“One of the family!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Gebas B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“One of the family!”
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely relaxing, welcoming hotel. The Hotel is family run by a happy family unit. We went on one of their twice monthly organised walking then lunch tours held from September through until April. The views were amazing and the guide was informative but not spoiling off information all the time which was great. There was 30 people on the walk so best to book early on this walkers lunch was was excellent value at €12 for a three course lunch and the guided walk. We choose to stay the night before and the night of the walk which was a really relaxing way of doing it, and the room was spacious clean, apart from right under the bed. The bed was huge

The hotel also offers loads of other activities from Quad bikes to river rafting, organised walks to kayaking

Well worth another visit.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My third trip to this area and the Mariposa, and the standards have been very high every time. I see some negativity on here and wonder if it is the same hotel that people are staying at. This is not a 5 star hotel, it's a small hotel with few bedrooms and limited facilities BUT the owners, Mark and Sam, along with Tom and Cady, give 5 star service at a very realistic cost. Nothing is too much trouble for the family team. Food is great, no mistakes with my requirements as a celiac, and it's fresh - thanks Sam! We, lads, went mountain biking in the nearby Sierra Espuna, whilst our ladies chilled by the pool. We were given lifts with the bikes to avoid too much road riding,and the ladies to nearby Alhama for the local market. The hotel also picked us up from, and returned us to Alicante airport. We didn't hire a car but always one of the family made themselves available to chauffeur us around. We also went quad biking, again run by the hotel, which was a great way of seeing more of the fantastic location. Already thinking of a return trip next year.

Room Tip: Rooms are limited but none are bad. This is such a great location you won't be spending much tim...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Four of us arrived early afternoon, looking forward to our three night break at La Mariposa. Our initial greeting was not the most welcoming I have received, as we were promptly advised that our rooms would not be ready until 3 pm and we were requested to settle the remainder of our bill immediately. I asked if we could wait on the sofas in the bar area and was told that the area was not open, but we could wait on the terrace. I ordered drinks and was immediately asked how we wished to pay for these. Can I also make the point that, if comments are to be made by the staff about guests, these comments can be heard from the terrace. Rather upsetting to say the least.

Within minutes, we were advised that our rooms were, in fact, ready. So, after a long and tiring journey, we were glad to be able to drop off our suitcases and freshen up. Oh dear, the smell in both rooms was absolutely awful! I can only describe it as akin to raw sewage. The smell was present only on that side of the building and wasn't noticeable when on the terrace. However, we decided to wait before raising issue and, thankfully, after several hours the smell abated.

Next point. I went to the bar to enquire as to the menu for the evening meal. I was told the choices and I was happy with that. However, the wife then came over to us on the terrace to explain that it was only a small hotel with a small menu and that she needed to know if we wished to have evening meals so that she could cater accordingly - I fully understood that, which is why I had emailed the hotel two weeks prior to arrival (and received a confirmatory reply) requesting dinner on our first night. She advised that she had nothing to do with emails and would not have known. I was becoming increasingly confused by this point and found myself humming 'Welcome to the Hotel California' but not in a good way - I kept reverting to the line 'You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave'. I digress........

Look, the evening meal turned up and it was fine, the daughter who had greeted us less than warmly turned out to be a lovely young girl and thoroughly worthy of our tip. Yes, I know, we spent money but she was pleasant. The husband was friendly and we had a few chats. We had an early flight home and he made sure he was around to provide us with coffee, fruit juice, toast, etc. for which we were most appreciative.

We had a great time in and around the pool and an enjoyable holiday travelling around, plenty to do and see within a reasonable distance from La Mariposa. I probably would recommend La Mariposa to certain friends who wanted a quad biking/cycling/kayaking/no frills holiday in a great part of Spain.

