“Great hotel and location”

Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We had a seaview room on the top floor, which was fantastic. It was difficult not to sit on the balcony for the whole week we were there! The room was great but perhaps a bit of touching up could be done as there were a few small signs of wear and tear, but nothing to spoil the experience. Staff were always very pleasant but not overly friendly (perhaps we had been spoilt at the Rimping Village the week before). There have been comments about the breakfast, but to be honest it was adequate. The location was good as we wanted somewhere a little quieter but with a choice of a few restaurants within walking distance. Would definitely return

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-Fenixresortsamui, General Manager at Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for spending your time reviewing our beach resort on Tripadvisor. It's been a pleasure to know that you were having a wonderful holiday at Fenix Beach Resort Samui and thank you for pointing out the spot that required attention. The retouching work is scheduled. Looking forward to welcome you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort

Reviewed 28 February 2014

This hotel has a lot of good qualities, particularly it's staff and bar. As a large party it was a great all round place for most, however for anyone who is perhaps older the concrete stairs from the ground floor which is road level down to the restaurant and then down to pool and sea are a major problem. There is no handrail and no elevator which did cause a minor accident.
There is a very good disabled room on the road level but then no easy access to rest of hotel except reception.
There is no such thing as single beds...the rooms have large bases which take 1 enormous mattress or 2 very large singles.....you can have single duvets. Good idea to ask for top sheets as duvets too warm...they are not generally supplied
The pool need restoration urgently as the glass mosaic tiles are coming off and sharp edges caused a number of cuts on some of our parties feet......I believe it is scheduled.
Unfortunately the sea in this beach has small coral lumps around which are painful if stepped on.....beach shoes are really necessary to enjoy the sea here
Plenty of beds and lovely atmosphere and enjoyed by all though with the mentioned reservations
Breakfast good and plentiful. The restaurant 2doors up either by beach or along road is excellent...Sabeinglae (something like that) very quick and delicious
We use samuiislandexplorer for all our transfers and trips..run by an English lady...Michelle.
She is always good value and will tailor trips to suit you...we hired a driver to take us all around where we wanted to go for the day at very good prices.
If stairs and the beach are not priority this could be the hotel for you

Room Tip: Be aware all rooms will have stairs to negotiate the rest of the hotel in the main complex
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Joan, thank you for spending your valuable time reviewing our beach resort on tripadvisor.. Thank you for also point out some spots that need attention. Your are right, the swimming pool is schedule to renovate in next low season. The resort was cover the area of from the road level down to the beach, so we can't avoid levels and stairs. I'm really sorry that it cause you an inconvenience moving around our property. I do happy to hear that you were enjoying a service at our Beach Bar and happy with our breakfast. Thank you for chosen to stay at Fenix Beach Resort for your trip to Koh Samui, Thailand.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

The room, bed and bathroom were all great. They have big bath and beach towels. All the staff were lovely and helpful especially the bar staff. We stayed at the beach bar for hours while they helped us learn Thai phrases. The happy hour prices were a fantastic deal. The restaurant food was delicious, although the buffet breakfast was average. We rented a scooter through the hotel and had no issues.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-Fenixresortsamui, General Manager at Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Chloe, thank you for spending your valuable time reviewing our beach resort through Tripadvisor. It's been a pleasure to know that you were having a wonderful time at our beach resort. We hope to have a chance to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed here before traveling to koh Phangan and liked it enough to quickly return to recover from the excess of the full moon party. It provided the luxury and relaxation we needed. Gym facilities were basic but can't complain when your on the treadmill running in front of a beautiful sea view. Great location, nice beach and amazing little reggae bar set into the rock just round the corner highly recommended! only downfall was the poolside toilet smelt rancid and the food could have been better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
GM-Fenixresortsamui, General Manager at Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thank you for spending your value time reviewing us on Tripadvisor. It's been a pleasure to know that you were having a wonderful time at our beach resort and thank you so much for bringing up the spot need attention. I and my team will treat the problem well to make sure that your stay is even better. Looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

We spent two weeks here and enjoyed ourselves very much. The rooms were comfortable and the bed was HUGE. Nice beach. Very friendly, helpful staff. Nice bar and pool area. Meals ordered from the menu were usually good, but the breakfast buffet was nothing to rave about. The eggs were made to order but aside from that the food was often cold and the fresh fruit and meats, etc were left in the open without a cover on them so flies were an issue.

Many reviewers have mentioned that the rocks in the water, but if one wears water shoes the coral was not a problem. The water was lovely and warm and clean.

