“Absolutely delightful”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
“Absolutely delightful”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have had lunch here four times during our stay and each time the food and service were excellent. We booked a table inside for an evening meal and our expectations were surpassed. Our fish platter was the best we have tasted in a long time, fresh tasty and a delight to eat - we are struggling to decide if the recent disappointed reviewers were eating at the same place but then everyone is different I suppose! Thoroughly recommend this restaurant and thankyou to all the staff there who have made us feel so welcome. I only wish they would let me have the recipe for the wonderful apple preserve ;) I am going to try and replicate it but somehow I think mine will be a pale imitation.....see you again soon from Mr Steve and his lovely wife!

• Visited July 2014

• Turkish first
UK
“Fantastic place to eat”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

It's interesting the previous 2 reviews rated this restaurant as poor. We chose to eat inside, while the majority of people sat by the waters edge, and I can see why it's a beautiful setting.

The staff were friendly, attentive and quick with service. It was a busy evening, yet the service did not dissapoint and nor did the food.

Our main courses of wild lamb and lemon, and lamb slow pot cooked were fantastic; tender, packed with flavour and one of the best dishes I have tasted on the island.

The final walnut cake soaked in honey with ice cream was as light as a feather and delicious.

A great place to eat.

1 Thank Dr Martyn c
London
“Disappointed in food”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We tried this restaurant twice and had really high expectations after reading all great reviews. Sadly, despite the fact that we are not fussy eaters, we were disappointed with food. DOnt get me wrong, the service and waitresses are lovely, super friendly and attentive and for this i would give 5 stars, however food and prices let them down. the setting by the sea is lovely, though in the evening you might be wind swept and/or attacked by bugs (so we only sat outside once).also, the local cats are a nuisance if you sit outside.they are everywhere!plus you get people walking past you and looking into your plate as the tables are literally on the pavement.. anyway, Food is overpriced when you compare the prices to other places in skopelos town and unfortunately, having tried 4 different dishes and variety of starters, they lacked that extra something that we had at other restaurants and definitely the cost is higher that in other places. food wasnt bad but it wasnt great. i think this place is a little bit of a tourist trap as its the only place before you hit the town centre. i would say, dont waste your money and go to Kyratso's kitchen Taverna, almost at the very end of promanade. lovely family run restaurant, they will look after you there. we kept coming back! and value for money is amazing!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Girondoluna
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Terrible food does not make up for the great location.”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We visited this place as it had a fantastic position overlooking the harbour - and was away from the main harbour-side area where many 'tourist' restaurants appeared to be. We prefer to find the most traditional Greek restaurants as possible. This seemed to be suitable, very romantic and typically Greek.

We sat right at the water's edge. The waiters were friendly enough - to start with. The menu did not look too special and we had a few misgivings but decided to carry on and order something anyway. We ordered Shrimp Saganaki (basically like king prawns cooked in tomato and feta sauce) ... and a plate of traditional mixed Greek baked vegetables, to share as a 'meze'. And a quarter litre of wine. When the Shrimp Saganaki arrived my wife (who is a cook by trade) was not at all happy with the way it looked. The dish was only just warm and so was the food. Bearing in mind this was a seafood and cheese dish this is not good. The whole thing looked old and tired like maybe it had been sitting around a while. Then we discovered that although there were about 5 shrimp heads in the sauce there was only one actual body. I had started eating this when we discovered there were not any more for my wife! We called the waiter over and explained the problem - his response was a rather tetchy "It is not my fault!" and he took the dish away.

We then started on the vegetables - I would avoid in future any dish that is on the menu as 'selection of traditional vegetables' or something like that - this really does indicate a tourist orientated menu. The vegetables also were only just warm, and looked stodgy, very tired and over-cooked. They too looked like they had been cooked maybe the day before and re-heated. We decided to eat it as we had to eat something! It was a plate of the worst baked vegetables we had encountered.

A different waiter brought back the Shrimp Saganaki and said that 'this had never happened before' as in: all shrimp heads and no bodies. As they obviously have a big pot that they dish a portion out of it seems that either this is quite unlikely - unless the person dishing out always ensures that it is not all heads. Also looking at photos of Shrimp Saganaki the shrimps should be whole anyway - they shouldn't be disintegrating. Anyway - we very quickly discovered heads-without-tails: the dish was still only warm and so we decided that the food was inedible. My wife had even said presciently "If we eat this we are going to be ill!" We called the waiter back and asked him to take the dish away. We would eat the vegetables and drink the wine and leave.

When we had eaten the vegetables and drunk the wine we worked out the bill and left the exact money on the table (minus the prawn dish). We got up to go and another waiter hurried over asked us where we were going. We explained to him that we had paid what we owed but he tried to stop us leaving - he said he must get the boss and he hurried inside. I said to my wife, "Let's just go - we've left the cash" but by now she was livid and she decided she wanted to speak to the manager anyway. "Have it out with him!" We went inside and went up to the manager's desk where the staff were all having quite a discussion. My wife tried to explain why the food was not acceptable but instead of apologising we were faced with a number of the staff telling us the food was 'perfect' and was quite edible - one even said he had eaten the dish we had sent back. We finally left after quite an argument - the manager had finally apologised but looked very upset.

We then had a beer and an ice cream in bar before heading for the apartment and bed. My wife went off to sleep (we had twin beds) after a cup of camomile tea. I had about 2 mouthfuls of my camomile tea and put my head on the pillow. As I drifted off I suddenly vomited over the pillow case and sheets with no warning whatsoever. I turned the light on and headed for the bathroom. As I got in the bathroom before I could get my head over the toilet I was violently sick all over the place. I was very ill indeed - lost the contents of my stomach. I then had the task of cleaning up - luckily the shower was a wet-room style so I was able to wash the walls and floor down. I then stripped the bed and slept on a spare cover. My wife slept soundly the whole time!

Now - it could have been the glass of beer: it could have been the ice-cream: it may have been the two mouthfuls of camomile tea. But my guess is that (as my wife had predicted) the one bit of warm, dried-up prawn that I had eaten before we had realised the full problem with the dish was the cause. Vegetables, even over-cooked and tired vegetables, would not result in such a violent sickness. I had not even felt ill - it was a complete surprise when I was suddenly sick. And afterwards I was fine too. This was simply my body jettisoning something inside that it did not want. And so - we felt vindicated that our assessment was accurate.

We are very brave and we had Shrimp Saganaki again in another restaurant (Alexander's Garden Restaurant ) later in the holiday and that was really great - the prawns were whole, they were pink and fresh looking and the whole plate looked brighter and more appetising.

I rarely give a 1-star but in this case I am afraid it was deserved. I would have given a minus-1 for the food if that had been possible!

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank JumpinJackFlash60
Cook Islands
“Poor service,poor food”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The view makes this restaurant,everything else was below par. The waiter got the order wrong and we had to wait 30 mins for the correct meal to arrive.waiters appeared dis interested and aloof.

Visited July 2014