“Beautiful Resort”

Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
NYC
“Beautiful Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We booked a seaview room which came with a big balcony with a couch and table, king size bed, flat screen tv and free wifi. The pool wasn't that big but it never felt crowded. The pool bathroom was gross.. it always smelled horrible and the toilets were really dirty looking.They have more rooms than chairs and beds by the pool so people wake up early to claim their spot. They have a towel system where you get a beach bag that you place outside your room by 9pm and they pick up your used towels and replace them by 9am the next day in the basket.
Breakfast had a live egg station where you could order almost anything. In addition, they always had potatoes, bread, salad, bacon and various thai dishes available.
The beach was nice but you need to be careful where you enter the water because many spots have large sharp rocks on the ocean floor.
The hotel has several restaurants within walking distance, a 7-11 and a family mart for waters, alcohol and snacks. Their spa prices were very cheap but good quality massages. An hour long massage was 300-500 baht for one hour.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank c0c0la
GM-Fenixresortsamui, General Manager at Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for reviewing us via tripadvisor and bringing us some spot that we might have missed. I will get back to my team and work with them to make sure all points you have mentioned have been take care well. We are happy to hear that you were having a good time and enjoy the facilities we provide for every guests in hotel. We hope to have a chance to welcome you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Westwood, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel on June 27th for a January trip checking in on New Years Day. I called the day before to confirm my reservations while I was in Bangkok and the front desk Maeow told me that my reservation was canceled. I told her that there is no way as hotels.com had confirmed with me twice that we were all set. She asked that I call back in two hours which I did and then she told me that we were confirmed and everything was ok.

When I arrived at the hotel she sat us down and told us that there might have been a computer error that cancelled our trip and she was positive that it wasnt them. She told me that she can put us up in a different hotel for the night. We had no other option but to go there. We stayed at the Banburee hotel which was a dump. The room felt like nobody stayed in it and wasnt cleaned thoroughly. We were told that our hotel at the Fenix would be ready at noon and we would be picked up.

We were picked up at noon but our room was not ready until 4pm. They gave us towels to sit by the pool but no chairs were available.

HERE'S THE KICKER, I called hotels.com and the FENIX admitted to being overbooked for the night. Hotels.com told me that there is no communication with the hotel regarding the cancellation of my booking. Hotels.com told me to call them when I get back.

I asked the Fenix for proof of the so called cancellation upon checkout and my entire reservation had strips of white paper cut and taped on it to hide the confirmation information. I asked Joy at the front desk to provide me with copies and she started taping the document right in front of me white white strips of paper. Then when I told her I want it as is she said she can not give it to me.

I have requested 1.5 days of a refund from hotels.com and they are waiting for the hotel to get back to them. I would actually write a really good review about this hotel because it was very nice. However, having paid for the 1.5 days that I did not physically stay in the hotel is absurd to me. SO BE VERY CAREFUL.

They admitted to getting a lot of walk ins during new years AND another group that ended up staying the same night at the Banburee also encountered the same problem

I WILL EDIT THIS REVIEW AND GIVE THEM A VERY GOOD REVIEW IF I GET REFUNDED BUT UNTIL THEN I MUST SAY IT WAS A SCARY AND CARELESS MISTAKE MADE BY THE HOTEL. I SAW THE PROOF MYSELF AND THEY TRIED TO COVER IT UP

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron G
First of all I would like to thank you for your valuable time review us through tripadvisor. After investigation with the team founded that we have received your reservation through hotel.com/Expedia twice in the same day. First time it said Booking confirm, second time another booking under the same guest name and period said cancelled by traveler. So we did thought that guest book and cancelled in the same day regarding the voucher sent from hotel.com/Expedia, so we have remove you reservation of the system. Another main problem is booking during new year period is very busy, all room are sold out. When you show up at the resort, we have no room left even we already found out that there's a misunderstanding on your reservation. We tried to find a good hotel to relocate you on your first night, but other hotel in the same are are also fully booked. But the room at our resort on the next day that you return is ready by 2pm as my GSA informed you before you went down to swimming pool area. All rooms check in at hotel is ready by 2pm, never later than that. I still have 2 voucher with me, the GSA doesn't cover up anything but the rate because voucher for hotel and guest have different details. We would like to show the 2 vouchers to you how come we misunderstanding. But those voucher can't be release from the hotel. I apologize that I didn't aware that you were unhappy during your stay because we have never received any complaint while you were here. But do know now and really apologize that I don't have a chance to make it better for your while you were here.
Nice, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We got a room with a seaview huge bed. Overall it is very clean and rooms are nice. Right on the beach ( too much actually environmentally speaking it's a shame ). The staff were very nice they speak english and were always smiling at us ( even if we are not good tippers : )

the laundry just opposite is very cheap so don't bother with the expensive hotel laundry service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ckramerrr
GM-Fenixresortsamui, General Manager at Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
First of all I would like to thank you for spending your valuable time reviewing our beach resort on Tripadvisor. It's been a pleasure to learn that our goal of making every guest check in at Fenix Beach Resort Samui happy and have the best holiday on Lamai Beach, Koh Samui. We promise to keep our resort and service at high standard and even higher. We hope in the future, we'll have a chance to welcome you again. All the best for your 2014.
Winfield, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This hotel is not as it seems. These people brought it from the Mercure chain and using their previous standard to get their so-called rating, which is the Trip Advisor only! They do not have a genuine 4 Star rating, but charge 4 Star prices. The hotel is dirty and falling into pieces. The toilet seats are dirty, discoloured and broken. The food is old and fly infested. The pool is dirty and covered with broken tile pieces. The beach is dirty and next to the hotel the sewage line goes right into the ocean. People swimming will be exposed to filth and bacteria from the sewage! This hotel is directly located on a main road and the noise will keep you awake all night! The staff is lazy and when there is a emergency and you need new bedding in the night, don't worry, you will NOT get it and need to sleep on the hard bed without linen and bedding as it happened to us! Excuse no 24 hour maid service! This hotel is in fact only a 2.5 Star hotel. Oh, and to top it all off, the pleasure of seeing dead rat bodies on the steps is common!

Room Tip: Get to other hotels and call them directly before you book and asked them who gave them the rating a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Patricia W
Thank you for review our hotel through tripadvisor. I'm sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience at our resort. But please be informed that the sewage pipe line is not belong to the hotel, we do have full waste water treatment at our property. We have never drain anything into the sea. In opposite we'll do anything to keep the water and beach clean, it's better for our long term business. Our Fitness Attendant and Gardener do make sure that our beachfront are cleaned every morning, they do it non stop. We do aware of our swimming pool condition. Last year we have replace the spike boundary with new material. The business is also need to be running, so we have limited time in maintenance, the season didn't allow us to completed the whole job in one time. Next project is to replace the tile in the swimming pool. However before the next project start, our engineer is fixing it by installing tile under the water. Our resort didn't have housekeeping service after 11pm. The night manager is not allow to access to the linen room. When you called for linen changing at 3am, he can't get anybody to do it for you. But we are now making sure that the night manager is able to access to the linen room after 11pm. The food serving at breakfast are fresh cooking every morning and keep refilling until 10.30am. For the cleanliness, i'm sure that our cleaner who's working from 6am - 11pm did make sure that the area under her responsibility are tidy and clean. Anyway me and my team do apologize that we cannot make you satisfy during your stay. We will try harder to bring out resort to a higher standard.
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Overall experience was amazing, check in was quick and the reception allowed us to view a couple of rooms before deciding which room. We came in late around 8pm and the receptionist recommend a restaurant just 20m next door, a great thai seafood restaurant with a good view, good food with reasonable price. We had great dinner. Our room was lovely, with huge window and private balcony overlooking the pool and ocean. The bed is comfortable with a lot of power plugs available everywhere. tips. you need a car or motorbike to get around and try the lamai view point around 600m from the hotel, quite a bit of a hike, but the view is breathtaking.

Room Tip: you need a car or motorbike to get around and try the lamai view point around 600m from the hotel, q...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Agung S
GM-Fenixresortsamui, General Manager at Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Agung, thank you for your valuable time reviewing our beach resort through tripadvisor. It's has been a pleasure to know that you were enjoying your stay at Fenix Beach Resort Samui. We promise to keep our standard high. Looking forward to welcome you again in the future.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

A great value for money resort with great service.
Had to reschedule my trip due to an untimely injury. Emailed the resort's main email and the GM replied. Managed to book the ground floor villa since I can't climb stairs properly.

Location: A 20 mins drive to busy Chaweng, 30 mins from airport. Quiet and peaceful. Rent a car and you can get around easily. Its Samui, you find food and convenience store at every corner. Its Thailand, so any food won't go wrong.

Room: Stayed 5 nights at Villa 1. Beach Front. spacious with a Jacuzzi. Clean. Limited cable channels though.

Breakfast: Decent spread. Excellent Service

Lamai: The Sunday walking street is a great place to eat-walk or walk-eating. Shopping is optional.

Room Tip: Villa 1 is closest to the beach, you wake up to the sounds of waves every day...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ericTAK
GM-Fenixresortsamui, General Manager at Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Eric, thank you for your valuable time spending on reviewing our beach resort through tripadvisor. It's a pleasure to know that you were having a wonderful time at Fenix Beach Resort Samui and impress with our service. I hope you leg get well now. Looking forward to welcome you again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I would highly advise this hotel to everyone who likes a nice comfort stay! Modern rooms, clean, nice swimming pool and pleasant staff. My best hotel in Thailand untill now.

They have a good restaurant wich is open till 23:00. They have a wide choice during breakfast and somebody who is baking eggs on request.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey C
GM-Fenixresortsamui, General Manager at Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Jeffrey, thank you for reviewing our beach resort through tripadvisor. It's has been a pleasure for me and my team to know that you were enjoying your stay at Fenix Beach Resort Samui. We promise to keep good standard or even driving to higher standard to make sure that our guests will receive the most comfortable and best service here during their stay. Looking forward to welcome you again in the nearly future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel
Thai House Beach Resort
Thai House Beach Resort
#8 of 50 in Lamai Beach

Been to Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort? Share your experiences!