Tandem kayaks were available to use at no charge which we took advantage of a few times.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-Fenixresortsamui, General Manager at Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear valued guests, thank you for spending your time review our beach resort through Tripadvisor.
It's been a pleasure to know that you were enjoy your staying with us that you were satisfied with our product and services. The breakfast serve is in a process of improvement, thank you for pointing it out. We love to hear what our guest think! So we can even make it better for you. We hope to welcome you again in the nearly future.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We booked a seaview room which came with a big balcony with a couch and table, king size bed, flat screen tv and free wifi. The pool wasn't that big but it never felt crowded. The pool bathroom was gross.. it always smelled horrible and the toilets were really dirty looking.They have more rooms than chairs and beds by the pool so people wake up early to claim their spot. They have a towel system where you get a beach bag that you place outside your room by 9pm and they pick up your used towels and replace them by 9am the next day in the basket.
Breakfast had a live egg station where you could order almost anything. In addition, they always had potatoes, bread, salad, bacon and various thai dishes available.
The beach was nice but you need to be careful where you enter the water because many spots have large sharp rocks on the ocean floor.
The hotel has several restaurants within walking distance, a 7-11 and a family mart for waters, alcohol and snacks. Their spa prices were very cheap but good quality massages. An hour long massage was 300-500 baht for one hour.

1  Thank c0c0la
GM-Fenixresortsamui, General Manager at Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for reviewing us via tripadvisor and bringing us some spot that we might have missed. I will get back to my team and work with them to make sure all points you have mentioned have been take care well. We are happy to hear that you were having a good time and enjoy the facilities we provide for every guests in hotel. We hope to have a chance to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel on June 27th for a January trip checking in on New Years Day. I called the day before to confirm my reservations while I was in Bangkok and the front desk Maeow told me that my reservation was canceled. I told her that there is no way as hotels.com had confirmed with me twice that we were all set. She asked that I call back in two hours which I did and then she told me that we were confirmed and everything was ok.

When I arrived at the hotel she sat us down and told us that there might have been a computer error that cancelled our trip and she was positive that it wasnt them. She told me that she can put us up in a different hotel for the night. We had no other option but to go there. We stayed at the Banburee hotel which was a dump. The room felt like nobody stayed in it and wasnt cleaned thoroughly. We were told that our hotel at the Fenix would be ready at noon and we would be picked up.

We were picked up at noon but our room was not ready until 4pm. They gave us towels to sit by the pool but no chairs were available.

HERE'S THE KICKER, I called hotels.com and the FENIX admitted to being overbooked for the night. Hotels.com told me that there is no communication with the hotel regarding the cancellation of my booking. Hotels.com told me to call them when I get back.

I asked the Fenix for proof of the so called cancellation upon checkout and my entire reservation had strips of white paper cut and taped on it to hide the confirmation information. I asked Joy at the front desk to provide me with copies and she started taping the document right in front of me white white strips of paper. Then when I told her I want it as is she said she can not give it to me.

I have requested 1.5 days of a refund from hotels.com and they are waiting for the hotel to get back to them. I would actually write a really good review about this hotel because it was very nice. However, having paid for the 1.5 days that I did not physically stay in the hotel is absurd to me. SO BE VERY CAREFUL.

They admitted to getting a lot of walk ins during new years AND another group that ended up staying the same night at the Banburee also encountered the same problem

I WILL EDIT THIS REVIEW AND GIVE THEM A VERY GOOD REVIEW IF I GET REFUNDED BUT UNTIL THEN I MUST SAY IT WAS A SCARY AND CARELESS MISTAKE MADE BY THE HOTEL. I SAW THE PROOF MYSELF AND THEY TRIED TO COVER IT UP

1  Thank Aaron G

First of all I would like to thank you for your valuable time review us through tripadvisor. After investigation with the team founded that we have received your reservation through hotel.com/Expedia twice in the same day. First time it said Booking confirm, second time another booking under the same guest name and period said cancelled by traveler. So we did thought that guest book and cancelled in the same day regarding the voucher sent from hotel.com/Expedia, so we have remove you reservation of the system. Another main problem is booking during new year period is very busy, all room are sold out. When you show up at the resort, we have no room left even we already found out that there's a misunderstanding on your reservation. We tried to find a good hotel to relocate you on your first night, but other hotel in the same are are also fully booked. But the room at our resort on the next day that you return is ready by 2pm as my GSA informed you before you went down to swimming pool area. All rooms check in at hotel is ready by 2pm, never later than that. I still have 2 voucher with me, the GSA doesn't cover up anything but the rate because voucher for hotel and guest have different details. We would like to show the 2 vouchers to you how come we misunderstanding. But those voucher can't be release from the hotel. I apologize that I didn't aware that you were unhappy during your stay because we have never received any complaint while you were here. But do know now and really apologize that I don't have a chance to make it better for your while you were here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel
Am Samui Palace
Am Samui Palace
#16 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort? Share your experiences!