“These guys are dodgy”

Ranked #14 of 40 Lamai Beach B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“These guys are dodgy”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Warning: these guys are liars. We had booked the highest quality (and expensive) room category a couple of months in advance through booking.com (advertised as having sea views – we now understand that this would have been on the top floor – floor 4 from memory). When we turned up, the lady at the front counter took us to a room on the first floor (it had a balcony, but the view was rubbish and had absolutely no privacy). When we asked about the sea views advertised, she told us that they had booked out those rooms. We obviously emphasised that we had contracted for the room with sea views. This started a conversation containing several lies by her, including (i) telling us that our booking did not contain an advertisement of sea views (we had to point out where this was stated on our booking form), and (ii) telling us that we could have a room on the second top floor (saying that it was “same same” as the top floor – but this can’t be true, given that they charge a different price for the top floor as opposed to the second top floor), all the while trying to make us pay for a room on the top floor. We decided to take our deposit back and find another place to stay – we would strongly advise other potential customers to do the same. If people lie to your face, can you trust that they won’t steal something from your belongings when you aren’t in your room? We had to give this rating of 1 on TripAdvisor, but if we had the option, we would’ve given it a 0!

Room Tip: Choose the top floor if you can - with sea views. If you choose this, it doesn't guarantee you...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tulleth

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I have been to Lamai about 3 times and each time I stayed at the WMC Muay Thai gym. I can no longer train muay thai due to a serious back injury but I still wanted to come to Koh Samui again. So I decided to spoil myself and booked a room (had to pay a deposit also of 150$CAN) at Golden Sands Resort which is beachfront and supposed to be nice. Unfortunately it was terrible. I am not picky but the bed was SO OLD that there was literally no cushion left on it and it felt like wires, the next day I woke up with EXTREMELY bad back pain.
I searched around and tried out the beds of all the beachfront expensive places and they were all pretty much the same - GARBAGE.
Finally I tried out Lamoon Lamai. It has the nicest beds in all of Koh Samui and probably Thailand!!
The staff there were extremely nice and the lady felt sorry for me and gave me the room with the big bathtub at the cheaper rate so I could soak my hurt back. The rooms was spotless, modern and extremely clean. Great balcony and they clean your room very well everyday and stock it with free water.
This is by far the BEST hotel in Koh Samui!! Seriously, it was the most comfortable place I have ever stayed and I travel A LOT!!
If you are concerned about it not having a pool or being beachfront dont worry because the beach is literally a 3 min walk across the street and if you really wanna use a pool you can use the beachfront hotel pools/lounge chairs ect.. for 100baht per day which is only like 3$
The hotel is only about $30 per night so even if you used another beachfront hotels facilities, its still only gonna cost you like $33 per night and this way you get a great hotel room, WAY WAY better than all the so called expensive nice hotels on the beachfront.

Ps. To that first reviewer who complained saying the they tried to rip her off and police came. You are pathetic. This hotel wouldnt waste their time trying to scam someone for 3$!! You are just paranoid and if you are really THAT concerned about 3 bucks, then you probably shouldnt be traveling cause you obviously can't afford it!

Room Tip: Room 205 was great for me! :)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank BuAkAW U
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Hidden little gem in the heart of Lamai. Five minutes to the beach, five minutes to all the action, five minutes to Muay Thai gym - five minutes to pretty much everything. It can get a little loud at night, but the powerful AC drowns it out. They keep this Hotel very, very clean - its awesome! $1000 baht per night ($30 Canadian) is amazing! No breakfast though, but we didn't mind - we jumped on our scooter at 7:00am and found our own little spots. Staff was super nice,

I can't wait to go back,

Room Tip: You need AC - its 35 to 40 degrees everyday!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
surgeon_1983
Reviewed 11 February 2012

stayed for a few days before going to Phangnan to the full moon party. Nice rooms, good beds, decent price for the accompdation. Free coffee. Close to the beach. Owners were helpful, and spoke English well. Overall would recommend.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank surgeon_1983
Holland
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We had a room in the main building, they are a bit better then the rooms in the yard. In mid season we paid 800 Bath a night for a real clean room with a perfect bed, much cheaper then hotels around. Rooms are cleaned every day, new towels every day, free coffee and tea facilities on the first floor. The Thai lady in the shop (she is not the owner) was very helpfull to answer all our questions.
Nothing to complain about, should recommend to everybody who want a good clean room in Lamai without any further fuss.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex2293
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Stayed here for a few days after searching up and down the beach for a vacant room at a reasonable price.
The hotels that dominate the beach are mostly expensive costing between 2000-3500baht. We were traveling on a budget so walked up the road that runs behind the beach hotels, where we found Lamoon Lamai.
The rooms are behind the 7-11 and are very clean and tidy, we had fresh towels, 2 bottles of water and our room made up every day. The room included TV, fridge, air-con, fan, large double bed and clean tiled bathroom with hot shower.
We paid 800baht p/n which we were pleased with. The beach is a 5 minute walk and quite nice, the sea was pretty rough when we visited.
The road that the hotel is on is lined with bars, resaurants and shops and it's a nice walk down to the night food stalls which you have to visit.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 17 January 2011

I checked in with the female owner with 500 bahts with a written receipt, but 20 mins later, the male owner came to knock my door and told me that his wife doesn’t speak good English therefore made a mistake on the rent. The correct rent should be 600 bahts, so I needed to pay extra 100 bahts. I thought it’s such a scam so told him that I’m not playing along with his game. I’m checking out instead. Then after I was ready to check out, he asked for a fee of using the room for 25 mins and accused me for showering which I didn’t. It turned out the fee is exactly 500 bahts. I was like WTF - I stayed at the room for 25 mins and got charged for 500 baths? And it wasn’t even my fault. His wife was there and claimed that she told me its 600 bahts in the beginning but somehow I only paid 500 bahts. But, remember, she was the one writing me a receipt.. it was clearly written 500 bahts.

I then asked for the police. The corrupted Thai polices came and didn’t even try to understand the situation. Perhaps because they don’t know English very well, and the male owner talked in Thai to the policeman, so the policemen agreed that I was lying and showed me their guns for threatening me to pay the extra 100 bahts, or they will take me to jail. I was terrified about the horrible service and injustice of this country. IT WAS JUST A DISASTER!! It literally killed my traveling good mood. I’d say hmm.. avoid this place if you can. The owners are the biggest liars ever!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo