I booked 4 nights at the Rummana, hoping that it would be a nice getaway for my wife and I in perfect seclusion. While the hotel was decent, secluded and "boutique" it was not.
Here's the laundry list of issues I have with the place:
1. It's located right beside the main road (maybe 10-20m in), and the reception area was small and cheap-looking (the water surrounding the reception area was brown and murky, and there was a Pepsi drinks fridge with a glass front there). When we first arrived, we thought "oh no", this was really going to be BAD...
2. The "deluxe" villa was small, with only the bed/living area and a small bathroom (1 sink).
3. The interior was painted in a ghastly peach/orange colour, and the lampshades and curtains had retro circle designs on them. Maybe you could argue that this is part of the "boutique" concept, but to us it was in poor taste.
4. The toilet had no ventilation fan. So guess what, the only ventilation from the WC was into the bedroom. Guess we can only take a cr@p when the other is not in the room!
5. The bathtub was surrounded by grey, untreated concrete (see pictures)! Oh my god, that gave it a very cheap feel. Again, maybe it appeals to people searching for something different, but it didn't do it for us.
6. The shower head was angled only in 1 direction, and it was too high, which meant that half the water was going over the far edge of the bathtub (and ending up on the floor). There was no shower curtain or anything to hold the water within the tub.
7. The water pressure in the toilet was alternating between strong and medium/weak, which meant the temperature was going from hot to cold. Very inconvenient and uncomfortable.
8. The pool/restaurant area was CONGESTED with deck chairs, which meant that you were 2m away from the next sunbather.
9. The pool/restaurant area was right next to another hotel/restaurant/bar (I couldn't be bothered to find out what it was), which played music loudly enough to disturb the peace over on Rummana's side. In fact, the most expensive "Rummana suite" was located right in front of the pool, which means you get to hear the music from the neighbouring place late into the night when you are trying to get some sleep!
10. As mentioned in point 9, the Rummana suite was not really by the beach. In fact, you have only a partial view of the sea from the villa.
11. The worker walkway (ok, that was a good idea to build a worker accessway around the perimeter of the compound) was right behind our villa, and the villa's sound insulation was so poor we could hear the workers walking and cycling (and sometimes running) past. In fact, we could even hear the guests walking outside the villa (which means, that the guests can hear what you are doing inside!!)
My wife and I were so upset that we transferred to another resort on Samui the next morning, suffering a 1-day cancellation fee (it was worth it). I shall not mention the name of the resort here, although I would say that while it was more expensive, it was definitely the kind of RESORT one would go for for a relaxing and laid back time.
Overall, if you are looking for a nice beach/island resort, the Rummana is not the place to go to. If you are looking for a clean/decent place to stay in Samui, and do not mind all that I mentioned above, then by all means go ahead. It sells itself as a "masterfully designed island chic".
Masterful it was not.
Designed? Maybe, but not something that we liked.
Island Chic? If concrete bathtubs and having guests hear everything you say in the room is considered island chic, then sure, I guess.
You can check out the photos that I took to see the size and the design (or lack thereof) of the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Rummana Boutique Resort, a little goes a long way. Masterfully designed in every aspect, choose from our "Island Chic" Deluxe Villas or Rummana Suites for a perfect stay, private, peaceful, well-equipped and fully stocked, you'll never want to leave. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Rummana Boutique Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rummana Boutique Hotel Lamai Beach
- Rummana Boutique Resort Ko Samui/Lamai Beach