“Clean, mod and central.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibed Chic & Stylish Backpacker Hostel

Ibed Chic & Stylish Backpacker Hostel
Wellington, New Zealand
“Clean, mod and central.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Located right near Lamai Beach, the I-Bed is a clean and modern backpackers. I really enjoyed my stay here. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and even the communal bathroom and showers were decent. They even gave us a free upgrade! The only downside is that it is a bit noisy. You can hear the comings and goings of other guests all night!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

This is one of the best hostels that I have stayed at. The facilities are great, centrally located, 2 minutes to the beach. Highly recommend for all, as the private rooms are as great and the dorms.

Breakfast is a little limited but awesome place to stay in Koh Samui.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

This hostel seems like it was purpose-built with a lavish budget. It looks super cool, and facilities are very usable, if a bit worn and clunky at times.

The social environment didn't seem super great the nights I was there, but I was there at a quiet time (Bangkok floods).

Hostel guests have free access to the beach at the associated resort across the street, but I didn't take a look.

My main problem was the location. I think that most hostelers prefer be in Chaweng than Lamai, and transportation back and forth is not super cheap if you aren't in a big group. If you don't particularly need the social scene of a hostel, it might be better to check into one of the many resorts on Samui.

Security was questionable because they didn't have locking doors for the dorm rooms, and the doors from the front desk area into the rest of the hostel were often unlocked, even when the front desk was unattended at night. My private room did include a properly locking door as well as a basic room safe.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank David M
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

Ibed is about as good as it gets when it comes to hostel's in Asia! What a fantastic, modern, new property located in the heart of Lamai Beach. Our private room was clean, beds comfortable and A/C pumpin'! We stayed at i-bed over New Years and to celebrate the hostel was offering 'cheap' beer and mixed drinks which most of us enjoyed before heading out to Phangan or elsewhere. The kitchen and lounge areas in the hotel were very nice, and the sun loungers on the third floor were perfect for an early morning read before heading to the beach. My only two complaints are that the doors on the third floor where the private rooms are located slam shut and the noise echos down the hall. There are signs asking guests to hold the door closed but that doesn't seem to happen. Also, you have to leave your shoes at the front and unfortunately a pair of my sandals were stolen. I didn't complain to the hotel as they were black Havianas (a very common sandal) and could have easily been taken by mistake - not hostels problem - however the issue could have been avoided if we were able to bring our shoes to our rooms. Apart from this, I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a great quality hostel in Lamai!

Room Tip: Fantastic!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephyeng
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

After a long and and tedious trip from Krabi, we were relieved to be welcomed by a very kind young woman who spoke great English. We booked a 2-person dorm room for just the two of us since we knew we would want some privacy after sharing a van, bus and ferry with people for the last 8 hours.

The room was spacious! It had a seating area, LCD flat screen, plenty of shelves for our toiletries and books and most importantly, an AC that worked!

The common areas were well kept. I really liked the free internet. I never had to wait to use the computer since we woke up early in the morning and never had anyone waiting for me to get off the computer. That was definitely a great feature since I was able to upload pictures and update my blog.

The kitchen was really clean and modern. We used the fridge to store our bottle waters and beers and they were always there when we returned for the.

The breakfast was more like a snack. The usual mini muffins, croissants and thin bread. We ate a few morsels and grabbed snacks before lunch.

The showers were nicely designed with glass tiles. Soap was also provided in the stalls. The faucets were kind of annoying. They try to be green so they had motion sensors to turn on and off the water. On our floor, only one of the three faucets were working, so there were times where we had to wait to use the sink. I also had an incident when I was washing my face with face wash and couldn't get the sink to work. It is extremely sensitive.

The location of the hostel is superb! It was short walk to the restaurants and Lamai center and across the street from beach access. Every night we would walk to the food market for a cheap meal.

I would definitely recommend this hostel to couples and backpackers and single travelers.

Since we went in off season (September), there wasn't much going in terms of social gathers in the common areas to meet other travelers. People were either out and about or in their rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim-Marie
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Ibed is an amazing place to stay.
Me and 3 of my friends were backpacking.
We reached lamai and searched for a place to stay. It was perfect. The price was just right. Clean rooms. Amazing kitchen. stayed for 3 days.

Perfect place for backpackers.

Room Tip: We were 4 of us and we got a 4 bed private area. amazing.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

This was my first stay in hostel ever and I was pleasantly surprised. The private rooms are very comfortable and clean and so are the common areas - bathrooms and showers. Obviously, the breakfast is nothing to write home about but given you pay $15 a night including a meal, it is an amazing value. Also, great location by Lamai Beach.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
#11 of 214 in Bophut
Ananas Hostel Koh Samui
Ananas Hostel Koh Samui
#10 of 80 in Maret

Been to Ibed Chic & Stylish Backpacker Hostel? Share your experiences!