Would we go back there for another holiday? Maybe. Would we receive a warm welcome after our honest comments? Maybe not.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Verity67
HospederialaMariposa, Owner at Hospederia la Mariposa, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
I am so very sorry that you were all upset being informed that the rooms were not ready when you arrived before the 3pm booking time, we try our utmost to give this information on all booking engines and all of our websites to ensure that people understand that we need time to clean the rooms between our guests leaving and new guests arriving, we do this so that we can clean the rooms properly otherwise we get complaints.
When people arrive a few hours early we always pull our cleaners out from the rooms that they are cleaning and ask them to complete the cleaning of early arrivals rooms which in actual fact we did with this group.
Opening times of the bar and restaurant are also stated on our websites and with all booking engines, however we do understand that not all people have the time to read these points and book anyway and then get upset when they arrive, we offer a 24 hour honesty bar available at all times to residents.
The raw sewage smell would be the fact that we are a rural hotel in the country surrounded by farmland, unfortunately we have no control over their activities especially when spreading their manure (although some days we would like to shoot them ;)) This happens very rarely but unfortunately it does happen.
This guest as with all guests are always welcome and we love to get constructive criticism, all we ask is that all guests know that they are coming to a rural hotel 1 star and perhaps study the information widely available to them prior to booking,
Manchester
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Turned up owner stood at the bar uninterested, bar sofa's smelt and looked dirty, room ok. We stayed a total of 2 hours and left paid the room bill, couldn't bear the thought of staying the night in a dirty and very unfriendly surrounding.
Hot tub lid on photo's do the place justice on the website. Terrace is filthy smokers place with dirty ashtrays full lying around.

Food in the restaurant albeit didn't try smelt like school dinners hotel staff eating with walkers and lining up for food.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mitzie69
Thank you very much for your review, obviously I remember you because you are the only people to have ever booked in and leave within an hour or so of your arrival, I apologise for looking uninterested in your booking in as I had 30 lunch guests who had just finished a 14km walk which I had guided and was dealing with drinks orders, unforgivable of me I know but my Daughter was dealing with your booking and I was busy dealing with these other customers, I can only apologise for that and hope that you will forgive me.
Our white leather bar sofas had been used by many dusty walkers ( It had not rained here for 4 months and everything is dusty on the tracks and trails) prior to your arrival and I can only apologise again that we were not there to inspect them prior to your use and realise how traumatic this must have been for you.
We had 30 members of our walking group who obviously arrived at the same time to eat, we also had 10 other guests to feed and was offering a 4 course buffet lunch, again I apologise profusely that people were lined up at the buffet table, it was totally unexceptable and we will ensure that it never happens again when people take a short cut through the restaurant when leaving reception.
I was shocked when you asked to book out after such a short time and I asked you at the time if everything was ok to which you replied "yes, everything is fine but we have realised that we need to be at our next hotel early for a meeting", obviously if we had knowledge of your disapproval we would have done our utmost to put things right, please contact me immediately and I will give you a full refund of all monies paid and a voucher for a free night at La Mariposa.
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Reviewed 31 August 2013

A group of us recently stayed at La Mariposa for one night to do some quad biking and kayaking and had a really enjoyable time. We arrived about 1pm and were informed that our rooms were ready for check in, which was great as it allowed us to get changed before heading off for our four hour quad biking and kayaking trip.
We arrived back dusty and thirsty at about 6pm and after a quick shower we all had a dip in the swimming pool before heading to the bar for a beer before getting ready for dinner. We were booked in half-board and all enjoyed a nice dinner with great service, before heading for bed and a good nights sleeps. The rooms were large and space and the beds were nice and comfortable which helped give a good nights sleep (or maybe it was the after dinner brandy's the did that).
In the morning we enjoyed a simple continental breakfast before heading off home.
La Mariposa offers comfortable accommodation at a great price, bar prices are also really good, add to that the friendly family who are you hosts and you have a winning formula.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This was our 3rd visit, including 2 quad biking tour weekends where we were also lucky enough to be there on one of their Music Nights which was excellent. The setting is beautiful, the staff are excellent - Tom, Mark and our quad bike tour guide and his information, the food is excellent and all home cooked and you can sit on the terrace enjoying the fantastic views as far as the eye can see of the mountains, the lagoon and the almond trees. The rooms too are spot on. You can either take part in one of their activities including guided walks, mountain biking, quad biking tours, kayaking or just chill in the great friendly atmosphere or by the poolside. We have 2 children too (16 and 13) and they love it here. Can't recommend this hotel enough and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We did the downhill mountain bike experience which was huge fun. The 4 course lunch on the hotel terrace was lovely, with fabulous views across the valley. Mark and Tom and our guide Bob made this a fantastic day. We will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jonathan P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gebas
Hospederia Bajo el Cejo
Olimpia Hotel
Olimpia Hotel
#1 of 2 in Totana
Tryp Hotel Rincon de Pepe

Been to Hospederia la Mariposa? Share your experiences!