“Great for Couples and Backpackers”

Ibed Chic & Stylish Backpacker Hostel
Boston
“Great for Couples and Backpackers”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

After a long and and tedious trip from Krabi, we were relieved to be welcomed by a very kind young woman who spoke great English. We booked a 2-person dorm room for just the two of us since we knew we would want some privacy after sharing a van, bus and ferry with people for the last 8 hours.

The room was spacious! It had a seating area, LCD flat screen, plenty of shelves for our toiletries and books and most importantly, an AC that worked!

The common areas were well kept. I really liked the free internet. I never had to wait to use the computer since we woke up early in the morning and never had anyone waiting for me to get off the computer. That was definitely a great feature since I was able to upload pictures and update my blog.

The kitchen was really clean and modern. We used the fridge to store our bottle waters and beers and they were always there when we returned for the.

The breakfast was more like a snack. The usual mini muffins, croissants and thin bread. We ate a few morsels and grabbed snacks before lunch.

The showers were nicely designed with glass tiles. Soap was also provided in the stalls. The faucets were kind of annoying. They try to be green so they had motion sensors to turn on and off the water. On our floor, only one of the three faucets were working, so there were times where we had to wait to use the sink. I also had an incident when I was washing my face with face wash and couldn't get the sink to work. It is extremely sensitive.

The location of the hostel is superb! It was short walk to the restaurants and Lamai center and across the street from beach access. Every night we would walk to the food market for a cheap meal.

I would definitely recommend this hostel to couples and backpackers and single travelers.

Since we went in off season (September), there wasn't much going in terms of social gathers in the common areas to meet other travelers. People were either out and about or in their rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim-Marie

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Ibed is an amazing place to stay.
Me and 3 of my friends were backpacking.
We reached lamai and searched for a place to stay. It was perfect. The price was just right. Clean rooms. Amazing kitchen. stayed for 3 days.

Perfect place for backpackers.

Room Tip: We were 4 of us and we got a 4 bed private area. amazing.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2011

This was my first stay in hostel ever and I was pleasantly surprised. The private rooms are very comfortable and clean and so are the common areas - bathrooms and showers. Obviously, the breakfast is nothing to write home about but given you pay $15 a night including a meal, it is an amazing value. Also, great location by Lamai Beach.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We were 3 of us traveling together and we decided to stay in a hostel to save some money. This was my first time in a hostel and I had a great experience. The hostel itself is very clean and well maintained and looks like it has just been renovated. The rooms have bunk beds but each bed is super comfortable, and has a nice reading light, electrical outlet and a little rod in the end where you can hang your clothes. Each room also has a little TV with pretty good international channels. In general, the place has a very modern feel to it - almost like the "W" of the hostels world.

The hostel itself is located on Lamai beach so it's a little further away from all the touristy stuff but that's what we were looking for. You can also access Lamai beach from the hostel itself (cut right across another hotel in front of the beach).

Breakfast was included in our rate but was pretty simple. Toast, croissants, some juice and instant tea / coffee.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the same floor as check in desk.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
New York City, New York, USA
Reviewed 12 August 2011

For the price, this place can't be beat.

It is an excellent place - it is just like a four star hotel anywhere else in the world. The only thing I felt uncomfortable about was there was no peephole in the private room door, and there was no chain lock like there are in hotels. However, that's understandable because this place is not a hotel. It's a hostel.

You will meet interesting people there. Silent time is from 11 pm to 7 am. The communal area is open air but very clean. They have a box of tissues on one of the tables, and two washcloths. The plates, dishes and cups were very nice, not chipped or anything. The refrigerator and freezer were nice and they had a microwave, although I didn't use it. You can buy a small water for 10 baht and a large water for 15 baht and you can even buy food. They have a computer you can use (but I never used it).

We only stayed two nights because we were on a very strict schedule, but it's the nicest hostel I've ever stayed at. Usually I prefer to stay at hotels, but this hostel was amazing, so I'm glad we ended up staying there.

On the third floor is where the private rooms are. It's worth it to pay the extra money for the private room (I don't like dorm rooms)! The only thing is sometimes the toilet paper ran out because I think the other people staying there were taking it into their rooms, or maybe taking it home. The most important thing to remember if you stay here is that this place is NOT a hotel, even though it is so nice you WILL forget!!! This place is a hostel and has hostel rules. I found the staff extremely nice and helpful. I recommend tipping whoever changes the linens and blankets in your private room (obviously, if you're staying in the dorm, there's no need to tip). Just 20 baht will do. The staff do appreciate it and they're not insulted at all, as long as you do it politely.

There is so much more I could write. tl;dr, they have a falling rain shower. The water pressure isn't strong, but the bathroom (shower area) is amazing. The pictures are completely honest and do not do this place justice!!!! If you need more information or have any questions, please feel free to email me: graphit@gmail.com

tl;dr: Stay here. You will not regret it. It's just like a hotel but better (as long as you keep in mind it's a hostel, with hostel rules).

PS, I almost forgot. You are not allowed to eat food in the private rooms (and probably not in the dorm rooms either) because if you eat food in the private rooms, bugs will come. Like flying cockroaches. So please be polite and respect the hostel rules. Also, they have free breakfast. The chocolate croissants are good, I do not recommend the wheat bread, the white bread was okay but hard for me to eat. They also have regular croissants so make sure you cut it open to check which is which. I personally found the apple and orange juice too sweet. Breakfast is from 7 am to 11 am I think. Please remember to clean up after yourself (no crumbs on the table, no water rings on the tables) as it is a hostel, and not a hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the private room, NOT the dorm room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 15 June 2011

IBED is the price of an hostel with the advantage of a several stars hotel.

I stayed more than one week in Ibed. I planned to stay a few days but this hostel is so good and relaxing than leaving is difficult !

Nothing to criticize : bed are perfects, big lockers, mini tv on each bed (with earphones provided), curtains etc. They provide bed sheet, cover, towels and the breakfast is included (bread, jam, butter, tea,..). The staff is good and the wifi is working well.

On the top of that, you can use the facilities of the five star hotel on the other side of the road and swim blissfully on the sea.

Of course, a dorm (even that good) stays a dorm : sometimes you can be waked by other people coming back after parties early morning but compare to a lot of other hostel this one is really quiet (the door, the locker, are not really noisy).

The rooms are also really cheap if you prefer quietness and privacy.

It's really easy to meet other people while taking breakfast or in the common room watching TV or else.

I WARMLY recommand it, it's not even expensive because the breakfast is included so it's realllllly worth its price !

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Amyonite
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 May 2011

this is one stylish hostel. i'm not a backpacker, but i was traveling alone so i thought i would look into a hostel vs. a cheap hotel. i'm so glad i did. ibed's worthy of being in a decor magazine. the accommodations were clean and roomy, with personal tvs in bunk beds. and i can't get over how awesome the bathrooms were especially its shower area, very spa-like. (love the rainfall showerheads.) the staff was very nice, one of them played translator when i took the thai cooking class downstairs. and it was so easy to meet other travelers, made a friend pretty much the moment i dropped off my bags. there's no pool, but the pavilion resort across the street kindly let us use theirs (and offered towels). note: breakfast is pretty minimal with pastries but you can store food and drinks in the fridge, which is good if you're there for more than a few days.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Backpacker Social Experience
Samui Hostel
Samui Hostel
#71 of 454 in Ko Samui

Been to Ibed Chic & Stylish Backpacker Hostel? Share your experiences!