“Good value but certainly nothing special”
Review of Lamoon Lamai House

Lamoon Lamai House
Ranked #15 of 45 Lamai Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I stayed three nights at Lamoon Lamai in a fan bungalow. Admittedly it's good value for money for travelers on a budget, but I sometimes wondered if I should have spent that bit more - hence the 'average' review, which doesn't mean bad, it just means average!

When I checked in the staff were unfriendly and made no attempt to go out of their way, hence as it's not necessary to walk through the office to and from your room I didn't see any staff for the remainder of my stay - until I checked out.

The room was very big with a very big bed but absolutely roasting hot. Of course I'd expect this in the hot season but was disappointed to find the fan mounted on the wall, which wasn't nearly as effective at keeping the room cool as a ceiling fan. I also noted an air con unit in the room but with no remote control, so they clearly stick to delivering what you pay for - i.e. fan only, which is fair enough. Unfortunately the air con unit had a bright blinking light on it that lit up the room at night!

Lamoon Lamai is in a good location, just a minute's walk from the beach through a hotel resort opposite. It's a nice beach but I recommend making the walk up the far end (turn left on the beach), it's much quieter and with nice places to eat - it feels a lot less touristy.

If this is your budget I'm sure you could do a lot worse.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank magicfish79

Reviewed 11 January 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for five days over New Years and loved it. The bungalows were conveniently tucked away from the busy street but close to the beach and all the restaurants of Lamai. Our rooms were well kept everyday and the manager was very friendly and informative. Every time we needed help regarding a taxi or a local tour, he was more than helpful. During our time in Thailand, we stayed at some more upscale places. This was supposed to be our "budget" hotel we planned to stay at to save a little money. That being said, we actually enjoyed this place more than the others because we didn't feel ripped off when we left and the people were much more friendly than any of the other places. The rooms were clean, have aircon, and also a safe is provided if you are worried about your valuables. If I come back to Koh Samui, I am definitely staying here again.

Room Tip: Bungalows were nice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller20121981
Reviewed 8 January 2013

The owner was quite helpful to me when booking a trip to Ko Phangan and getting me to my ferry when leaving Ko Samui. Laundry at the hotel is cheaper than at other surrounding laundry places. Rooms are nicely furnished. Ended up on floor with balcony seating, top floor. The noise from nearby bars is audible at night but not overpowering. Beach is close by as well as lots of amenities, WiFi included. Would come back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank eponymous_coward
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I booked the Lamoon Lamai for the first night of our stay on Koh Samui - we had arrived on the island at around 4pm and were catching the ferry over to Koh Phangan the next morning, so really just wanted a comfortable bed for the night - which is exactly what we got :)

This place is fantastic value for money - the bed was huuuge & extremely comfortable, just perfect for when you have been flying! The location is absolutely perfect, just a short walk from the central square where we were able to eat fantastic street food and watch Thai boxing - the perfect start to our Thailand adventure! There is even a 711 next door where we got a few drinks to enjoy on the balcony before heading out for the evening!

When making our way back from Koh Phangan / Koh Tao we did not return to Lamoon Lamai however this was that by this point we were keen on "roughing it" and fancing a bungalow on the beach! I would not say this is one of the more typical "Thai" accommodation but if you are in need of a comfortable bed, or some western home comforts (e.g. the toilets!) this place comes highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen L
Reviewed 27 August 2012

For the money you won't find a better place to stay, the beds are the most comfortable of all the hotels I stayed in Thailand. Even 5 star! The staff are excellent and make your stay as nice as possible. The location is perfect!! Next door is 711 and the beach a few minutes walk. We love it so much here for the money we cancelled our final weeks hotel in pattaya and returning to Lamoon Lamai.

The only thing I would say is the shower we had was not very good at all- tiny shower head that changed temperature a fair bit but we had an outside shower also just off our balcony which was fab!!! Also if you like to go to bed early then the noise of the bars may bother you as they stay open untill 3am. This wasn't a problem for us. Also they do like to swap rooms and even if you book one type of room they will say it isnt available and put you in a cheaper one. changing rooms was abit annoying

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurenlittle
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Warning: these guys are liars. We had booked the highest quality (and expensive) room category a couple of months in advance through booking.com (advertised as having sea views – we now understand that this would have been on the top floor – floor 4 from memory). When we turned up, the lady at the front counter took us to a room on the first floor (it had a balcony, but the view was rubbish and had absolutely no privacy). When we asked about the sea views advertised, she told us that they had booked out those rooms. We obviously emphasised that we had contracted for the room with sea views. This started a conversation containing several lies by her, including (i) telling us that our booking did not contain an advertisement of sea views (we had to point out where this was stated on our booking form), and (ii) telling us that we could have a room on the second top floor (saying that it was “same same” as the top floor – but this can’t be true, given that they charge a different price for the top floor as opposed to the second top floor), all the while trying to make us pay for a room on the top floor. We decided to take our deposit back and find another place to stay – we would strongly advise other potential customers to do the same. If people lie to your face, can you trust that they won’t steal something from your belongings when you aren’t in your room? We had to give this rating of 1 on TripAdvisor, but if we had the option, we would’ve given it a 0!

Room Tip: Choose the top floor if you can - with sea views. If you choose this, it doesn't guarantee you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tulleth
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I have been to Lamai about 3 times and each time I stayed at the WMC Muay Thai gym. I can no longer train muay thai due to a serious back injury but I still wanted to come to Koh Samui again. So I decided to spoil myself and booked a room (had to pay a deposit also of 150$CAN) at Golden Sands Resort which is beachfront and supposed to be nice. Unfortunately it was terrible. I am not picky but the bed was SO OLD that there was literally no cushion left on it and it felt like wires, the next day I woke up with EXTREMELY bad back pain.
I searched around and tried out the beds of all the beachfront expensive places and they were all pretty much the same - GARBAGE.
Finally I tried out Lamoon Lamai. It has the nicest beds in all of Koh Samui and probably Thailand!!
The staff there were extremely nice and the lady felt sorry for me and gave me the room with the big bathtub at the cheaper rate so I could soak my hurt back. The rooms was spotless, modern and extremely clean. Great balcony and they clean your room very well everyday and stock it with free water.
This is by far the BEST hotel in Koh Samui!! Seriously, it was the most comfortable place I have ever stayed and I travel A LOT!!
If you are concerned about it not having a pool or being beachfront dont worry because the beach is literally a 3 min walk across the street and if you really wanna use a pool you can use the beachfront hotel pools/lounge chairs ect.. for 100baht per day which is only like 3$
The hotel is only about $30 per night so even if you used another beachfront hotels facilities, its still only gonna cost you like $33 per night and this way you get a great hotel room, WAY WAY better than all the so called expensive nice hotels on the beachfront.

Ps. To that first reviewer who complained saying the they tried to rip her off and police came. You are pathetic. This hotel wouldnt waste their time trying to scam someone for 3$!! You are just paranoid and if you are really THAT concerned about 3 bucks, then you probably shouldnt be traveling cause you obviously can't afford it!

Room Tip: Room 205 was great for me! :)
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Weekender Bungalow
#19 of 45 in Lamai Beach
Green Canyon Hip & Cheap Resort
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort

Been to Lamoon Lamai House? Share your experiences!