Starting from the top i booked this accomodation from reviews off here from trip advisor, booked flights seperately and away we went not sure what to expect, but have been to Phuket so had some inclination that things might be similar.
Good flight using EVA and sweet transfer to Koh Samui via Bangkok Airways. Yes on arrival tired but was greeted in person by Steve and his wife Ore.
Obviously tired didnt really want to do much because of late evening so bed to start fresh the next day.
Steve's property is on the outskirts of the town of Lamai, very easy walk in and as far as we were corncened very safe. It is a lovely small dwelling with a lovely pool to dip in when you want a quick dip.
Steve greeted us warmly in the morning and after taking our request for breakie went and purchased very fresh produce for which he did every day and changed it when ever we wished. Service was great, very friendly and gave us a wealth of information.
Steve gave us lifts everywhere when he was free nothing was too much trouble and yes he is a fun guy with good humour. His lovely wife Ore speaks some English and always greets you with a lovely smile and her sister cleans the rooms to a high standard.
We enjoyed their company so on our last but one night treated them to a meal as they made our holiday very very special!
Steve plays guitar and sings and is pretty good, plays twice a week in two venues and we attended most of his gigs as we like the style of music he plays from Dire Straits, Clapton even through to Elvis. If he has room he will take you along and if he is playing with Chris its a must!
Lamai is lovely, nice beach the end where Steve is and nice and quiet with a good beach restaraunt called the Zenith. 10 min walk tops with brousing to do on the way with no hills as such for you non walkers!
Tesco Lotus is about a 8 min walk and oh my god what a fab clean supermarket. After doing a little shopping / browsing we had lunch there in a big food hall which was expensive at about £1.20 a big wow and fab!
Eating in Lamai is good however the street stalls knock out great local food at silly cheap prices.
A must visit to the Shamrock (Irish bar) who have live music from 10pm every night and we loved the band Ovada who are very entertaining. Say hello to Noel and Danny who will make you very welcome with their great staff. In Lamai go see the lady boy show very funny indeed and the Thai boxing was great Saturday night in the centre, both free events.
Back to Steve and Chaulty Towers. My partner suffers from a bad back and initailly found the bed hard (it wasnt) however he looked after us and laid on some extra bedding!!!!!
She soon found it was fine and as beds go very comfortable and plenty of room. Steve can guide you with some good sights to see and can organise transport delivered to the premises if needed which is cheap and saves you going through passport details.
Steve speaks fluent Thai and is simply a great host and now a good friend as we will be returning at some stage for sure! There is lots to do on Koh Samui and we need to see the rest as the island its simply lovely, in my opinion ahead of Phuket by miles. It is exotic, quite, lively and what scenery especially when you get into the hills.
If you failed to enjoy a stay with Steve we would be surprised as he is a gem for help and fun.
Big thank you Karen & John xx
ps life mega hectic since we have been back and hating it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Small villa style hotel, husband (UK) and wife (Thai) owned and managed. Visitors arrive as guests and leave as friends and often return several times every year. Don't be fooled by our low price, our rooms are of a higher standard than some much more expensive hotels and resorts. Enjoy a cold beer at the pools edge, we also have BBQs every week. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chaulty Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaulty Towers Hotel Lamai Beach
- Chaulty Towers Ko Samui/Lamai Beach