“Good location”
Review of Marina Villa

Marina Villa
Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed here for 10days beginning of May. The front of the hotel is slightly set back from the main street and the hotel backs onto the beach. Plus there is two pools. We booked through Agoda and had no problems whatsoever checking in. We were advised of which rooms were available and asked which we would prefer. The staff that we had dealings with were always friendly. We didn't eat at the restaurant (mainly because of other reviews) at all so can't comment on the service. Our room was always cleaned well. They only supplied us with two towels which we had to use at the pool as well as none were supplied at the pools. But you could get extra if you asked for them. Both pools were reasonably well maintained (yes there was a few tiles missing). The pools were cleaned on a regular basis but as its near the beach you can't always keep the sand out. The deck chair cushions near the pools were fine but some of the ones on the beach had seen better days..... The hotel grounds were always kept clean. I had one of the best foot massages from one of the girls at the massage place at the back of the hotel (on the beach). Also note that no umbrellas or hairdryer are supplied and we only received a bar of soap on our last day, which didn't bother us we just bought a bar of soap at the Family mart up the road. The room is basic but we were quite happy with that. We didn't hear any noise from the bars up on the main road. There is plenty of restaurants within 5 minutes walk and most of the girly bars are in the side streets. Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would have no problems staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LiseCh

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed four nights with my parents and a couple of friends. The rooms are neat and clean, the service at the front counter is good once you get past the language barrier. Both pools are great, but they could do with a little more attention. And it's really close to the thick of Lamai.The only real issue we had was with the service in the restaurant. I didn't eat there, but watched my parents, friends and other customers receive laughable service.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

Hotel has everything, great location , 2 sing pools, beach, restaurant overlooking the sea however it does need bit of renovation. Tiles are missing in the swimming pools, sun beds are old and covers are mouldy. There are dogs and cats running everywhere. Just don't get ..could be easily 5 star of they wanted. We stayed in cheaper rooms or 1000bht an nite and was grand for value.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank KarolaVicky
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I stayed 9 nights in Lamai at Marina Villa. The booking was made on the internet. When I arrived they did have my booking and reception staff were warm, friendly and smiling. I was asked on what floor I wanted to have my room and one staff member came with me to show me to my room. She even showed me several rooms to choose from. The towels were missing in the room and were brought to the room within minutes.

I often slept inn and had the 'Do not disturb' sign out. Housekeeping always respected the sign and waited for me to leave the room.

The restaurant is an interesting one. I had one breakfast and one lunch there and decided not to go back there to eat. It is like the staff are running a competition where you win a medal if you speak as little words as possible with the customer. No hello, no goodbye. The only piece of conversation was the amount on the bill. The attitude came across as an 'I don't really care if anybody eats here or not' attitude. But this problem is easily solved as there are plenty of restaurants around the hotel and there is a supermarket across the road.

I rented a motorbike from the hotel at 150THB per day and it was all hassle free. The bike had absolutely no petrol in it (Not sure if they take it all out).

I would stay here again but would avoid the restaurant with a passion. The food by the way was not bad and not good..let's say average.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Beach pleasant, Pools pleasant, Room and facilities excellent, and the restaurant had good food,
But if you want service in the dining room,Forget it!!
The food is great, but the waitresses need a good swift kick up the Butt,or better training so as to be more attentive to guests.
Waitresses chatting together and ignoring guests is just not acceptable.
Its obvious the restaurant manager needs to pick up his act,as staff will only do what they are told or trained to do.
Also if you like Room service occasionally as a treat,that is almost impossible to get, and if you do manage to get it,it is begrudgingly given.
I dont know or care what the wait staff get paid, thats not my problem,service still must be of a suitable standard.
Overall this is an excellent property to stay at,its relaxing and comfortable with good facilities.
Also there are plenty of outside facilities a walk away such as superette, restaurants and liquor supplies.

Room Tip: Always view any room before you check in,and check that all the rooms facilites work like air con,Fr...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank n0mad4u
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We stayed in a bungalow and it was a nice, large room with a pretty comfy King size bed and for the price we paid we can't complain. We had a good working A/C, fridge and TV with some English-speaking channels.
The bathroom was very clean and even though there were no shower curtain (as in many places in Asia) it didn't bother us, the water disappeared quickly from the floor.
The pools where great and a lot of sunbeds to choose from, and it's only steps to the beach. We ate a couple of times at the restaurant and it was pretty average, there is lots of other restaurants nearby if you want a change of scenery.
If we ever come back to Koh Samui we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

marina villa does have the potential to be a lovely hotel however they do not pay enough attention to detail and many parts of the hotel were run down. there is lots of rubbish throughout the grounds of the hotel. the sun beds are totally ripped and falling apart. the pool area was ok however it was way too crowded for the size of the pool. the rooms were nice and large however, upon turning the air-con on there was often a gross smell. another problem with the rooms was that you could always here people above you and there was a constant sounds of furniture scraping against the floor tiles above. the reception staff were friendly at times however one lady started yelling at us as we were leaving one morning because we took our complimentary bottle of water outside the hotel (which is really odd!!) they also took 48 hours to do our washing which they promised would only take 12 hours. Lamai itself is not a very nice area. There are much better places to stay in Samui. Try Bophut!

• Stayed: February 2013