.
You proposed a figure of £78 for the replacement of towels, which I accepted, and I proposed a figure of £200 towards the permanently damaged wooden floor, which you accepted. The amount of £278 was therefore deducted from your breakage deposit and the balance of £222 transferred to your account the same day.
In conclusion, I feel your suggestion that I have unjustifiably deducted, again in your words, hundreds & hundreds of pounds, to be unreasonable, your accusation that I am ripping off guests almost slanderous, and your damming review wholly unjustified and without factual content.
Salamanca
Reviewed 17 December 2017 for a stay in December 2017

8 Mar 2018
It was a pleasure to have you all to stay at Beechwood House just before Christmas and I'm delighted that you have taken away so many happy memories.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing