“Great location, good value for money”
Review of Marina Villa

Marina Villa
Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed at Marina Villa for 10 nights and are very satisfied. The hotel is simple but has some very nice qualities and a very good price. The location is pefect being close to the beach and to the shopping street, while at the same time not being in a too busy and loud area. Our room was very nice and had AC, refrigerator and a safe. The balcony was great with a view over both the sea and in the other direction the mountains.

The hotel garden is nice with two pools and the restaurant is ok, with a great view of the beach and sea. The hotel also provides massage right by the beach in a very beautiful setting and good price. If you miss a breakfast buffet, which Marina Villa does not have, try the nearby hotel Lamai Wanta which serves it for 250 baht.

On the negative side, the wifi didn't work great. The connection was slow and disappeared completely from time to time. Also on the third floor, there was not much pressure in the shower. And our AC had to be rebooted every now and then to keep it working. The restaurant toilet was not fresh. It didn't always have paper and the soap was diluted with water during our entire stay. The hotel could not help us make a booking over the phone to a spa. It was fine, since there were travel agencies one minute away who could do that, but you would still expect your hotel to help you with these things.

Despite the shortcomings we were overall satisfied and think we got very good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank little_woman_85
There are newer reviews for Marina Villa

Reviewed 28 December 2012

I spent 4 nights in this place with my husband and two other friends.
Clean spacious rooms. Right next to the beautiful green waters and crashing waves of the Lamai beach.
Restaurant and massage place by the beach. You could sit in the restaurant for hours reading or listening to music
Bikes available at the hotel for rent.

On the Lamai Shopping street - shoppings, restaurants, pubs, bars and department stores.
Waterfall 5km away - can take a bike - swim and shower under the waterfall
Overall an amazing place to spend 3-4 days.

Restaurants tested:
Bad food at the Italian place La Palma and wi-fi does not work
Decent food at the Mexican place next to La Palma..can't remember the name of the place.."Barrito" somthing.
Indian Restaurant - "Hot curry" or" Indian Curry" - excellent food
Food at the restaurant is not great but breakfast menu is good.
Could not find a great Thai food place on the Lamai beach but there is one on the way to the waterfall..amazing view and decent Thai food.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms on the ground floor - slightly less private
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2012

i have one time is 5 day per year for holidays
I never know before about to do in holidays but is here hotel is good answer to my lift style
I think for next year to come back again and then i woulde like to recomment to every body friends

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank topaitawan
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We've not got great things to say about this place as we got off on the wrong foot.

We flew to Koh Samui from Bangkok and upon realising that the reception would be closed when we arrived we emailed the hotel to see if this would be a problem. A one liner came back saying "call this number upon arrival", ok. We arrived at 11.00pm and called the number we had been given, which is also printed all over reception as the 'emergency number'. By 11.20 no one had yet to answer the phone, other guests recommended we ask the supermarket or hotel next door to contact the owner as they know them, so the supermarket did this for us, luckily they were still around and other guests were in the know. 11.30pm a guy turned up and said "sorry my brother has the phone, but he's tired", oh we are so sorry, lucky it wasn't an emergency.

We checked into our room and whilst it looked generally clean it was dated, and basic, the sheets in particular I found disgusting, they smelt clean but were covered in yellow stains and the spare bed that we didn't use, covered in body hair.

We asked reception to change them the next day, which they did, but the next ones were marginally better and they had nothing to say when we mentioned what happened the previous evening.

There are 2 pools, we only used the top one, it's ok, found the tiles a bit sharp. Beds are dated, some cushions have the insides falling out. You have to use your bath towels by the pool, they don't provide you with them, too expensive reception say, mmmmm.

The beach is accessible via the back and is very nice, the best thing the hotel has going for it, along with being just on the end of the main strip of bars and restaurants.

We never used the restaurant in the hotel, didn't appeal to us.

The grounds are nice, but you don't sleep outdoors.

From our experience we wouldn't go back here or recommend it to any of our friends, first impressions count. It's not awful but they need to make a bit more of an effort, if that doesn't bother you, it's ok for a basic place to put your head if you get it for the right price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thewelshkiwiconnection
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Since 12 years I come back everytime I am in Koh Samui in this small, but very nice hotel. I have seen a number of improvement. I looked elsewhere but the price, the situation in Lamai, the quality of the rooms make me come back.
It is a very simple hotel, service very nice at the reception could be improved in the (good) restaurant

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have stayed at Marina Villa several times over the years but never again. I found the prices to be higher so thought I would just stay one night & look around. The girl at the desk told me if I stayed longer (1 week) I could have a discount. I could only stay 5 nights and I was refused any consideration price wise. I see now I could have rented the room for a lot cheaper on line in advance from tripadvisor also...urgh! I also rented a motorbike and got charged my last day even though I told them I didn't need or use it (I handed the key in an hour too late) even though I told them at 8:30 a.m. When checking out, I would be charged 3% more for using a credit card. They said the bank was only a few blocks away to get cash but wouldn't let me take the motorbike I paid for that day and didn't use....now I am getting MAD. I just showered & now had to hike to the bank and begin my trip to Bangkok mad & sweaty!! The front desk personal were rude, confrontational & very slow. They counted the money 4 times...used a calculator 3 times and took 5 minutes for my change. The toilet was never cleaned the whole 5 days (ring around the water line). The sink had black mold around the caulking and many ants. There are too many other better value hotels on this beach who appreciate your business.....keep looking.

Room Tip: only one or two face the ocean view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SiamJim123
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed April 2012 for 10 nights. Nice large clean rooms, great staff and a restaurant on the beach front that you could afford to eat in every day if you wish. Great location and two swimming pools are a bonus.

Room Tip: I would choose a ground floor room, and try Mr Pu's seafood restaurant down the road if its not...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
#16 of 51 in Lamai Beach
Samui Laguna Resort
Samui Laguna Resort
#39 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to Marina Villa? Share your experiences!