“Not what I expected”

Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Singapore
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 3 August 2008

I booked 4 nights at the Rummana, hoping that it would be a nice getaway for my wife and I in perfect seclusion. While the hotel was decent, secluded and "boutique" it was not.

Here's the laundry list of issues I have with the place:

1. It's located right beside the main road (maybe 10-20m in), and the reception area was small and cheap-looking (the water surrounding the reception area was brown and murky, and there was a Pepsi drinks fridge with a glass front there). When we first arrived, we thought "oh no", this was really going to be BAD...

2. The "deluxe" villa was small, with only the bed/living area and a small bathroom (1 sink).

3. The interior was painted in a ghastly peach/orange colour, and the lampshades and curtains had retro circle designs on them. Maybe you could argue that this is part of the "boutique" concept, but to us it was in poor taste.

4. The toilet had no ventilation fan. So guess what, the only ventilation from the WC was into the bedroom. Guess we can only take a cr@p when the other is not in the room!

5. The bathtub was surrounded by grey, untreated concrete (see pictures)! Oh my god, that gave it a very cheap feel. Again, maybe it appeals to people searching for something different, but it didn't do it for us.

6. The shower head was angled only in 1 direction, and it was too high, which meant that half the water was going over the far edge of the bathtub (and ending up on the floor). There was no shower curtain or anything to hold the water within the tub.

7. The water pressure in the toilet was alternating between strong and medium/weak, which meant the temperature was going from hot to cold. Very inconvenient and uncomfortable.

8. The pool/restaurant area was CONGESTED with deck chairs, which meant that you were 2m away from the next sunbather.

9. The pool/restaurant area was right next to another hotel/restaurant/bar (I couldn't be bothered to find out what it was), which played music loudly enough to disturb the peace over on Rummana's side. In fact, the most expensive "Rummana suite" was located right in front of the pool, which means you get to hear the music from the neighbouring place late into the night when you are trying to get some sleep!

10. As mentioned in point 9, the Rummana suite was not really by the beach. In fact, you have only a partial view of the sea from the villa.

11. The worker walkway (ok, that was a good idea to build a worker accessway around the perimeter of the compound) was right behind our villa, and the villa's sound insulation was so poor we could hear the workers walking and cycling (and sometimes running) past. In fact, we could even hear the guests walking outside the villa (which means, that the guests can hear what you are doing inside!!)

My wife and I were so upset that we transferred to another resort on Samui the next morning, suffering a 1-day cancellation fee (it was worth it). I shall not mention the name of the resort here, although I would say that while it was more expensive, it was definitely the kind of RESORT one would go for for a relaxing and laid back time.

Overall, if you are looking for a nice beach/island resort, the Rummana is not the place to go to. If you are looking for a clean/decent place to stay in Samui, and do not mind all that I mentioned above, then by all means go ahead. It sells itself as a "masterfully designed island chic".

Masterful it was not.
Designed? Maybe, but not something that we liked.
Island Chic? If concrete bathtubs and having guests hear everything you say in the room is considered island chic, then sure, I guess.

You can check out the photos that I took to see the size and the design (or lack thereof) of the place.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Too many to list
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stormweaver

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Miami
Reviewed 15 July 2008

This place is in a beautiful location of Lamai Beach, it is off the main drag and very close to grandfather and grandmother rocks. The grounds are very nice. My two main problems with this establishment is the on site food and the service. The food is very limited and unexciting, for some people it might be just fine, but with a vegetarian diet it was not so great. Next the employees feel very strange, it almost feels like us against you and all they want to do is squeeze every last cent out of your wallet while you are there. For instance, when I was eating at the breakfast buffet and went up for a second helping of eggs, the guy was considering if I could have anymore or not. which obviously felt really funny. He gave them to me after his obvious thought process. All in all this place is nice but with weird undertones from the staff. the room was beautiful but for some reason the shower would get hot and cold while I was in it and I was there for three days and must of took about 6 showers and it happend every time. I wouldn't totally write this place off your list of possiblities but when there are so many options and you are paying a good amount of money you want things perfect.

• Liked — the gardens
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank starman2001
Malaysia
Reviewed 1 July 2008

We stayed at the Rummana for 7 nights and loved it. We are already planning our next trip there. Service was very good & everyone went out of the way to help. The location is near Lamai town & some great restaurants.
The beach at the hotel was clean & quiet. Had a massage at the spa which was great. Just beware of the massage lady on the beach, she's nice but the massage was bad. Don't even try it!! I think her name is Mali.
There is also a diving school right opposite as well as a family mart & 7-eleven. Food, laundry & other services are very reasonably priced. The hotel also has wi-fi. Rooms were clean & smelled nice.
Rummana has lovely gardens all around with lots of water features. Nice peaceful place with lots of privacy. It's a perfect romantic gateaway. Value for money but don't go there expecting facilities of a 5 star hotel. Go there if you are looking for someplace clean & quiet with excelent service.
Not the ideal place for children though.

• Liked — Personalized
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DetectiveBarnaby
derby
Reviewed 8 June 2008

I went to the Rummana boutique spa hotel in early may and had a relaxing time! On arrival I was greeted by the hotel manager and another receptionist. I was seated and they gave me a fresh flower garland, warm flannels and a fruit drink. I was then shown down a quaint pathway to my bungalow. I passed lots of plants, flowers, water features etc. It was very pretty. My room was dressed beautifully. I had a massive double bed, seating area, all the mod cons really. The bathroom was spacious and had good quality toiletries. Breakfast was good and catered for all nationalities. There was cereal, bread, cakes, fruit, juices, cooked breakfast etc. During the day and in the evening the menu was based around seafood and traditional thai dishes and was prepared freshly to a high standard. It was very reasonably priced too. The service was exceptional. There was a nice pool with its own small waterfall and plenty of sunloungers for all the guests.
The spa is a must, and I indulged several massages and other treatments.
Overall i would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend. I arrived tired and stressed and left renewed and refreshed (with a great tan!)
Enjoy Rummana!

• Liked — The high level of service from the friendly staff
  • Disliked — That I couldn't stay longer than a week!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo